Electric repair kit critique

Midnight LJR

In search of Rubicon flares.
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I try to keep my electrical as stock as possible for reliability. But I do like to keep a basic electrical repair kit in my vehicle when off road.
Just looking for critique as to anything I may be forgetting. This kit is separate from my tool kit which will have screw drivers needle nose etc.

318029E2-1E89-4F05-AC14-665E5BAF9369.jpeg
DEFC7A2D-2D4E-4E59-A4A3-DE22358DC9FC.jpeg
AB24F837-E17E-47E5-BB6D-7926D332384A.jpeg

I'd throw in some spade connectors.

Test light is likely redundant and unnecessary with the multimeter.

If you have needle nose pliers you might not need the fuse tool.

I think I have similar multi use pliers in my kit but I like diagonal cutters for other uses too if you don't have them elsewhere in your tool kit. I like Klein brand available at home depot for quality electrical tools.

Perfect timing for this post. I'm putting together my own "auto electric" kit.

Coincidentally, I'm also using a Blue Ridge Overland Gear velcro pouch, but the XL 12x6x2 rather than the L 12x4x2.

I am really impressed by the quality of there products. They are worth the cost to me.

. . . I'm also using a Blue Ridge Overland Gear velcro pouch, but the XL 12x6x2 rather than the L 12x4x2.
I am really impressed by the quality of there products. They are worth the cost to me.

I just received my latest shipment of B.R.O.G. bags - four 12x12x2.5 clear packing cubes and two XL 12x6x2 velcro pouches to add the the stuff the the last two photos below. Very well made items and although not inexpensive they will outlast me and perhaps the next generation as well, which makes them a good buy for the long term:

21CPC12x12_-_Clear_Packing_Cube_1_W_1800x1800.jpg

GPTCXL_UTILITY_POUCH_XL_-_12_X_6_X_2_4_W_1800x1800.jpg

gear-ready-for-packing-05-05-19-jpg-jpg.jpg

rear-of-jeep-jpg-jpg.jpg

I just received my latest shipment of B.R.O.G. bags - four 12x12x2.5 clear packing cubes and two XL 12x6x2 velcro pouches to add the the stuff the the last two photos below. Very well made items and although not inexpensive they will outlast me and perhaps the next generation as well, which makes them a good buy for the long term:

View attachment 126222

View attachment 126223

View attachment 126224
View attachment 126225

Awesome setup! I am trying to get that organized myself.

I carry some heat shrink tubing, some solder, and a mini torch. I have several different sizes of shrink tubing, including some large enough to lock a splice on my winch rope If it breaks.

X2 on the heat shrink tubing, and solder.

I also carry couple jumper wires with Alligator clips on both ends.
I don’t know that I’ve ever used these on the jeep but they sure come in handy if someone in the group has a trailer.

In a pinch these could also be used as repair wiring.

make a few jumper wires with aligator clips on 'em that are long enough to go from the battery to anywhere else on the vehicle. One red, one black, one some other color. WIre a fuse holder into one of them...I like using breakers rather than fuses, simply because I won't go through all my spares on the trail.

These can be useful in many different ways. use them to connect your meter to so you can use it remotely...example, clip onto starter signal wire and sit in drivers seat watching meter when cranking. Also good for testing...it's nice being able to have 12V and a ground anywhere you want it.

Last edited:
I carry some heat shrink tubing, some solder, and a mini torch. I have several different sizes of shrink tubing, including some large enough to lock a splice on my winch rope If it breaks.
At no point is heat shrink ever needed to lock a splice on a typical 12 strand braid. Friction does more than a great job.

I try to keep my electrical as stock as possible for reliability. But I do like to keep a basic electrical repair kit in my vehicle when off road.
Just looking for critique as to anything I may be forgetting. This kit is separate from my tool kit which will have screw drivers needle nose etc.

View attachment 126096View attachment 126097View attachment 126100
Spend a few more bucks and get a good crimper and throw those shit connectors in the trash. Either get some of the ones posted with the heat shrink on them (provided they are adhesive lined) or go to the quality connector/terminal places online and order a selection there. This is an example of a quality terminal line. You want brazed or solid barrel with translucent insulation or no insulation and then apply adhesive lined heat shrink over that in dual wall.
The clear insulation lets you see that the insulation is butted to the barrel and that the wire isn't stripped too far.
https://www.delcity.net/store/Clear-Nylon!Insulated-Butt-Connectors/p_805411.h_805415

Get some crimpers like these. They cut wire, and do both insulated and non insulated terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBDI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: 707kevin

View attachment 126096View attachment 126097View attachment 126100

I tend to think that less is more. Assuming that this is emergency use for when something fails and you only need enough of a fix to get home:

1) I'd get rid of the multimeter. For 99% of things repairable on the trail the test light is plenty (and if you're familiar enough with your wiring you can probably leave that at home too).

2) A knife can strip wires just fine for a quick fix and is multifunctional vs the single function of the stripper.

3) All of the connectors can be left at home. You can twist wires together and tape them. That'll get you by until you can do a proper fix at home.

3) All of the connectors can be left at home. You can twist wires together and tape them. That'll get you by until you can do a proper fix at home.
Sounds good on the surface but there are a few places where the use of a terminal is mandatory. Starter terminals are notorious for being too close to something they can short out against and a simple ring terminal will save the day. Relays are similar. Depending on how many wires need to be hooked up, they are difficult to attach a wire to and make them work. A good assortment takes up very little space and is good to have.

Sounds good on the surface but there are a few places where the use of a terminal is mandatory. Starter terminals are notorious for being too close to something they can short out against and a simple ring terminal will save the day. Relays are similar. Depending on how many wires need to be hooked up, they are difficult to attach a wire to and make them work. A good assortment takes up very little space and is good to have.

As long as you have the extra length of wire (which there is on the stock harness), a "hook" could be formed around the starter stud and clamped down with the nut? I could see the use of a push on connector onto a relay though. However, how much electrical damage would have to happen that the existing relay connectors/wiring would have to be replaced? I can't imagine a situation where you wouldn't have bigger problems or you'd have the time to fix it without access to a parts store that'd carry what you need. Thoughts?

Reactions: Midnight LJR
Blaine does bring up a point about spare relays too. Depending on your model you may be able to move around relays to get running again without carrying a spare. I'd probably leave the spares at home since I could use the fog light relay as the spare to get the fuel pump running and stop by the nearest parts store later for example, but if you don't have any non-crucial systems that you can take from it might be nice to bring a spare.

Similarly with fuses. There's multiple non-crucial systems that can be borrowed from. I carry 4 spare fuses in a couple of sizes. 2 are the common ATC size, 2 are the less common MIDI size (which I use on my Jeep and wouldn't expect to find in part stores).

As long as you have the extra length of wire (which there is on the stock harness), a "hook" could be formed around the starter stud and clamped down with the nut? I could see the use of a push on connector onto a relay though. However, how much electrical damage would have to happen that the existing relay connectors/wiring would have to be replaced? I can't imagine a situation where you wouldn't have bigger problems or you'd have the time to fix it without access to a parts store that'd carry what you need. Thoughts?
The likelihood of doing a field repair on electrical is very small. I've been carrying around the same little container of electrical terminals for 15 years and doubt that I've used more than one or two. But, if you get into a situation where you need them, something catastrophic has happened and you're going to need all the help you can get.

Blaine does bring up a point about spare relays too. Depending on your model you may be able to move around relays to get running again without carrying a spare. I'd probably leave the spares at home since I could use the fog light relay as the spare to get the fuel pump running and stop by the nearest parts store later for example, but if you don't have any non-crucial systems that you can take from it might be nice to bring a spare.

Similarly with fuses. There's multiple non-crucial systems that can be borrowed from. I carry 4 spare fuses in a couple of sizes. 2 are the common ATC size, 2 are the less common MIDI size (which I use on my Jeep and wouldn't expect to find in part stores).

I carry about 50 spare fuses of both common sizes and of all my electrical, they get used the most.

Reactions: chad and toximus
I tend to think that less is more. Assuming that this is emergency use for when something fails and you only need enough of a fix to get home:

1) I'd get rid of the multimeter. For 99% of things repairable on the trail the test light is plenty (and if you're familiar enough with your wiring you can probably leave that at home too).

2) A knife can strip wires just fine for a quick fix and is multifunctional vs the single function of the stripper.

Thanks for the feedback. I do keep going back and fourth on the multimeter. I am not amazing at using them and am better with a test light myself. You might be right about leaving it behind.

Anything that you carry with you but don't know how to use is sort of a waste of space, unless you count on running into an electrician out on the trail which actually maybe isn't that unlikely.

I carry some lengths of wire, fuses, heat-shrink crimps, a stripper, crimper and lighter, because that's what I sort of know how to use.

Reactions: Midnight LJR