EJD's '00 TJ Sahara Overland Build & Excursions

Nice build chronicle. I love the photo of the Jeep sitting in the rain 6 feet away from the hard top...
build-06-jpg.jpg

Nice build chronicle. I love the photo of the Jeep sitting in the rain 6 feet away from the hard top...
View attachment 35160
Thank you!
Lol, putting that Bestop Trail Cover to the test. Deploying the cover is way easier than getting the hardtop back on by yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun
So how did the cover score?
I give it an 8 out of 10. A solid "good"!
No doubt! How did the trail cover work out? The TJ needs something like that.
The thing that knocked points off for me was just that you always wish it could fold up smaller than it does and its kind of bulky to store, depending on your setup. On the flip side of that you get a durable and fully waterproof cover that has the fit and finish Bestop is known for. Its a good buy, I would absolutely recommend it.

I remember I could be in the house, hear it start to rain on our skylights, run outside and deploy it in under a minute with a good hustle.

I give it an 8 out of 10. A solid "good"!
The thing that knocked points off for me was just that you always wish it could fold up smaller than it does and its kind of bulky to store, depending on your setup. On the flip side of that you get a durable and fully waterproof cover that has the fit and finish Bestop is known for. Its a good buy, I would absolutely recommend it.

I remember I could be in the house, hear it start to rain on our skylights, run outside and deploy it in under a minute with a good hustle.
How bulky? Like tool bag bulky or cooler bulky? It's got to be more compact than side and rear windows and soft upper halves though. If you get a chance, fold it up (roll it up?) and throw it in the back. Thanks!

Reactions: EJD
How bulky? Like tool bag bulky or cooler bulky? It's got to be more compact than side and rear windows and soft upper halves though. If you get a chance, fold it up (roll it up?) and throw it in the back. Thanks!
It would be somewhere in-between those 2 sizes i'de estimate, lol. It comes from Bestop in a bag folded up nice and compact about tool bag size, thing is you can't get it back to that packed size, so it ends up being bigger/bulkier.

Reactions: StG58
It would be somewhere in-between those 2 sizes i'de estimate, lol. It comes from Bestop in a bag folded up nice and compact about tool bag size, thing is you can't get it back to that packed size, so it ends up being bigger/bulkier.
Figures. Thanks EJD, for the info.

EAG Classic Rear Bumper went in yesterday and finished it up today.

IMG_7370.JPG
IMG_7372.JPG
IMG_7373.JPG

For the record, a 31" KO2 "clears" the bumper, lol.

Last edited:
Had a little time to install the EAG Classic Front Bumper with winch plate today. Also tossed on the Warn hawse fairlead for fun in preparation for the winch install tomorrow! So excited for this addition finally.
IMG_7429.JPG
IMG_7430.JPG

Reactions: Shamu and b0xcar
Ok, after a couple attempts at mounting my winch and keeping the brush guard on, the Warn M8000-S is finally here to stay!

For those who don't know, with the brush guard on and the Winch mounted in the center of it, the winch would interfere with one of the uprights making the 2 items not be able to work together. However after measuring everything up and finding out that the winch plate is offset by a 1/2" more to one side that the other, the winch can be flipped 180 degrees and installed that way. Mounting it in this fashion is giving me the extra space to bolt the brush guard down and have it be totally centered. (Mind you I had not installed the rope yet so I had to spool that accordingly).

Since I was nesting my winch I chose to relocate the Contactor under the hood of the Jeep for the low profile look and chose to route it up into the ABS Tray. I bought new cables that were the right length to get everything there without going overboard and it looks like a factory upgrade. Called Warn to verify this was ok to do and they backed me up saying all their winches have 6' cables under the hoods connecting winch to control pack so I feel good about everything.

Also for my very first time spooling synthetic winch line, it was harder than I thought getting it all in there nice and neat with the right tension on everything. Took me a few times solo, then I realized it goes so much smoother with 2 people.

IMG_7450.JPG
IMG_7454.JPG
IMG_7455.JPG

Your rig looks sharp, Chief! Every time I see a TJ with Canyons on it, I think about how I could save myself a shitload of money by just using the Canyons I have sitting in the basement, rather than buying my new rims. Love Canyons...they just say "Jeep" to me. :thumbsup:

Your rig looks sharp, Chief! Every time I see a TJ with Canyons on it, I think about how I could save myself a shitload of money by just using the Canyons I have sitting in the basement, rather than buying my new rims. Love Canyons...they just say "Jeep" to me. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Why are you going with a different set of wheels? Increasing the size? I too love the Canyon wheels and was certainly a contributing factor in buying the Jeep I did at the time. Plus I love earth tones, so green & tan it was for me!

Reactions: Squatch
Thanks! Why are you going with a different set of wheels? Increasing the size? I too love the Canyon wheels and was certainly a contributing factor in buying the Jeep I did at the time. Plus I love earth tones, so green & tan it was for me!
"
I have a '98 Moss Green Sahara with the Spice-colored hardtop and soft top. My plan is to run 31" X 10.50" Toyos (which I've already bought) on some "Smoothies" (15" X 8" steel rims with baby moon caps) painted or powder coated a light tan/beige, with the hardtop painted to match. "Jeep" logos across the moon caps. Kind of a nod to the older Jeeps.

Reactions: EJD and 02GreenTJ
"
I have a '98 Moss Green Sahara with the Spice-colored hardtop and soft top. My plan is to run 31" X 10.50" Toyos (which I've already bought) on some "Smoothies" (15" X 8" steel rims with baby moon caps) painted or powder coated a light tan/beige, with the hardtop painted to match. "Jeep" logos across the moon caps. Kind of a nod to the older Jeeps.
I actually really want to have my Canyons powdercoated desert tan to match my sun-faded hard top. I like your style though my friend, good stuff.

Reactions: Squatch
I actually really want to have my Canyons powdercoated desert tan to match my sun-faded hard top. I like your style though my friend, good stuff.
Thanks. It won't be for everyone, I'm sure, but I like the vision I have of it in my head. Check out my build thread. It explains where I'm going with it, including a curved Studebaker pick-up front bumper. No actual building has been done, yet, but quite the accumulation of parts in preparation for it. And for what it's worth, I too, had considered powder coating my Canyons to match my hardtop. I'm astonished that you have the same idea. Wild!

Chopped a piece out of my brush guard today to make room for the winch. I couldn't center the brush guard due to interference on the motor side of the winch, there were 2 points of contact preventing it from being able to be centered. Doesn't look to bad does it?
IMG_7513.JPG
IMG_7517.JPG

Then I scooped up the hardware for DIY Disconnects!
I may end up getting a decent set of discos but, just for fun as a (try it before you buy it) type thing...these were super cheap at the local hardware store.
IMG_7520.JPG
IMG_7523.JPG

Reactions: Shamu and BendLarry
Getting around to some updates...

I take my doors off so often and I got tired of looking at the rusty hinges that I upgraded to the nice, new Delrins!
IMG_7746.JPG
IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG