Effing Milkjugs

Vulture

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So, over the last 2 years I've been working on my TJ. Changing out axles, installed lift, auxiliary lighting, lockers, front bumper, etc, etc. Now, each project has had it's shining moments of cussing, wishing to punch some engineer (or Corporate Accountant) in the nose, bleeding knuckles, head scratching, walking away to cool down a bit before trying to proceed with the current aggravation etc. You've all been there I'm sure. BUT, today I embarked upon a task that I wrongly thought would take maybe 10 minutes, the removal of the milk jugs from my rear bumper. I am installing some flush-mount back-up lights in the bumper and wanted to have easier access to the inside of the bumper. Surely, those torx screws wouldn't be too bad to get out. So torx screwdriver, impact driver, torx socket, air chisel, 1/2 bottle of Kroil, cut-off grinder, pry bar, big screwdriver, bottle of cooling water, and almost every single cuss word I know, I finally got them off. This was hands-down the most aggravating task I've done so far on the whole jeep. Even the top shock bolts weren't this big of a pain in the ass.
There is, I admit, a degree of damage to the jugs afterwards.

Working on a TJ in Indiana appears to be a bit more involved than doing so in the desert...I believe the sum total of tools used to remove the rear milk jugs when I did that was 1 torx head screwdriver. :hmmm:

Working on a TJ in Indiana appears to be a bit more involved than doing so in the desert...I believe the sum total of tools used to remove the rear milk jugs when I did that was 1 torx head screwdriver. :hmmm:
You could say that! I remember getting so frustrated that we finally just hacked the one off. Good ole rust. But I used my kroil today for the first time and it worked like a charm !

Reactions: KCsTJ
So, over the last 2 years I've been working on my TJ. Changing out axles, installed lift, auxiliary lighting, lockers, front bumper, etc, etc. Now, each project has had it's shining moments of cussing, wishing to punch some engineer (or Corporate Accountant) in the nose, bleeding knuckles, head scratching, walking away to cool down a bit before trying to proceed with the current aggravation etc. You've all been there I'm sure. BUT, today I embarked upon a task that I wrongly thought would take maybe 10 minutes, the removal of the milk jugs from my rear bumper. I am installing some flush-mount back-up lights in the bumper and wanted to have easier access to the inside of the bumper. Surely, those torx screws wouldn't be too bad to get out. So torx screwdriver, impact driver, torx socket, air chisel, 1/2 bottle of Kroil, cut-off grinder, pry bar, big screwdriver, bottle of cooling water, and almost every single cuss word I know, I finally got them off. This was hands-down the most aggravating task I've done so far on the whole jeep. Even the top shock bolts weren't this big of a pain in the ass.
There is, I admit, a degree of damage to the jugs afterwards.
But just think of it, you made my day!

Also, have lived your avatar ever since that thread about avatars about a year ago. It’s really something special.

I know you guys are gonna think I've lost my senses but I actually want to re-install the jugs once I get the lights installed. Indiana rust sucks sucks sucks. I'll be putting them back on with SS hardware though. And Nev-R-Seize.

Something similar happened to one of my rear jugs, the T-nut broke the plastic it was mounted to and started spinning so I had to yank on the jug. Taking that one out took longer than the other 3 combined.