Electric car tear down

He's a true entrepreneur. He's made a huge business for himself in the diesel pick-up
He's got a TV show where he builds diesel pickups and "gives" them away to a lucky drawing participant. You buy products from their online website and each purchase gains you entries into the drawing. They've built some pretty wild trucks!!

Interesting! I guess since I am not much into diesels, that's why I never knew about it.

Reactions: reddvltj
There HAS to be the infrastructure to support e cars. Same source said that there will be a new “industry “ at charging stations providing something for you to do for 15-20 min while your car quick charges. Said 20 minutes, he claimed, is supposed to be good for 80-100 miles.

Infrastructure is the elephant in the room for sure. They're shutting down plants left and right, and while some interesting solar projects are popping up, and wind turbines are growing like weeds - I think net generation is decreasing.

Utilities can't/won't upgrade their transmission lines fast enough, which makes sense from the top because more problems = justified higher rates. In CA they are turning off the grid because of wind, which is insane. I'm from Wyoming where the wind blows 60+ mph every day of the year and there's never an intentional outage "because wind". On the flip side, they're shutting down plants, even in places where the fossil fuel industry is "safe" (Wyoming's Jim Bridger plant I think is on the list for probable closure) with no real plans for replacing those lost MWs.

The grid can't handle the significant increase in demand that EV's going mainstream would create, unless we start building nuclear plants again and really investing in the transmission lines nationwide. It can't even keep up with present growth.

Sidenote - We have a Chevy Volt, and we love it (aside from terrible aesthetics). The battery tech in it is probably the best in the industry, with the way they actively manage the temperature with a coolant system, even when charging. It blows my mind that they killed it off. I get Tesla prides their car in not having the fluids and moving parts that traditional cars have, but if they added an active battery thermal management system by pumping coolant I think they'd see it as $$ worthwhile in increased battery lifespan.