Electric brake controller

FallenPB13

Hello,

I just picked up a pop up camper this weekend and am trying to figure out what kind of brake control to get. Any advice?

Thank you

Does your popup camper have a 4-pin or 7-pin connector? Reason is most 4-pin trailer wiring do not support electric brakes.
Also, your tow rig will need the same type of connector.

round-7-pin-powercord-inset.jpg
versus:
trailer_4.jpg

If you do have electric brakes on your trailer, you will need the brake controller and the 7-pin output on the back of your vehicle.
I've been using http://www.etrailer.com for wiring, adapters, and other towing-related suff for years.

If you do have electric brakes on your trailer, you will need the brake controller and the 7-pin output on the back of your vehicle.
I've been using http://www.etrailer.com for wiring, adapters, and other towing-related suff for years.

It has the 7 pin. I was looking there but can't decide what style of controller I should get. The time delay is the cheaper option but not sure if I will regret it

I think you will regret the time delay.I drive a tow truck part time. Of all the trailers we respond to with blown trailer tires.... most have time delay controllers which regularly lock the brakes, dragging the tires, wearing and overheating the tires.

What size/weight trailer did you get? I towed a 3500lb popup (way too heavy for a TJ) with my WJ, and used a time delay. It worked fine, but a proportional one would be a better choice.

What size/weight trailer did you get? I towed a 3500lb popup (way too heavy for a TJ) with my WJ, and used a time delay. It worked fine, but a proportional one would be a better choice.

1825lbs dry, 2500lbs if we fill the water tank for hot water, which we aren't planning on. To be honest it's bigger than I was going to buy but for the price and condition I had to do it. The guy used it an average of 5 nights a year, always garaged and kept spotless. Looks a year old and it is a 2003.

Reactions: derekmac