ElectricWizards 2000 TJ Sport Build

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Dual Switch Panel Mod, Part 1

In preparation for my upcoming re-gear and e-locker install I decided to work on a place to mount the locker switches. For the early model TJs, such as mine, with the ash-tray, there is a nice mod you can do to add a second factory switch panel where the ash tray went. I decided this is the route I would go.

I started by purchasing two used agate colored switch panels. Only one is needed for this project, however I wanted to store my original panel unmodified in the event I decide to switch back to stock.

There are a few great write-ups for this mod on the internet. I've been following the DailyDrivenTJ post as well as the Stu-Offroad post.

I first started by cutting out the ash-tray mount from the center dash bezel. I first used a hacksaw then switched over to my Dremel with a cut-off wheel. Once I had it roughly cut I began to carefully grind and file away the remaining plastic until the opening was similar to the factory opening and a switch panel would fit well.

Next I decided which switch panel was going to get modified and began to modify both sides as necessary. The left side required carefully notching in order to fit well with the other switch panel, it also needed to be thinned down slightly near the top-left side. The panels edges are slightly tapered and they both won't fit the opening in the dash bezel otherwise.

Then the right side was cut to fit against a protrusion in the dash, which also later be used as the right side mounting point for the combined switch panel.

Next I fine tuned all the cuts and got the panels and bezel fitting up nicely on the bench. I had to remove the cigarette lighter port from the modified panel due to depth limitations in the dash.

I then went and mocked up the modified switch panel and dash bezel in the TJ:

Looking good so far!

That was all I had time for today. Certainly took a lot more effort and time than it looks! Tomorrow I plan to get the switch panels fixed together and their right-side mount finished up.

Last edited:
Dual Switch Panel Mod, Part 2

Well, as life tends to go, tomorrow turns into next week. But today I did find time to nearly knock out the rest of the switch panel project!

Where I left off last time I was ready to get the switch panels mounted together. The plan is to bolt the two together as is usually done in most guides, but also apply some epoxy and additional fiberglass/epoxy reinforcement.

I'm using 8-32 x 1/2" panhead cap screws and nylon locknuts, JB Weld Plastic Bonder epoxy, and some generic fiberglass tape, similar to this.

I started by drilling a couple holes in the right side panel for the bolts.

I then test fit the panels in the TJ again so I could clamp them together and mark the exact spot I needed to drill in the left panel.

After I drilled the holes in the other panel I bolted them together and did another test fit in the TJ to confirm everything lined up. Still looked good, so we move on ;)

I then scuffed up all the areas around where the two panels meet up, this will be to help the epoxy adhere to the plastic.

Both panels were cleaned with alcohol. After that was dry I quickly mixed and slathered both mating surfaces with a thin layer of epoxy and bolted them together.

This next step is where I've deviated from other guides I've read.

At this point the fit and feel of the panels was nice, and would certainly work fine! However, there was still small a bit of flex between the two panels. My plan was to use fiberglass tape and epoxy to further bond the two panels together; this is a method I used to use for fixing cracked rooftop cargo boxes when I worked at a rack shop.

Previously when I cut up the right-side panel a triangular piece of support was left in place. I wrapped it with fiberglass tape all around.

I then mixed up more epoxy and layered it on generously, covering as much of the tape as possible. The end result isn't pretty, but it is quite effective!

After letting it cure for about an hour the panels were noticeably stiffer where they're joined. Success! :)

The last part for the panels is to create a new right-side mount. Previously when I cut off the original mount on the right-side panel I was careful to cut it off neatly so I could reuse it for this step.

While the epoxy from the previous step was curing I cleaned up and drilled some holes in the right-side mount. I later discovered one of my holes was too far down to be useful, and I needed to drill another. Oops ;)

I again went out to the TJ to test fit the now combined panels, this time bringing the right-side mount with so I could align it and mark where I need to drill into the switch panel.

I drilled the holes in the panel, scuffed up both mating surfaces and cleaned them, and proceeded to epoxy and bolt the right-side mount to the switch panel.

Last step will be drilling some holes and installing some nuts into the dash for the right-side mount and this project will, for the most part, be finished! :)

Nice thinking! That big empty space there from the factory is just begging for more switch panels.
I know! Especially on the early models that stock only had 3 slots. In my case there was an ash tray where the second panel is now, so not even an easy surface for mounting additional switches.

Last edited:
I know! Especially on the early models that stock only had 3 slots. In my case there was an ash tray where the second panel is now, so not even an easy surface for mounting additional switches.

Yes, the later models had 4-slots, but even then I feel like 6 would have been better. It annoys the crap out of me that the factory Rubicon lockers are wired into one switch with a stupid functionality. They really need to be wired to two separate switches.

Reactions: psrivats
Yes, the later models had 4-slots, but even then I feel like 6 would have been better. It annoys the crap out of me that the factory Rubicon lockers are wired into one switch with a stupid functionality. They really need to be wired to two separate switches.
Jeep should've just gone with switch blanks the whole way across stock!

I agree, that locker switch sure sounds horrendous. Glad my lockers will just be separate switches from the get ;). I've got some more of those eBay factory style switches marked F/L and R/L I'm gonna use.

Jeep should've just gone with switch blanks the whole way across stock!

I agree, that locker switch sure sounds horrendous. Glad my lockers will just be separate switches from the get ;). I've got some more of those eBay factory style switches marked F/L and R/L I'm gonna use.

Be glad! The factory locker electrical system is complete bullshit anyways. I'd just bypass the entire thing and run lockers completely independently of the stupid little circuit they have setup for it from the factory. It's confusing and annoying. I wonder if it's any better on the JK Rubicons.

Reactions: ElectricWizard
Be glad! The factory locker electrical system is complete bullshit anyways. I'd just bypass the entire thing and run lockers completely independently of the stupid little circuit they have setup for it from the factory. It's confusing and annoying. I wonder if it's any better on the JK Rubicons.
I'm not sure why Jeep felt the need to make the system so complex and confusing. The switch should've been two, when you need them you should be able to easily switch them on/off.

I'm not positive but I believe the JK would be similar as it too only has one axle lock button from what I recall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
No kidding. The way that stock locker switch is setup makes it very confusing for someone who is new to the vehicle to try and figure the lockers out with one switch and a bunch of blinking lights!

I thought about doing the two stock switch panels but got lazy and just did the 3D printed part on ebay. Although I feel it’s be a bit tight in a manual :)
I have a 3D printer so I thought about going that route and making my own. I couldn't find any panels for the 97-02 dash that I liked online and didn't wanna try and use the 03+ ones.

I've seen yours, it looks like it turned out good!

Last edited: