Electrical Peeps-

Let's assume it will be torn out and redone from the blue post over to the generator. What should it do to look better than it does now?
What does it look like on the other side of the fascia on the back side of the post? Is running through there an option?

Reactions: InOmaha
And how would you pull wire through the 6+ 90 degree bends you would have?
Depends on the wiring inside I guess. That's why I mentioned long versus short radius elbows. If straight run is important, maybe just cut through to the other side before the post and run it on the ceiling. That cuts out all the going around the posts problem. Basically run it on the other side and cross over by drilling through near the boxes. One straight run and one 90 bend to connect to the conduit by the boxes with the couplings under the 2 roofs.

The nice thing about the pipe I ran is they carry water, steam, and drainage.. But you still had to take into account friction losses and fittings added to that. Too much goofy stuff and you waste power pumping or the drain backs up.

Last edited:
Objectively, i think your standards are too high because you're used to working with yourself. I can tell which phone and cables you ran because they look like your brake lines!

I think in that industry, electricians are equivalent to Inspectors, they don't give a shit about aesthetics. It's not that this guy tried to make it look bad he just didn't probably appreciate that he was doing work for an artist.
I would not call these guys electricians and people that do this kind of thing for a living do give a shit about aesthetics.

Reactions: Zorba
Don’t pay them, make them redo it. If they are going to be doing that kind of work they need to learn how to use a bender. They did not need to notch anything or use that many fittings, they just don’t know how to run conduit.

Reactions: WSS
Don’t pay them, make them redo it. If they are going to be doing that kind of work they need to learn how to use a bender. They did not need to notch anything or use that many fittings, they just don’t know how to run conduit.
When I suggested that I would be glad to pay the remaining balance of 1300ish after the conduit was changed to be a bit more pleasant, that set off a flurry of behaviors that I found to be unpalatable at best.

They started with him stomping off to his work vehicle, leaving my driveway at a fairly rapid pace, shouting obscenities at me while driving down the street in front of the house and amongst other things, threatening me with dragging code enforcement onto the property, threatening to remotely shut down the generator, and the threat of a small claims suit for the balance.

Given that Kat was due for surgery in a few days for another joint replacement, we decided that she did not need the stress such antics created and paid the balance.

What an absolute shit show, if I was close by I’d fix it for you.
The worst part is we've waited almost a year for the city to get a permit done, then get an inspector out, then sign it off. I've been very patient. The second worst part is we got several quotes, this fucktard shows up with a book of installations that were clean, precise, well done, not art but good craftsmanship. He was a bit higher than the others but the work in the pictures was good enough that I could live with it and I based my choice on that, not price.

If you were close by I'd be more than glad to pay you to fix it. It was never about the price, it was about the quality.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Sucking works good. Sucked a pull line a bunch of feet between my house and garage.
Last summer, I killed my first York blowing string through a couple hundred feet of pipe. It worked until it didn't. The next day, I brought my shop vac in and sucked the string. That worked significantly better and over much longer stretches.

Reactions: InOmaha
Last summer, I killed my first York blowing string through a couple hundred feet of pipe. It worked until it didn't. The next day, I brought my shop vac in and sucked the string. That worked significantly better.

Yes it does.

Sucking works good. Sucked a pull line a bunch of feet between my house and garage.
We usually reserve the vacuum or air compressor for long underground pulls where pushing a fish tape would be time consuming at best. A run as short as this if ran properly would be an easy pull with a fish tape.

Reactions: toximus
We usually reserve the vacuum or air compressor for long underground pulls where pushing a fish tape would be time consuming at best. A run as short as this if ran properly would be an easy pull with a fish tape.
Sorry, I got off topic a bit...

I'm curious to see the solution here.

Sorry to see that you got such a shit job from a supposed "craftsman". I'd do it over again myself because I know I couldn't live with it looking like that. But that's just me.

And I've worked with many electricians. Some do great work with conduit. I guess it's like everything else, either want to do good work, and you've got an eye for it, or you don't.

Now, even though you've paid them, that doesn't mean there isn't something you can do about it. I'd definitely go online and give them an accurate Yelp review. Maybe with a few pictures too. That's not being mean, just being honest. And maybe saving a few others from that guys shoddy work. Especially after his temper tantrum when he got called out for his workmanship!

Sorry to see that you got such a shit job from a supposed "craftsman". I'd do it over again myself because I know I couldn't live with it looking like that. But that's just me.

And I've worked with many electricians. Some do great work with conduit. I guess it's like everything else, either want to do good work, and you've got an eye for it, or you don't.

Now, even though you've paid them, that doesn't mean there isn't something you can do about it. I'd definitely go online and give them an accurate Yelp review. Maybe with a few pictures too. That's not being mean, just being honest. And maybe saving a few others from that guys shoddy work. Especially after his temper tantrum when he got called out for his workmanship!
Sometimes an easy way to have a format that is easy to refer folks to is post up a discussion thread asking for solutions. ;)

Reactions: DrDmoney
man, i had completely forgotten about shootin them paper cones down the line. we did a lot of underground and that was the only way to get a line through. and i always left a spare pull in the tube for the next guy.

i don't miss that 5gl bucket of "whale jiz" we pulled big cables and i was elbow deep in that shit at least 2x a wk.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
No one got the joke?

image.7.jpg