Educate me on snorkels

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I know what a snorkels purpose is, don't get me wrong, but what I don't understand is this:

A snorkel should allow me to submerge the engine with standing water up to the point of the snorkel inlet, which is typically slightly above the roof line of the vehicle.

So, that's almost to say that I could go through standing water that is up to my windshield (or over) without any engine issues.

I understand that, but if you were to even attempt that you'd be flooding the entire inside of the vehicle with water (since it's not waterproof) and probably be freezing your damn ass off (assuming it's cold water, which it likely is) and frying all the electronics (including the fuse box) inside of the vehicle.

So, if that is true, what the fuck is the point of a snorkel then? In order for it to be even remotely effective you'd need to waterproof fuse boxes, electronics, etc.

Reactions: Agustin David
Exactly Chris, exactly. Most who buy them are just buying into the image they find cool and reminiscent of old exotic safari movies.

Reactions: D M
Exactly Chris, exactly. Most who buy them are just buying into the image they find cool and reminiscent of old exotic safari movies.

That's what I thought! I was thinking about this today with all the flooding going on in Oregon. Like even if I could drive through 5 feet of standing water, what the hell is the point if it would just drench me in water, fry my electronics and basically destroy my Jeep.

In other words a snorkel is almost nothing more than purely looks.

Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
He'll I pressure wash my engine bay and get a p0303 code because I get moisture in the coil pack LOL

Snorkeling kits work great in a diesel application because of their lack of electronics (per say)
IMHO on a jeep it goes well with hijack and steel chains laced between tow shackles

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
IMHO on a jeep it goes well with hijack and steel chains laced between tow shackles

I was just about to say, pair a snorkel with a hi-jack and you've got a real mall crawler right there.

I shudder to think of what happens the moment you submerge that fusebox in water... There goes everything!

What Sasq said. The snorkel gets the intake up high enough to draw in colder cleaner air. If you are in a pack of rigs going down a logging road and it is dry out the snorkel can get clean air for you. Now if you have ever seen the swamp buggies down south they submerge their rigs like you are talking about. They go thru and waterproof every plug, connection and what ever else to seal it. Look at the military waterproof system on the older Jeeps.

Now if you have ever seen the swamp buggies down south they submerge their rigs like you are talking about. They go thru and waterproof every plug, connection and what ever else to seal it. Look at the military waterproof system on the older Jeeps.

I believe that, if it's military spec it has to be up to the job!

Clearly the mall crawlers add them because each direction and dimension change in a snorkel adds to losses in efficiency... [emoji50] wtf??

uploadfromtaptalk1450671765692.jpg

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Yes Jerry it doesn't always work out that way but the dust is denser down lower than it is up higher. Everything can be debated and shot down.

Trust me... as one who mostly wheels in dusty desert conditions here in SOCAL, I can tell you first-hand there's no difference that I can detect between the dust at 4' vs. 7'. The top of my Jeep gets just as covered in dirt and dust as the bottom of it does. :)

Reactions: lindsey97
Not going to argue with you Jerry but I'll stand by my thoughts. As I said it might not work in EVERY condition but in most.