EJD's '00 TJ Sahara Overland Build & Excursions

I just noticed the other day that my radiator hose is ramming right into those AC lines there. Was yours doing that? And did you get the Gates to resolve that?

P.s. it sucks moving up here and everything being shut down, even in MT. I can't find anywhere to go camp. Showers are closed, bathrooms are usually closed. We found one place in ID, that was nice. If you have any suggestions for boondocking in Western MT, let me know. I'm getting a teardrop trailer and buying a generator and camp shower so we can do what we want.

Great pics in your thread. Looks great on your new found trails!
So yeah my upper rad hose was touching those ac lines and it had even melted the top of it where the contact was. The gates did fix that too though, this one was just perfect fit (slightly shorter than the other).

I do have an excellent off grid campsite if you find yourself in the Flathead area of Montana. I’ve help a few other jeepers get to my spot and they had a heck of an experience too. Think this spot would be difficult to access with a trailer unless it was very capable. Good thing about my spot is there is a plan b spot which a trailer could stay at. Conveniently located near the Blacktail-Wild Bill trail (badge of honor trail). I would love to get back there sometime and enjoy it again!

Also I hope it goes without saying if you and your fam ever consider coming to Oregon, there are options in the Tillamook state forest, and dispersed sand dune camping which I would be happy to show you guys around. Lemme know anytime!

I’ve got my camp bathroom all hooked up too, think I’m going roof rack style though instead of the trailer. Also have you seen the new Yakima EasyRider? https://www.yakima.com/easyrider

• Love
Reactions: JMT
Just wanted to say I’m pretty grateful and thankful for this little one of mine on this Father’s Day. Had to pop the doors off and windows out for a quick cruise up the coast with my baby.

4ED7241E-3AA8-4B7D-B1E7-FD425DF933C9.jpeg
4D7BEDDD-578E-41F5-A8E7-D0BDFA03EB9B.jpeg

Happy day to all the dads out there! 🤙

You always take such awesome pics! I need to get down there as well. Need to hurry up with my new tires 😜

And how are you liking the Garmin Overlander?! I've been eyeing it a little, but at the moment I'm leaning more towards a tablet and just running GAIA or something simular.

Thanks! I should update my thread here with the addition of my new GPS, the Garmin Overlander.

I feel like I was in the same boat as most with it having a big price tag, but I like to have the easy access and there have been so many updates since this has been released that I’m very happy with it now.

044468AA-71D5-4E2D-A1FD-5F77815FE702.jpeg
87E64E4C-FE35-4F76-AF9A-7E7548B15C28.jpeg
3CC10284-A78F-428A-B060-FCAB80D8823C.jpeg
7C8C8ECC-0E7C-46C9-A764-69D415203E37.jpeg
C4C3CCAB-0415-4237-A473-54578E338649.jpeg

I’m pretty familiar with Garmin GPS in general so it’s nice to have a similar interface that seems to be more catered for off-road instead of on for once. I’m loving all the new features this thing come with and the ability to add HuntView is even better now.

Reactions: Vasq and Apparition
Thanks! I should update my thread here with the addition of my new GPS, the Garmin Overlander.

I feel like I was in the same boat as most with it having a big price tag, but I like to have the easy access and there have been so many updates since this has been released that I’m very happy with it now.

View attachment 172355View attachment 172356View attachment 172357View attachment 172359View attachment 172358

I’m pretty familiar with Garmin GPS in general so it’s nice to have a similar interface that seems to be more catered for off-road instead of on for once. I’m loving all the new features this thing come with and the ability to add HuntView is even better now.
Yeah the price point is what has been getting me too. I figured I could get a tablet that can do much more than GPS for the same price (if not less), but I'm really glad to hear how well this works, as I'm still on the fence.

Also, you quoted me from one post to another.. I feel like I'm in the Matrix :LOL:

AND ANOTHER THING, did your trail badge come with that hole in it or did you add it? That's a great idea!

• Haha
Reactions: EJD
Yeah the price point is what has been getting me too. I figured I could get a tablet that can do much more than GPS for the same price (if not less), but I'm really glad to hear how well this works, as I'm still on the fence.

Also, you quoted me from one post to another.. I feel like I'm in the Matrix :LOL:

AND ANOTHER THING, did your trail badge come with that hole in it or did you add it? That's a great idea!
Yeah I know, I just was in the process of posting about it here when you replied on that other thread.

Yeah the Gen2 badges come with those holes to give people the option of mounting it badge style or dog tag style! Pretty awesome right? I have the 2 Oregon ones back to back hanging there. We have to get you some badges! When do you think you’ll be heading our way?

Also yes, about the GPS, so I did get it with $100 off sale plus a Father’s Day promo discount on top of that and my dad split that with me! So a series of fortunate events led to going that way.

Plus the way it mounts to the base is magnetic and the power cord plugs into the mount not the gps, so it just snaps on and powers up instantly. I’m really loving it so far.

Reactions: Vasq and Apparition
Gah! I might have to keep an eye out for another sale. I need to think on it more.

As far as getting down there, this summer for sure!! Week after next I should be in the clear to FINALLY get my new tires (and wheels). Then I'll be ready for action!

the trails are (roughly) a 4.5 hr drive from me. I think if i can get down there early enough they could be done in one day, with camping down there. let me know if I'm way off my rocker here.

Reactions: EJD
Gah! I might have to keep an eye out for another sale. I need to think on it more.

As far as getting down there, this summer for sure!! Week after next I should be in the clear to FINALLY get my new tires (and wheels). Then I'll be ready for action!

the trails are (roughly) a 4.5 hr drive from me. I think if i can get down there early enough they could be done in one day, with camping down there. let me know if I'm way off my rocker here.
Yeah I remember that drive! I once lived in Camano Island just north of you and drove to get these 2 badges.

You would definitely be able to do both trails in the same day. Dispersed camping will be an option for you. Or there are motels nearby too.

Reactions: Vasq
Had a cool time with my daughter today exploring some of the Coast Range. Found an area high point and had lunch at 2,800’ (from sea level) that’s a pretty good vertical rise.

View attachment 177201
Sorry for the 9 month out response - I just ordered the same bumper for my jeep (a green sahara, concidentally) and I noticed that it only has holes for mounting. I want to mount my mopar fog lights on it and figured I'd end up having to drill, which is no biggie but then I saw this as I was searching around - yours look like they're mounted further in, right where the bumper bolts to the frame. How did you go about doing that? Do the lights' mounting plate share a bolt with the bumper itself? Or did you use some other kind of hardware?

Sorry for the 9 month out response - I just ordered the same bumper for my jeep (a green sahara, concidentally) and I noticed that it only has holes for mounting. I want to mount my mopar fog lights on it and figured I'd end up having to drill, which is no biggie but then I saw this as I was searching around - yours look like they're mounted further in, right where the bumper bolts to the frame. How did you go about doing that? Do the lights' mounting plate share a bolt with the bumper itself? Or did you use some other kind of hardware?
I'm betting mounted using the sway bar bolts.

New Yakima Timberline Towers & Roof-less Rack Setup.

View attachment 54297 View attachment 54298 View attachment 54299 View attachment 54300 View attachment 54301 View attachment 54302

Should also have a few of those Axe & Shovel mounts for the sides of the basket on soon too. Adding the RTA back into the fold for a few and will have this thing loaded out in no time.

I really like your build. I have a similar idea for an XJ roof rack but supported by the roll bars. did you use a bracket to connect that basket to the roll bars or are those the supports that came with the basket?

I am loving your basket setup are you able to run the sun shade top with this timberline system on? why did you use round bars instead of the low profile ones that would normally fit the timberline?