Electric Power Steering

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone looked into an electric power steering conversion, either electric power steering pump or an electric assist unit that goes inline with the steering shaft? I am doing some research into this and I have some ideas, but not sure if anyone else has done the research on this as well.

Reactions: IJK and Ticks
Has anyone looked into an electric power steering conversion, either electric power steering pump or an electric assist unit that goes inline with the steering shaft? I am doing some research into this and I have some ideas, but not sure if anyone else has done the research on this as well.

Interesting question, so what have you found out about electric power steering conversions.

I've had this on two sportyish cars, BMW/Mini, and the road feel suffers; maybe not an issue in a Jeep

With most cars and trucks today having electric power steering there may be an opportunity to solve a bunch of solid axle steering problems with a electric rack or something similar.

I don't miss the non-power steering in my 57 Chevy I drove as kid one teeny-tiny bit. 🤣
It kinda depends on the vehicle. Our '63 GMC 1 ton with ArmStrong steering could be a bearcat to turn sitting still. Our '71 MBZ wasn't really much of a problem, and the steering sure felt great on the road - yet a virtually identical '74 MBZ I owned had power steering. Wife has a '14 Fiat Pop - there's zero reason for it to even have power steering, yet it does.

Power steering is a welcome addition to larger vehicles, and it certainly makes sense off road. Yet I know how to deal with the manual setup. Power brakes don't particularly make much sense either - I never had problems stopping that old Jimmy. First time I drove a vehicle with power brakes, I almost put myself through the windshield several times until I got used to it.

With most cars and trucks today having electric power steering there may be an opportunity to solve a bunch of solid axle steering problems with a electric rack or something similar.

I believe the primary reason for major switch to electric PS is mfg. profit and CAFE (gas mileage) improvement

Reactions: TJ Jim

I don't think any vehicle exists that has electric power steering and a solid front axle. Everything is IFS these days with rack and pinion. The only things I can think of that still even have solid front axles are F-250 or bigger sized trucks, Wrangler/Gladiator, and the Mercedes G-Wagon.

Reactions: IJK and Chris
I can imagine how an electric ps pump could solve some packaging problems and I wouldn't think should impact the steering feel too much.

Reactions: IJK
The real improvement will be drive-by-wire. Fix all the problems full hydro fixes yet still be streetable!

I did some research into this.

Full electric steering is going to be exceptionally difficult. For starters, most EPAS systems for consumer vehicles are designed for rack and pinion. Secondly, the control systems are a nightmare to figure out.

More realistically, you could probably figure out a way to add electro-hydraulic power steering (EHPS). Basically, you replace the engine-driven pump with an electric one, and add in a basic control system so it doesn't run at 100% power all the time.

The Toyota MR2 was for a very long time a popular source for an EHPS pump. However, those have all but dried up. However, the JL-series Wrangler uses one, and the aftermarket seems to prefer to replace it with an engine-driven pump to support ran assist steering. So you can actually get a number of low-mileage JL pumps for not too much cash.

That said, I have not found any reliable information on how the JL EHPS is controlled. I'm pretty sure it communicates via CAN bus, but I would have no idea what signals correspond to what pump states. If one knew these signals, they could easily be recreated via an arduino-type PLC.

Reactions: Fouledplugs and IJK
I don't think any vehicle exists that has electric power steering and a solid front axle. Everything is IFS these days with rack and pinion. The only things I can think of that still even have solid front axles are F-250 or bigger sized trucks, Wrangler/Gladiator, and the Mercedes G-Wagon.

So be the first guy with EPS on a TJ. Think outside the box.

Thought about epas the other day in the TJ, installed in line with the steering column and if any noticeable power/mpg gains, with a deleted hydro pump. I'd think a little considering least amount of amperage occur at normal driving compared to low speed turning, not too much alternator drag with a good batt.

The JL and JT has electric hydro steering. EPHAS

Jeep engineers went through a lot of feedback about folks increasing tire size on previous gen Wranglers and tire width resulting in less feedback and added difficulty in steering from the steering wheel.

What’s interesting is we all complain about a lack of power in the 4.0L, yet, in theory, an electric driven motor would no longer rob power from the engine (conventional belt driven pump) when steering and only need power when steering the wheel happens. And electic power is instant and has the added ability to provide 100% of it instantly in comparison to a conventional belt driven hydraulic steering pump.

Has anyone had any seat time in the JL or JT? The steerings feels amazing and smooth.

Separate from that, Aren't there some ultra4 guys and Baja guys running full electric steering?

Last edited: