ElectricWizards 2000 TJ Sport Build

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
Back in 2015 I was on the hunt for a vehicle that would be capable of exploring the NW and camping/over-landing in all seasons. I've always had a love for Jeeps, however, the TJ has to be one of my favorites. It is the perfect blend of modern and old. Another bonus being the great availability of aftermarket parts and add-ons!

After much searching I came across and fell in love with a forest green 2000 TJ Sport. The Jeep was mostly stock and totally rust free :). The TJ 'sports' the 4.0 and NV3550 5spd and came with a hardtop. It had some of the soft top hardware installed, but no top included.

2illw8y.jpg

As great as the TJ was it did have a few small issues, which did help me leverage the price ;). It had a rear pinion seal leak, as well as the usual valve cover and rear main/oil pan leaks. I sorted out those problems quickly and easily, and it was then time to enjoy the Jeep! :D

hwec11.jpg

2uh23vb.jpg

2z53yax.jpg

1fd2tw.jpg

2u6zolj.jpg

4pzdoj.jpg

All of the mods were installed by me, on my own, in a driveway, with tons of time spent on these forums researching different options and peoples opinions :). So far I have been very pleased with the build. The TJ has done everything I've asked it do, and more! As of now the build is as follows:

• 31x10.5 R15 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires.
  • 3" TeraFlex Flex Arm Lift Kit w/ Bilstein 5100 Shocks
  • Advanced Adapters SYE & Tom Woods Rear Driveshaft
  • RT OffRoad HD Steering Kit
  • Warn M8000 Winch w/ In-cab Controls (Post #9)
  • ARB Dual Air Compressor (Post #21)
  • KC Gravity LED Headlights
  • Rugged Ridge LED Taillights
  • Garvin Wilderness ATS Front & Rear Bumpers
  • Garvin Wilderness Rock Rails
  • Rubicon Rocker Guards
  • Crown Performance Stainless Brake Lines
  • Rugged Ridge Dual Battery tray w/ Optima Blue Tops & Hellroaring Isolator (Post #9)
  • Sony Headunit w/ Polk Speakers (Post #67)
  • Cobra 75WXST CB Radio w/ 3' FireStik FireFly
  • Tuffy Hood Lock
  • Interior LED Lighting Upgrades
  • Bedlined Tub
  • Custom Yakima Roof Rack
I quickly started with the roof rack, rock rails, and tires; that was enough to get me out and exploring! Eventually I installed a winch as I soon discovered driving snow covered FS roads was one of my favorite activities :D. The lift, SYE, and steering upgrades were done to allow future upgrades (tires), and to gain some more off-road ability. Everything else was just salt and peppered in as I saw fit, and could afford, of course ;).

As happy as I am with it currently, this is a Jeep, it's never done ;)! These are some of the important things I'd still like to do:

• 33x12.5" DuraTrac tires. I've been happy with the 31x10.5" tires, but the wider tires should help more in the deep snow.
  • Regear & Lockers. I've currently got open D30/D35 with 3.07 (I know, I know..), I plan to go with Eaton E-Lockers and 4.10 or 4.56, depending on the tires. I'd love to build up a D44 but haven't found any deals close by. Not opposed to doing a Super 35.
  • Fog Lights/Bumper Mount Lights. I love the KC Gravity LED headlights, they're bright and have a great pattern! However there is a dark spot a few feet in front of the Jeep, it'd be nice to get some extra light down there particularly for FS roads at night.
  • Ash-tray delete/Dual switch panel. I'll need spots for my locker switches when the time comes.
  • Interior restoration. My interior is pretty sun faded and sports the typical door panel cracks, I'd like to fix those issues and get everything looking nice and new again.
  • Custom overhead console. Eventually I'd like to install a ham radio in the Jeep, and it wouldn't hurt to have a place for another interior LED light up front.
  • Compass & Temp Rear-view Mirror Upgrade. Certainly not a necessary feature but I would really like having the ability to know the temperature.

Of course I will post updates as the TJ continues to be worked on, everything from maintenance to mods!

Thanks everybody! I couldn't have done any of this without the knowledge and inspiration I've gained over the years from reading these forums. If anybody has any questions, suggestions, or just wants to discuss feel free to post! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
Damn, that's a pretty TJ. Forest Green is definitely one of the best colors ever released for TJs. Those are some beautiful shots that you captured as well!
Thanks! Photography is one of my passions, it and Jeeps go well haha. I definitely agree about the forest green, I thought I wanted black but totally fell in love when I saw this one.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Love that color, and I particularly love that last photo! If I were you, I'd submit that photo for the ride of the month contest next month. That is an awesome photo.

Where was that photo taken by the way? It looks like Oregon. I ask because I'm down here in Salem, Oregon.

OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
Love that color, and I particularly love that last photo! If I were you, I'd submit that photo for the ride of the month contest next month. That is an awesome photo.

Where was that photo taken by the way? It looks like Oregon. I ask because I'm down here in Salem, Oregon.
Thanks, Chris! I will keep the contest in mind.

Yup, all those pics are in Oregon. Last two are on Bennett Pass in the Mt Hood NF.

OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
Very cool, I'll have to venture up there sometime in that case. That's a very awesome photo.
Definitely recommend it, one of my favorite areas around Mt Hood. It's got a bit of everything: dangerous exposure, views, meadows, lakes, you name it!

OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
I figured I would make a post detailing some of the mods I've done thus far, and how my implementations might differ from others. Here are the first few:

Dual Battery Setup

rkpx8j.jpg

One of the first major mods I did was my dual battery setup. As my main use for my Jeep is for trips to remote areas I wanted to have a second battery purely for backup. The system would be setup to have all normal load on the primary battery, whereas the second is only switched in when needed.

The battery tray I chose is the Rugged Ridge 11214.52 Dual Battery Tray.
I was able to get a good deal on two Optima D34M Blue Tops. These ones worked well for me as they are a deep cycle battery that is also capable of being used for cranking.

Installing the battery tray was quite easy and straight forward: remove the old one, bolt on the new one. The only hiccup with the install was having to slightly relocate the power distribution center; the instructions stated this would be necessary for some models. Guess who had one of those models!

2yxjkpc.jpg

I had to take a small notch out of the ribbing on the outside edge of the top half of the air box so the distribution center could sit above it. Surprisingly this doesn't make changing the air filter any more difficult, awesome! That gave me plenty of room to modify the bracket and get the distribution center forward more.
I probably ended up moving it farther forward than necessary, but more space is better, right?

2rgdnbm.jpg

The isolator I chose was the Hellroaring BIC 95300B. I picked this unit because it did exactly what I needed out of the box. The isolator will keep the backup battery isolated unless the primary battery drops too low, or you manually switch it in (more on that later..). The isolator will also maintain the backup battery, keeping it fully charged automatically.

Lastly, I ended up making my own battery cables since I own the proper hydraulic crimping tool. There is plenty of info regarding that online, but if anybody wants details I'd be happy to share.

Winch Isolator

24gt72e.jpg

When I installed my winch I wasn't in love with the idea of having a full-time connection from my battery to my bumper. My thoughts were in the event of a crash, or some "locals" wanting to steal my winch, I didn't want my Jeep to end up creating a spark show or burn down.

I ended up installing a 500A Solenoid in series with the winch power line from the battery. This solenoid is then controlled by my in-cab controls (more on that..) to enable the winch. Mounting the solenoid was simple, since I went with the Hellroaring isolator I had this solenoid bracket left over from my dual battery tray.

In Cab Controls

ohoch1.jpg

My in cab controls are a customized 12VoltGuy panel. I wired the "WINCH" switch to power my winch isolator solenoid, and the buttons to the right are (top, bottom): out and in controls for the winch.
The switch in the middle will manually combine both the batteries, I'll usually use this while I'm winching.

Last edited:

psrivats

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2018
OR, USA
Excellent build and outstanding photos @ElectricWizard !

I've been on Bennett pass (in a Subaru though, doesn't count hahaha) but never been able to capture the beauty the you see in my photos. Your photos are truly spectacular. I'll have to take my TJ up there sometime before it starts raining!

OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
Geeze. And I thought my seat risers were a job.

Impressive Mr. Edison.
Thank you! Complicated electrical projects are my specialty ;)

Excellent build and outstanding photos @ElectricWizard !

I've been on Bennett pass (in a Subaru though, doesn't count hahaha) but never been able to capture the beauty the you see in my photos. Your photos are truly spectacular. I'll have to take my TJ up there sometime before it starts raining!
Thank you too! I'll be sure to share plenty more pics as time goes on, since everyone loves them ;)
At least you were in a Subaru; last time I went up there someone was trying to take a Corolla up there!

OP
OP
ElectricWizard

ElectricWizard

Jeep Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Sep 22, 2018
Portland, OR
A few notes about your great build.

500A Solenoid
I really like the winch isolator, now another thing to do.

Hellroaring BIC
The Hell Roaring isolators are great. Built in Montana. I put one on my fj55.

This will be fun to watch
Thanks! Definitely one of the other reasons I chose it too.
It looks like very beautiful country up that way, I hope to make it out there eventually.

Chris, if I click on the above links to amazon do they automatically set the purchase to hel this forum?
No I just set those links up for anybody who was interested. Maybe he'll be able to get you a link to do that?