EJD's '00 TJ Sahara Overland Build & Excursions

I was temped by a 50% off price tag on a brand new Bestop Supertop NX in Black Diamond the other day, so I scooped it up. I have to say, I am in love with the soft top now! Never had one before but this is definitely the top for me I think. I like to have the top down/off more than I do up if you haven't noticed.

View attachment 112118View attachment 112119
Looks really good. Where did you find that killer deal?

Looks really good. Where did you find that killer deal?
Oh thanks! I like the Green+Tan combo but I have to say I love the Green+Black too.

Yeah so I found it on Amazon in the used section. It was originally over a $1,000 for this top but was priced at $500 in "acceptable" condition. Like it was bought then returned and was being sold with some major blemishes on it or something but when I received it there was no such blemishes or condition issues at all. Not even a scratch, as you can see in my couple pictures it is brand new!

It was my birthday this past monday so I was looking at soft tops and I just took a chance on it knowing I could return it if it was messed up too bad or missing parts...but I was shocked to see it's mint. :D

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Oh thanks! I like the Green+Tan combo but I have to say I love the Green+Black too.

Yeah so I found it on Amazon in the used section. It was originally over a $1,000 for this top but was priced at $500 in "acceptable" condition. Like it was bought then returned and was being sold with some major blemishes on it or something but when I received it there was no such blemishes or condition issues at all. Not even a scratch, as you can see in my couple pictures it is brand new!

It was my birthday this past monday so I was looking at soft tops and I just took a chance on it knowing I could return it if it was messed up too bad or missing parts...but I was shocked to see it's mint. :D
I have a tan hardtop and black softop and I like both combos.

Reactions: EJD
just read through the whole thread. Way to go on that engine rebuild!! And you've officially convinced me to take more road trips to Oregon. such good looking scenery.

just read through the whole thread. Way to go on that engine rebuild!! And you've officially convinced me to take more road trips to Oregon. such good looking scenery.
Thanks! Its been a journey thats for sure. My Jeep constantly impresses me, and its not a crazy build by any means.

I'm also a recent transplant to the Oregon Coast now and have officially moved in. I just did Cedar Tree and part of Firebreak 5 today while it was drenched after a good storm yesterday. Made it much more difficult wet and muddy than when I was there last.

IMG_2954.jpg

Awesome, nice to see you've moved out this way! :). We'll have to meetup and do some Jeeping sometime.
Yeah that'd be cool sometime! I stopped at the Tillamook Forest Center today and picked up an OHV trail map of the area, lots of options. Ever been to Sand Lake at all?

Last edited:
Reactions: ElectricWizard
Yeah that'd be cool sometime! I stopped at the Tillamook Forest Center today and picked up an OHV trail map of the area, lots of options. Ever been to Sand Lake at all?
I've been out there when I was younger, but I have yet to get the TJ out there; I'd certainly like to! I live on the east side of Portland so the Cascades are generally my playground, I have a lot yet to explore out in the coast range still!

Reactions: BuildBreakRepeat
Coast range is my territory! Live in Corvallis and work for the forest service so almost the whole Oregon coastal range is my office! If you want any info or wanna meet up let me know!

I've been out there when I was younger, but I have yet to get the TJ out there; I'd certainly like to! I live on the east side of Portland so the Cascades are generally my playground, I have a lot yet to explore out in the coast range still!

We are long overdue to meet up for a camping trip or something. Been too long since I’ve been to Hood.

Oh absolutely! I used to line on Camano Island, WA and I frequented the North Cascades. I have to say i'm really excited for the coast range and all the sand dunes over there to explore. Dunes require a ATV permit, whip/flag, and a fire extinguisher on the vehicle. So I have to get a couple things before I can go out there.

Also looking forward to checking out the OR Cascades too sometime. Looking for a time to check out the Crater Lake area too.

Oh absolutely! I used to line on Camano Island, WA and I frequented the North Cascades. I have to say i'm really excited for the coast range and all the sand dunes over there to explore. Dunes require a ATV permit, whip/flag, and a fire extinguisher on the vehicle. So I have to get a couple things before I can go out there.

Also looking forward to checking out the OR Cascades too sometime. Looking for a time to check out the Crater Lake area too.

I would highly suggest Florence, OR for dunes - and the shop there “Sportsman” next to the dunes sell permits (think it’s $10 or $15) and flags (around $20 for my metal whip).

Coast range is my territory! Live in Corvallis and work for the forest service so almost the whole Oregon coastal range is my office! If you want any info or wanna meet up let me know!
I would love to meet up sometime and Jeep around a little bit with you, maybe we can arrange a small PNW coast meet and greet like the CA guys do. There's certainly enough oregonians on here!

I would highly suggest Florence, OR for dunes - and the shop there “Sportsman” next to the dunes sell permits (think it’s $10 or $15) and flags (around $20 for my metal whip).
Oh i'll definitely be going down there, Sand Lake is just way closer to where my wife and I just bought a home. Nice to have options!

Very nice! I've spent a lot of time out at the dunes camping with friends when I was in high school, definitely want to go have some Jeep fun out that way.

Set something up.....you might get a few Northern California Jeeper's sneaking over the border to join in.
That'd be pretty cool, I thought at one point there was going to be an OR meet up but I was never sure if it took place or not. We'll definitely post up the when and where if anyone else wants to join in (I hope that goes without saying).

That'd be pretty cool, I thought at one point there was going to be an OR meet up but I was never sure if it took place or not. We'll definitely post up the when and where if anyone else wants to join in (I hope that goes without saying).
Yes.....I thought the Oregon Meet and Greet might happen, but it never did. Too bad, I know several people from Northern California was was hoping in would have. But it seemed no one in Oregon wanted to do it.

All that time playing around in the Rockies and I had to come to the beach to break a wheel...
Not sure how, why, or when but I did a number on this Canyon. Surprisingly I did not break a bead either, I only noticed this at home the other day and have no idea where this could have happened. Crazy.

PS: If anyone does have any stock Canyon wheels laying around they'd be willing to get rid of, please let me know asap. Thanks!

IMG_3271.jpg

• Wow