ElectricWizards 2000 TJ Sport Build

Are you planning to customize the sound bar for the 6.5”. If you do, I’d love to see the details (I did the DB522 for all 4).

For the dash ones I’d highly recommend some type of dash pod or other insulation behind the speakers - the sound in mine is totally lost in there with my DB522s. The dash pods (while over priced) are on their way since I don’t have time to fashion something.

Final question: what liner did you do inside? I’m evaluating lizard skin (or similar) with some type of dynamat-like layer on it...

Yep! The DB652 are for the sound-bar, whatever I gotta do to make them fit will be documented!

Thanks for the recommendation, I was planning on using these speaker baffles with the MTX brackets for my dash speakers.

Unfortunately I don't know what liner product was used, it was the one of the few mods done to my Jeep by the PO. Whatever it is certainly is tough, definitely one of the higher quality liners. I've had friends use the Lizard Skin products and most of them seem to like it.

Reactions: rasband
Yep! The DB652 are for the sound-bar, whatever I gotta do to make them fit will be documented!

Thanks for the recommendation, I was planning on using these speaker baffles with the MTX brackets for my dash speakers.

Unfortunately I don't know what liner product was used, it was the one of the few mods done to my Jeep by the PO. Whatever it is certainly is tough, definitely one of the higher quality liners. I've had friends use the Lizard Skin products and most of them seem to like it.

I’m trying these and will be excited to see your experience, as these are quite pricey and took away from other budget. My only hope with these was I could add a port if necessary.

Regarding the liner I’m mostly trying to get some noise reduction for the family - hard to hear my kiddo in the back seat when the hard top and doors are on, my wife specially requested a little effort on that front. :)

Reactions: ElectricWizard
I’m trying these and will be excited to see your experience, as these are quite pricey and took away from other budget. My only hope with these was I could add a port if necessary.

Regarding the liner I’m mostly trying to get some noise reduction for the family - hard to hear my kiddo in the back seat when the hard top and doors are on, my wife specially requested a little effort on that front. :)

I haven't come across those before, they certainly look like they'll do the job nicely! I guess if I don't like the route I'm going I've got a decent option available.

I can certainly understand that. I'd like a bit more noise reduction as well, mainly adding some sound deadening to my hardtop. It can be a bit echoy inside the Jeep when nothing's in the back ;)

Reactions: rasband
2r40hmh.jpg

24uyqhh.jpg

Me and a friend spent yesterday having fun driving the Jeep around in the woods. We ended up visiting two historic cabins, among other places. Figured I'd share a couple of the pictures I took; I know that @psrivats is a fan :D

On another note, I now have all the parts for upgrading my stereo system and will be starting the install process when I've got time in the upcoming days :D

Today, I wanted to do a bit of test fitting for my dash speakers. Unfortunately, it seems I'm not going to be able to use the Boom Mat baffles with the MTX brackets like I was planning on.

The problem is due to the headlight switch. The bracket itself barely has enough room to fit, thus I highly doubt that there will be any room for the baffle. In-fact, I also think I'm going to have issues bolting the speaker to the bracket in that corner due to the same problem. We shall see..

I didn't get any pictures of the test fit, I just wanted to get an idea of what problems I could run into, but I will detail the problems more when I do the install.

Last edited:
View attachment 59742
View attachment 59743

Me and a friend spent yesterday having fun driving the Jeep around in the woods. We ended up visiting two historic cabins, among other places. Figured I'd share a couple of the pictures I took; I know that @psrivats is a fan :D

On another note, I now have all the parts for upgrading my stereo system and will be starting the install process when I've got time in the upcoming days :D

Today, I wanted to do a bit of test fitting for my dash speakers. Unfortunately, it seems I'm not going to be able to use the Boom Mat baffles with the MTX brackets like I was planning on.

The problem is due to the headlight switch. The bracket itself barely has enough room to fit, thus I highly doubt that there will be any room for the baffle. In-fact, I also think I'm going to have issues bolting the speaker to the bracket in that corner due to the same issue. We shall see..

I didn't get any pictures of the test fit, I just wanted to get an idea of what problems I could run into, but I will detail the problems more when I do the install.

Very, very nice. It was a beautiful weekend for exploring and I'm sure you had a blast driving the Jeep in the sunny weather. The first one reminds me of the Tilly Jane cabin but I know you have to hike up there. Where are these at?

I did not hike this weekend, but instead met @Chris in person yesterday and we chatted for hours on Jeeps and technology and life and the internet.

View attachment 59742
View attachment 59743

The problem is due to the headlight switch. The bracket itself barely has enough room to fit, thus I highly doubt that there will be any room for the baffle. In-fact, I also think I'm going to have issues bolting the speaker to the bracket in that corner due to the same issue. We shall see..

Where did you find that cabin? I assume it was somewhere around Mt. Hood?

Awesome photos either way... looks like a fun trip!

The headlight switch on yours is different, isn't it? On my 2005 it's on the same stalk as the turn signals. I think on the earlier TJs it was on the dashboard itself?

Where are these at?
Where did you find that cabin? I assume it was somewhere around Mt. Hood

They're both actually up around @Chris' neck of the woods in the Olallie Scenic area. First one is at Olallie Meadows and second is at Breitenbush Lake. I hope to try and make it up to the first one in particular with the Jeep and camp this winter; that'd make for a fun trip :D

Unfortunately both being in such a popular area show plenty of signs of vandalism and such, especially the meadows cabin. Me and my friend both talked about wanting to volunteer time and materials to repair and restore it to some degree.

The headlight switch on yours is different, isn't it? On my 2005 it's on the same stalk as the turn signals. I think on the earlier TJs it was on the dashboard itself?

Yep, mine is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I do like the later models consolidating most of the controls onto the stalks, and in this case it would've saved me a lot of grief had mine been equipped that way ;)

Reactions: psrivats and Chris
Yep, mine is on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. I do like the later models consolidating most of the controls onto the stalks, and in this case it would've saved me a lot of grief had mine been equipped that way ;)

Ha, the integrated stalk / multi-function switch seems cool at first, but that thing is so poorly designed and finicky that it's easy to see why so many people have problems with flickering fog lights, headlights that don't work, etc. The inside of the switch (I've repaired mine before) looks like some sort of a damn Rube Goldberg creation... It's overly engineered.

Sucks about the vandalism. I truly don't understand why people do crap like that. I wish I could catch them in the act.

If that's in my neck of the woods, I'll have to find an excuse to make it out there at some point.

Unfortunately both being in such a popular area show plenty of signs of vandalism and such, especially the meadows cabin. Me and my friend both talked about wanting to volunteer time and materials to repair and restore it to some degree.

Sad that people feel the need to vandalize these historic beauties. I'd happily volunteer my time and can share material cost with you folks for the restoration if you go. Just ping me!

@Chris you gotta go here to "test" your new mid-arm from Dave ;)

Ha, the integrated stalk / multi-function switch seems cool at first, but that thing is so poorly designed and finicky that it's easy to see why so many people have problems with flickering fog lights, headlights that don't work, etc. The inside of the switch (I've repaired mine before) looks like some sort of a damn Rube Goldberg creation... It's overly engineered.

I can certainly understand that, I've had to repair plenty of electronics over the years. It can look like an absolute disaster on the inside, but if it works it works ;)

For my model I'd like to have the combined wiper stalk, it'd be nice to have a dash button get freed up haha.

Sucks about the vandalism. I truly don't understand why people do crap like that. I wish I could catch them in the act.

Somewhat related, a couple weekends back near Badger Lake I came across a group of people driving off-road in the wilderness area. I approached them about it (nicely, of course) and they essentially told me to "f off". First time I had ever encountered anything like that, I was so furious.

Sad that people feel the need to vandalize these historic beauties. I'd happily volunteer my time and can share material cost with you folks for the restoration if you go. Just ping me!

Awesome, I certainly will!

The meadows cabin is in the National Forest, so I plan to contact the Forest Service regarding it. The other one is technically on the Warm Springs land, though they do allow access, so that's definitely more tricky.

If I ever get it back from Dave :risas3:

Kidding of course. I'm sure I'll have mine back by November. That is assuming of course that my vibration doesn't end up being as difficult to track down as yours!

Once you do the route is really a great forest road for testing a Jeep!

Reading about your guys' issues certainly makes me hope when I plan to regear sooner than later I don't have as much drama! Certainly a different setup, but still, it sounds common enough between different setups that who knows what'll happen :confused:

Somewhat related, a couple weekends back near Badger Lake I came across a group of people driving off-road in the wilderness area. I approached them about it (nicely, of course) and they essentially told me to "f off". First time I had ever encountered anything like that, I was so furious.

Wow, I don't blame you. I'd be furious over that too. It's a-holes like that that ruin it for the rest of us. Some people really just need to eliminate themselves from the gene pool, and I hope they do.

Reading about your guys' issues certainly makes me hope when I plan to regear sooner than later I don't have as much drama! Certainly a different setup, but still, it sounds common enough between different setups that who knows what'll happen :confused:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

In all fairness, I've owned two TJs, both which have been re-geared. The first one didn't have a single vibration whatsoever, and the second one did. So, it's not that they all get vibrations, but some do. Dave will give mind out though for sure, so I'm not worried.

Wow, I don't blame you. I'd be furious over that too. It's a-holes like that that ruin it for the rest of us. Some people really just need to eliminate themselves from the gene pool, and I hope they do.

I 100% agree, and with the way they were driving they'll probably manage to do so:risas3:. When I first drove up I saw one of them had a nicely built XJ and thought he could be cool. Roughly 30 seconds of observation proved that wrong :D

In all fairness, I've owned two TJs, both which have been re-geared. The first one didn't have a single vibration whatsoever, and the second one did. So, it's not that they all get vibrations, but some do. Dave will give mind out though for sure, so I'm not worried.

Of course. I'm not worried at all really, just more expecting the unexpected haha. I've been very lucky with my TJ so far when it comes to some of the pesky issues that can haunt them, but of course every TJ is different, and no two are the same when it comes to vibes it seems.

Reactions: Chris

Sadly, the only way you'll know is after you regear and go for a drive. We are very lucky in the sense that we have an expert like Dave pretty close. I'm hoping he figures mine and Chris' issue. It's already been 3 weeks for me and I miss not having my Jeep around but you know what ... it's going to be all that more sweeter when I do get it back. I have new bumpers, new tailgate strut, new tailgate hinges all waiting in my garage. The build shall continue!!

Sadly, the only way you'll know is after you regear and go for a drive. We are very lucky in the sense that we have an expert like Dave pretty close. I'm hoping he figures mine and Chris' issue. It's already been 3 weeks for me and I miss not having my Jeep around but you know what ... it's going to be all that more sweeter when I do get it back. I have new bumpers, new tailgate strut, new tailgate hinges all waiting in my garage. The build shall continue!!

Yep, your guys' issues will be solved eventually, and then we'll have plenty of good info for others facing similar issues! Everybody wins :D

Awesome, sounds like you'll be having fun when you get your TJ back! I've been thinking about getting the MORyde hinges soon as well; my tailgate does seem a tad unhappy on the stock hinges right now.

Yep, your guys' issues will be solved eventually, and then we'll have plenty of good info for others facing similar issues! Everybody wins :D

Awesome, sounds like you'll be having fun when you get your TJ back! I've been thinking about getting the MORyde hinges soon as well; my tailgate does seem a tad unhappy on the stock hinges right now.

The MORyde hinges are amazing. They are super beefy, you;ll know when you see in person. More than enough for my 32s, I won't be needing the exogate for sure. I strongly recommend this item. I paid $146 shipped and those hinges will outlast my jeep.

The MORyde hinges are amazing. They are super beefy, you;ll know when you see in person. More than enough for my 32s, I won't be needing the exogate for sure. I strongly recommend this item. I paid $146 shipped and those hinges will outlast my jeep.

Oh I believe it! All the pictures I've seen they're certainly very heavy duty looking. I planned on doing them in the long term anyways, but lately it seems like my tailgate makes more squeaks and such than it used to, and also it's sometimes not very happy about opening while the Jeep is flexed out a bit ;)

Oh I believe it! All the pictures I've seen they're certainly very heavy duty looking. I planned on doing them in the long term anyways, but lately it seems like my tailgate makes more squeaks and such than it used to, and also it's sometimes not very happy about opening while the Jeep is flexed out a bit ;)

The MORryde will take care of that. I have the entire unit (not just the hinges) and it's one beefy tire carrier!

The MORryde will take care of that. I have the entire unit (not just the hinges) and it's one beefy tire carrier!

I figured as much, but good to hear it first hand!

I actually found the Exogate before I even purchased my TJ, I've always liked the idea of it. I figured I'd start with the hinges and add in the rest of the system as I need to.