Electric planes are here

billiebob

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...9OXGIk4RdV_-fDcDt0RhgkI_5YawoK3hih7-Lc4NSp2WM
Harbour Air flies commuters between Vancouver and Victoria, a 20 minute flight. Pretty much a perfect distance to test the electric float plane concept. And these are some of the most durable bush planes in the world.

harbour-air-electric-plane.jpg

That airframe, the Beaver, is a 62 year old design.
It started life with a radial engine in 1957.

0e78c9b31cbcf5df3aa2721f58e00ab4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ4Jim
anyone else remember when radio control planes had gas engines ?

I do indeed! I like flying my electric planes so much better than gas. I actually sold all my gas planes a while back, as the electric ones are just easier to fly and much more pleasant IMHO.

I do indeed! I like flying my electric planes so much better than gas. I actually sold all my gas planes a while back, as the electric ones are just easier to fly and much more pleasant IMHO.
oh so sad. I love things like model planes and snowmobiles because of the cantankerous gaz engines. I'd never love an e plane or e sled. But for a daily driver, an e Tesla Bronco/Wrangler/Sumari I'd love. I'll always love gaz for recreation.

And I'll love an e-plane for commuting from Vancouver to Seattle.

The H1 was awesome. But..... but...... but
this was the bike that told me riding was suicide.... and I have not ridden since.
50-1974-Kawasaki-H1-500.jpg

But SO much more than anything for sale today !!

Ride an H1..... you'll never want to ride another R1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
oh so sad. I love things like model planes and snowmobiles because of the cantankerous gaz engines. I'd never love an e plane or e sled. But for a daily driver, an e Tesla Bronco/Wrangler/Sumari I'd love. I'll always love gaz for recreation.

And I'll love an e-plane for commuting from Vancouver to Seattle.

The H1 was awesome. But..... but...... but
this was the bike that told me riding was suicide.... and I have not ridden since.
View attachment 130164

But SO much more than anything for sale today !!

Ride an H1..... you'll never want to ride another R1.

That thing looks like it would only be comfortable if you were below the age of 30, haha ;)

Remember the Estes Rockets ?

Yes. I think I still have one hanging in a tree by the parachute.

My son and I got to launch a few when he was younger. I think they were more impressive to me as an adult, than when I was a kid. We even mounted a rocket engine in a model car and shot it down the driveway.

Yup right in my back yard! Pretty cool innovation but I am sure they are a llllllong way from the first passenger flight. These shorter inter-island flights are popular on the coast here

I remember putting this one on "layaway" (remember that?) when I was a kid. Sadly, it met with an untimely demise. A windy beach was no place to be flying...
1576873746367.png