EJD's '00 TJ Sahara Overland Build & Excursions

Nice build man, giving me lots of ideas of what I might do. Really like the front light upgrade and front bumper. What style is it do you know?
Thanks, I appreciate it! It kind of adapts often to where I live regionally in the US. I travel a lot I suppose and overland frequently. Its a constant build for me really and I have to say I absolutely love the TJ!

The lights are a 10" KC Flex Array and the bumpers are EAG full-width TJ Classic.

Sounds like a bad rod or main bearing, by your description. If you had actually "thrown a rod", you'd know it for certain. There just isn't anything quite like that sound, or the resulting damage! :eek:
Yeah i'm not so sure, i've never heard the sound of a thrown rod in person before but that is what I was told it sounded like from the mechanic that looked at it roadside. I hesitate to upload an audio sample of it because it's cringe worthy. I will say, if that is what happened it will be a sound I never forget.

Though it sounds close to this though...:(

Yeah i'm not so sure, i've never heard the sound of a thrown rod in person before but that is what I was told it sounded like from the mechanic that looked at it roadside. I hesitate to upload an audio sample of it because it's cringe worthy. I will say, if that is what happened it will be a sound I never forget.

Ouch! Yeah, I've thrown a rod through the side of the block on my '60 Chevy 1/2-ton pick-up (235 six-cylinder). It ran for a bit (enough to get me off the main road), but sheee-it, what a racket! Keep us updated with what you find, Chief.

Reactions: EJD

Oh man... that's not a good sound.

OK, so this is a first for me! Have absolutely never done anything like this before and what a learning experience its been. The 4.0L is out!

Now on to the next step, which we've decided will be to drop it off at a local machine shop and have it rebuilt. Have it back in a week or so to reinstall with some nice upgrades.

IMG_9801.JPG

Man, with the engine out you really have access to so many other things, time to clean it up a little and address anything else nearby.

OK, so this is a first for me! Have absolutely never done anything like this before and what a learning experience its been. The 4.0L is out!

Now on to the next step, which we've decided will be to drop it off at a local machine shop and have it rebuilt. Have it back in a week or so to reinstall with some nice upgrades.

View attachment 62952

Man, with the engine out you really have access to so many other things, time to clean it up a little and address anything else nearby.

I hear @Chris will have a spare 4.0L soon :meparto: sucks that happens but at least you’re learning from it!

Reactions: EJD and Chris
So its been a while since i've posted last but i've just been busy with life and trying to juggle this engine situation has made me feel like i'm in over my head a little. I've not driven my Jeep in some time and i'm having withdrawals...i'm not doing well. I took it to a machine shop a while back to get a couple things taken care of and long story short, my engine was in worse shape than we thought. The previous owner neglected this Jeep it appears by the look of the oil pump and I just got it back today in pieces.

At this point the plan is to now scoop up a crate engine from S&J in Spokane and get that shipped over here to Zootown. They willing to give us free shipping and free pickup of the core as well. This will obviously be an identical AMC 4.0L with the same casting number so everything should line up pretty good I hope. Anyway that is whats happening over here.

Reactions: billiebob and JMT
So its been a while since i've posted last but i've just been busy with life and trying to juggle this engine situation has made me feel like i'm in over my head a little. I've not driven my Jeep in some time and i'm having withdrawals...i'm not doing well. I took it to a machine shop a while back to get a couple things taken care of and long story short, my engine was in worse shape than we thought. The previous owner neglected this Jeep it appears by the look of the oil pump and I just got it back today in pieces.

View attachment 78188
View attachment 78189

At this point the plan is to now scoop up a crate engine from S&J in Spokane and get that shipped over here to Zootown. They willing to give us free shipping and free pickup of the core as well. This will obviously be an identical AMC 4.0L with the same casting number so everything should line up pretty good I hope. Anyway that is whats happening over here.
absolutely. I've bought 3 engines from SandJ. absolutely the best.

absolutely. I've bought 3 engines from SandJ. absolutely the best.
Hoping for the best! I gave them my block casting number today and they said there's 1 in stock and ready to roll...i'll probably send payment tomorrow.

What year TJ do you have by the way? Wondering if you have the same one, my casting # is: 53010327AB. Does that seem like the one you have too? Just curious.

Hoping for the best! I gave them my block casting number today and they said there's 1 in stock and ready to roll...i'll probably send payment tomorrow.

What year TJ do you have by the way? Wondering if you have the same one, my casting # is: 53010327AB. Does that seem like the one you have too? Just curious.
Not sure, I have an '05 Rubi. I answer their questions and they supply the correct engine, everytime. The one I bought April '17, I had delivered, installed at Tune Tech on Monroe in Spokane. Another great decision.

Not sure, I have an '05 Rubi. I answer their questions and they supply the correct engine, everytime. The one I bought April '17, I had delivered, installed at Tune Tech on Monroe in Spokane. Another great decision.
Good stuff, and thanks for the recommendation!
Honestly cannot wait to get this Jeep running again.

Another package arrived today! Lol. Wow, this place is amazingly fast.

Now all I have to do is figure out what needs to be swapped over from the core and try to remember how to put it all back inside the Jeep! Anyone up for helping me out with the occasional "what is this and where does it go"? I would really appreciate any help I could get, as i've just never done this or anything remotely close to this before.

So little update here...

It took FOREVER to clean all the sludge and old oil/debris out of the oil pan and valve cover but I made it through and prepped for paint and wire brushed the headers while I was at it, think they look almost new again! Then started swapping over things from the old engine onto the new one and rebuilding it back to where it was. Then we actually got it hooked back up to the engine mounts and connected to the transmission. Still waiting on some parts to arrive, mainly the new cooling system components, and a couple of old breather hoses that broke from just being old now. Hopefully in 2 weeks i'll be breaking it in!

Few pics to add to the thread.

Last edited:
Well make sure you use high ZDDP oil for break in, Joe Gibbs racing has a good oil. I wiped a comp cams because I didnt use the correct oil with high zinc. Once it is broke in, you can use just about any oil afterwards.

Looks nearly ready for Moab!
Haha, closer and closer! These literally just arrived from FedEx!

I have to say, i've never seen the Mopar water pump and radiator as they were in my TJ when I got it, these just look and feel like great quality pieces. Very happy!

Reactions: Shamu and JMT