EJD's '00 TJ Sahara Overland Build & Excursions

Well make sure you use high ZDDP oil for break in, Joe Gibbs racing has a good oil. I wiped a comp cams because I didnt use the correct oil with high zinc. Once it is broke in, you can use just about any oil afterwards.
Good tip! I have here a 6 pack of Lucas which I have never used before but it seems to be what your describing. Besides that its "NOT STREET LEGAL", what do you think?

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Besides the fact that its been way too long, I have this new 4.0 fully installed and it sounds amazing! Just finished buttoning things up today, added the fluids, turned the key and BAM...nothing. My battery was totally dead, lol. (I left the key in the ignition). So after jump starting it, I turned the key again and it started right up, no check engine light, no codes, and everything looks and sounds perfect really. Broke it in and took it for a short drive around town and up the nearby mountain. The feeling was absolutely amazing to be driving this again. I'm so stoked right now to have taken on this project and been able to do a job like this which I never have done anything remotely close to this before. Shout out to my brother for helping me out and seeing this thing through till the end.

Everything that was done and/or replaced was:
4.0L Engine, PCV Valves/grommets/hoses, Oil Cap, A/C Condenser, Radiator, Water Pump, Fan Clutch, Coolant Reservoir, Thermostat and Housing, Belt, Spark Plugs, CPS, Oil Pressure Sending Unit, Air Filter, Oil and Filter, ATF (that leaked out in my garage from sitting so long), Coolant drain, flush, refill.

I removed the KC Flex lights temporarily, as i'll be running a new light config here shortly. Also few new add-ons in the near future are on their way too.

So awesome man! I’m so pumped you did all that. That’s incredible! I hope to see your rig someday when I get up to WA. Absolutely gorgeous and practically brand new underneath. Really great work!

Reactions: EJD
So awesome man! I’m so pumped you did all that. That’s incredible! I hope to see your rig someday when I get up to WA. Absolutely gorgeous and practically brand new underneath. Really great work!
Oh it feels so good to have this Jeep back again. Kind of really took my time but hey we did it!
Thanks for the kind words too, I appreciate that! Looking forward to meeting up with you too, definitely need to Jeep around together at some point when you settle in up here in the NW.

Reactions: JMT
@EJD I am thinking of going with the H&R 1" springs also. Did they still net any increase in height after you put on the EAG bumpers and the winch?
Oh absolutely, adding the extra weight of the bumpers and winch barely lowered it any at all. Even if I stand on the front corner of my bumper it only drops 1/4". They're good springs but its a subtle lift, seems like its best for those looking to keep a stock-ish setup when loaded out with gear. You have 31's right?

Oh absolutely, adding the extra weight of the bumpers and winch barely lowered it any at all. Even if I stand on the front corner of my bumper it only drops 1/4". They're good springs but its a subtle lift, seems like its best for those looking to keep a stock-ish setup when loaded out with gear. You have 31's right?
Thanks, I do have 31s, and that's exactly what I want. A little bit of lift that will work with my 31s and let me add a winch and bumpers without loosing any noticeable height

Thanks, I do have 31s, and that's exactly what I want. A little bit of lift that will work with my 31s and let me add a winch and bumpers without loosing any noticeable height
Those were my thoughts too, the H&R Springs should be a good fit for your setup then!

Reactions: Mrgreg66
So I hooked up a few small add-ons the other day and I really like everything a lot! The Warn Epic Fairlead and Wireless Remote were gifts and the LED 3rd Brake Light and Liteway Tracks were just cheap and I wanted to try them out and see what they were all about.

This fairlead just gives a new face to my M8000-S and I love it. And the wireless remote is so cool, completely plug & play, and works up to 90ft (so the length of useable winch line). I drilled the remote's holster into the right side of the auto shifter panel and it mounted up perfectly with no interference.

The 3rd brake light was the only thing that I didn't have LED in terms of exterior lighting so I wanted to see what looks good for that, and I figure the liteway tracks were just pretty affordable, low-profile, and I figure if they help get out of a jam once they pay for themselves. Plus these mini's are 60% of the size of full recovery tracks so they pack real nice!

Also installed the Yakima Skyrise HD on the TJ's hardtop roof rack and it held up with me inside it. So that's certainly now verified that it is possible if you have the right placement of the roof rack towers. I'm 180lbs roughly and I even tossed my daughter up there with me and she's another 30lbs. Plus the weight of the RTT is 95lbs. Mind you the ladder supports half of the weight but it is doable! I would not go putting 2 adults up there but it hold me and my kiddo, which is more than I was hoping for.

I actually thought the second I put my weight down on it, the roof rack towers were going to break right through my hardtop, but it didn't. Nothing happened at all, nothing flexed, creaked or anything. I'm gonna call it good for now.

Then I drove to Glacier for the night to test it out on the road and in the field. Held up great going 80mph on the highway and even withstood a significant hail storm last night. One hell of a day 1 with the RTT. :)

Also installed the Yakima Skyrise HD on the TJ's hardtop roof rack and it held up with me inside it. So that's certainly now verified that it is possible if you have the right placement of the roof rack towers. I'm 180lbs roughly and I even tossed my daughter up there with me and she's another 30lbs. Plus the weight of the RTT is 95lbs. Mind you the ladder supports half of the weight but it is doable! I would not go putting 2 adults up there but it hold me and my kiddo, which is more than I was hoping for.

I actually thought the second I put my weight down on it, the roof rack towers were going to break right through my hardtop, but it didn't. Nothing happened at all, nothing flexed, creaked or anything. I'm gonna call it good for now.

View attachment 103079View attachment 103080

Then I drove to Glacier for the night to test it out on the road and in the field. Held up great going 80mph on the highway and even withstood a significant hail storm last night. One hell of a day 1 with the RTT. :)
Where do you like to camp at glacier? Heading there next week for a few days with the family and don't have reservations, so we will need to find first come first served tent camping spaces.

Where do you like to camp at glacier? Heading there next week for a few days with the family and don't have reservations, so we will need to find first come first served tent camping spaces.
I can tell you right now, that the park is full. All the campgrounds within the park are at full capacity, no exaggeration. I only live 2 hours from Glacier so I frequent the park and I an definitely give you a few good ideas of where you'll be able to find campsites if your looking for tent camping. Summertime there is just that crazy. I like to camp on the edge of Glacier meaning literally outside the park on the national forest land or tribal land and enter the park each day.

There is 1 campground just outside of West Glacier "here" that usually has some room for people and its cheaper cause it not in the park but right outside the entrance. It's one of those hidden gems type places. Did you see my Glacier Park thread I just posted too? Let me know if you ever need a guide around, if I have work off I wold love to roll up there and hang for the day.

Reactions: JMT and Mrgreg66
I was temped by a 50% off price tag on a brand new Bestop Supertop NX in Black Diamond the other day, so I scooped it up. I have to say, I am in love with the soft top now! Never had one before but this is definitely the top for me I think. I like to have the top down/off more than I do up if you haven't noticed.

IMG_2781.jpg
IMG_2782.jpg