El Paso, Tx

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
Youngest daughter resigned her commission,and is picking up her DD214 tomorrow. We're making a speed run from Washinton to El Paso over the weekend; helping her move.

Anything I shouldn't miss while I'm down there? No TJ, we're taking her Land Rover.

Last edited:
Will the Land Rover actually make it? :risas3:

I wish I could say more. I lived in Austin, Texas for a while and drove through El Paso on the way, but that's about it. I suspect you can find some pretty good BBQ food!

Reactions: StG58
When I was doing my AIT in San Antonio I always enjoyed the Riverwalk.

I did my AIT at Fort Benning Georgia unfortunately... Nothing good to talk about there. Just lots of bone-chilling cold winters.

Will the Land Rover actually make it? :risas3:

I wish I could say more. I lived in Austin, Texas for a while and drove through El Paso on the way, but that's about it. I suspect you can find some pretty good BBQ food!
Crap, I hope it makes it! It's a long walk to anywhere the route we're taking. It's a pretty new Evoc, so we should be good.

The Alamo would be cool, Pee Wee Herman notwithstanding.

Reactions: Chris
AIT and basic at Benning? 11B? My basic was ft lost in the woods :)

Yep, 11B indeed.

Crap, I hope it makes it! It's a long walk to anywhere the route we're taking. It's a pretty new Evoc, so we should be good.

The Alamo would be cool, Pee Wee Herman notwithstanding.

You know what Jeremy Clarkson once said on an episode of Top Gear? If you want to get somewhere remote in style, take a Land Rover. If you want to get somewhere remote and get back, take a Toyota! Hehe

93 thru Vegas? or 491 thru New Mexico?

We talking going to, or coming from? Sounds like you ain't got a lotta time going there....(26-30 hr drive)

It possible she'ed rather drive back alone? She might need a little "me time"?

Tell her to rent a vehicle and drive up the coast (10 to 101) meet her in SF.

Fixed it: Anything I shouldn't miss while I'm down there? No TJ, we're Towing her Land Rover.

Last edited:
If you’re approaching from the north and have to pass through Austin:
keep a close eye on Waze traffic app if you use it. There are only two options to get through: I 35 or the toll road around the city. Right before the exit for the toll road there will be a large sign that will tell you how long it takes to pass through via 35 or the toll. Depending on the time of day and if there are any collisions, the toll may be faster than 35. Austin is notorious for horrible traffic on 35 which is a choke point.

And I can attest that the Alamo and the river walk are absolutely worth a visit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually helped my good buddy move his stuff from Washington to El Paso. His stuff, he slept, while I drove most of the way. Slacker. We switched off in Salt Lake and he drove the twisties before Moab. It sounds like you’ll be going through Moab which is a sight in itself. You’ll hit the 4 corners of NM, AZ, UT, CO and there’s a landmark up there right off the Hwy as you enter NM. You can bypass Albuquerque as you drive from Gallup. If you plan on stopping in ABQ, there’s plenty of good spots to eat checkout the Range Cafe or NY Pizza Department in downtown Abq. Truth or Consequences has the dam/reservoir area that doesn’t take too long to appreciate. As you get closer to Las Cruces NM, there’s a town called Hatch-there’s a few places you can pick up roasted green Chile In the fresh and frozen for travel variety. you’ll hear of a good spot named sparkys. Worth trying once. Las cruces has some nice areas near the university and in its small downtown, but if you wanna see some real southwest Billy the Kid areas, go a bit further south to Mesilla also known as Old Mesilla. There’s a restaurant there called La Posta, decent food if it’s time to eat. From there you can take the back roads (nm hwy 28) through the pecan farms to El Paso and still catch transmountain drive (loop 375) if you’re driving from the Westside of town to the northeast where Bliss is.

Reactions: StG58 and Artemis
Can't think of much for El Paso. I never found much interesting there. San Antonio is a great city, but I may be biased since I spent most my life there. If you do stop there and want some real good tacos instead of the tourist stuff on the River Walk, I'd recommend Taqueria Datapoint in the medical center:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-datapoint-san-antonio

The el pastor tacos there are amazing. Number one thing I miss about San Antonio is the food.

20181013_111139.jpg
20181013_111205.jpg

Daughter took me through Moab. We went off road and got mud on her rig.

I am sooooo going back!!!