Electric car tear down

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I love electric cars and I have no doubt whatsoever I'll own one once they become more reasonably priced and have a bigger selection to choose from. However, anyone who says electric cars are simple and require little-to-no-maintenance is out of their mind.

Check this out:

https://jalopnik.com/watch-us-dig-into-a-totally-disassembled-tesla-model-3-1833772985
I'd say they are every bit as sophisticated as an I.C.E. vehicle, just in a different way. Still plenty of stuff to go wrong :LOL:

Anyways, I thought that article was pretty cool and worth sharing.

The number of electric/electronic things that go wrong in ICE powered cars has resulted in most of the problems the wife and I have had over the last 20 years. I'd say it's at least 75%. Two of the worst was the automatic transmission in my VW never shifting correctly because all it wanted to do was electronically "learn" the driver but we shared that car and the transmission in our Chevy Venture Mini Van had to be taken it to replace the TCC solenoid so it would quit stalling every time we stopped. Who would have thought transmission problems would be electronically induced?

Eliminate the ICE and I bet the electronic problems go well over 90%.

I'm not saying we won't have one for the wife someday but in addition to reasonably priced and more choices I'd like to see them make a car I could trust.

Reactions: Chris
A very high up and reliable person at the company I work for said that all major car companies are going electric and are working on a very wide and somewhat unexpected variety of electric vehicles. The main reason he stated was cost, the more complicated and sophisticated internal combustion engines get the more expensive they are to produce. Bottom line, electric motors are much cheaper to build, which equal bigger profit margins.

A very high up and reliable person at the company I work for said that all major car companies are going electric and are working on a very wide and somewhat unexpected variety of electric vehicles. The main reason he stated was cost, the more complicated and sophisticated internal combustion engines get the more expensive they are to produce. Bottom line, electric motors are much cheaper to build, which equal bigger profit margins.

I agree with this. Electric platforms should ultimately be cheaper. ICE engines have the engine itself, but now they have so many electronics to go along with it, that they may as well just have an electric motor.

One thing I will say though is that when it comes to manufacturing the electric cars, the battery still remains the biggest expense. Once the prices on those fall enough, then there will be no real reason to keep producing ICE engines anymore except for the heavy duty industrial applications and such.

There HAS to be the infrastructure to support e cars. Same source said that there will be a new “industry “ at charging stations providing something for you to do for 15-20 min while your car quick charges. Said 20 minutes, he claimed, is supposed to be good for 80-100 miles.

no doubt, the multiplexing and computer controls are insane today on every vehicle regardless of fuel source.
I'm waiting to hear the reliability of the air conditioned and coolant heated 48 volt lithium ion battery in the 4 cylinder JL.

Time to wake the baby!!!
Here's a new EV for your consideration @Chris

https://nikolamotor.com/badger
1581389410324.png

Time to wake the baby!!!
Here's a new EV for your consideration @Chris

https://nikolamotor.com/badger
View attachment 139544

Batteries aren't there yet, haha.

Still takes an hour plus to fully charge one, they still are extremely temperature sensitive, and you still lose battery capacity each year you own it. Then when it comes time to replace the battery, a new battery for a vehicle of this size is around 15-20k.

I'll stick with my ICE. I can fill it up in 5 minutes, and if the engine blows, it's still dramatically cheaper than a replacement battery back :LOL:

In my mind, the cons outweigh the pros with electric, unless you're just driving it around in the city, at which point, then it makes sense.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Batteries aren't there yet, haha.

Still takes an hour plus to fully charge one, they still are extremely temperature sensitive, and you still lose battery capacity each year you own it. Then when it comes time to replace the battery, a new battery for a vehicle of this size is around 15-20k.

I'll stick with my ICE. I can fill it up in 5 minutes, and if the engine blows, it's still dramatically cheaper than a replacement battery back :LOL:

In my mind, the cons outweigh the pros with electric, unless you're just driving it around in the city, at which point, then it makes sense.

Here's a quote from the article that led me to their website
Nikola Badger the world’s FIRST Hydrogen and Battery powered pickup truck coming September 2020.

Here's a quote from the article that led me to their website
Nikola Badger the world’s FIRST Hydrogen and Battery powered pickup truck coming September 2020.

Damn, I guess you'll need one hell of a technician to work on / troubleshoot this thing :ROFLMAO:

Maybe Dave Sparks (Heavy D from Diesel Brothers) will know who to take it to... lol Considering he's promoting it and can't wait to get his hands on one...🤣🤣🤣

I don't know who that is (or what that is), but now I guess I need to go find out :LOL:

• Haha
I don't know who that is (or what that is), but now I guess I need to go find out :LOL:
He's got a TV show where he builds diesel pickups and "gives" them away to a lucky drawing participant. You buy products from their online website and each purchase gains you entries into the drawing. They've built some pretty wild trucks!!

Last edited: