ElectricWizards 2000 TJ Sport Build

Yeah, exactly why I'm so frustrated! Good working wipers are mandatory around here, even moreso on the TJ :)

Honestly, my solution might just be what I mentioned in my reply to @tomtaylz about reusing the OE seal. I never see the need to drop the windshield so might as well seal 'er up!

Are OEM door and cowl seals getting hard to find? Or are they already impossible to buy new now?

Are OEM door and cowl seals getting hard to find? Or are they already impossible to buy new now?
Last I looked for a door seal it was around $200 and hard to find. I couldn't locate it again when I looked the other day. OE cowl seals seem to be available (for now) for 03-06 TJ, but again are expensive.

Last edited:
Last I looked for a door seal it was around $200 and hard to find. I couldn't locate it again when I looked the other day. OE cowl seals seem to be available for 03-06 TJ, but again are expensive.

There is a dealership in Arizona that I bought my OEM locking gas cap from. They said they had a lot of TJ parts in inventory. Let me call them and ask tomorrow if they have any OEM seals left. Will let you know.

There is a dealership in Arizona that I bought my OEM locking gas cap from. They said they had a lot of TJ parts in inventory. Let me call them and ask tomorrow if they have any OEM seals left. Will let you know.
Might be interested in a driver full-door seal if they got it! As long as it doesn't cost a lung ;)

Reactions: tomtaylz
The problem is I have no idea which parts are truly gone, which are about to be truly gone, and which are plentiful!

They don't make any parts anymore, so the ones they do have around are just new old stock (NOS) unfortunately. I think all of the interior parts are impossible to find now (new at least), such as trim pieces and what not.

Ahhh, the never ending fun of sourcing TJ replacement parts... haha.
Yep, it's just terrible these are the parts we have to rely on once the OE are all gone!

The problem is I have no idea which parts are truly gone, which are about to be truly gone, and which are plentiful!
Pretty much what @Chris said, just about everything but some drivetrain stuff isn't made new by Mopar anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: psrivats
Yep, it's just terrible these are the parts we have to rely on once the OE are all gone!

Pretty much what @Chris said, just about everything but drivetrain stuff isn't made new by Mopar anymore.

Yep. I don't think we have much to worry about with drivetrain and engine stuff for the most part. I say that because the 4.0 is such a popular engine, that they realize that people will keep them running for a long, long time.

But things like trim pieces, seats, plastic bits, etc... that stuff is already long gone for the most part.

But things like trim pieces, seats, plastic bits, etc... that stuff is already long gone for the most part.
This is one of the reasons I intend to do somewhat of a interior restoration at some point, at least for the plastics. Fix the door panel cracks, repaint, etc. Help keep that plastic lasting longer! I intend to keep this TJ as long as possible.

This is one of the reasons I intend to do somewhat of a interior restoration at some point, at least for the plastics. Fix the door panel cracks, repaint, etc. Help keep that plastic lasting longer! I intend to keep this TJ as long as possible.

A while back, I purchased a brand new set of OE Mopar door panels just to have a spare set, haha. Mine are just fine without any damage at all, but I figured like why not by a spare set, just incase?

Anyways, they're still sitting in the original Mopar box under our bed :risas3:

A while back, I purchased a brand new set of OE Mopar door panels just to have a spare set, haha. Mine are just fine without any damage at all, but I figured like why not by a spare set, just incase?

Anyways, they're still sitting in the original Mopar box under our bed :risas3:
Nice, that's a good find! I had looked at one point and couldn't find any new ones. I'm sure those were a pretty penny ;)

Mine door panels aern't too bad aside from the cracks and sun fading. I've seen cracks twice as long as the ones on my panels!

I have a new OEM fuel pump, mirrors and hood latches sitting in a box in my garage. I have the standard crack in the drive side door panel that I'm going to fix with RTV as AndyG posted on the forum recently. If I can find them, I'm going to try and buy a set of seals next now that you guys have alerted me how bad the aftermarket ones are. Some parts aftermarket is totally fine and I don't care, but other stuff I'd rather spend the money now and keep atleast 1 spare.

Nice, that's a good find! I had looked at one point and couldn't find any new ones. I'm sure those were a pretty penny ;)

Mine door panels aern't too bad aside from the cracks and sun fading. I've seen cracks twice as long as the ones on my panels!

They were $450 if I remember correctly, so not cheap, but I couldn't resist.

I've got a horde of other parts as well, though it's mostly sensors, fuel pumps, heater cores, and other random stuff.

Those cracks on your door panels are easy to fix with the right colored silicone. @AndyG did his recently (there's a thread somewhere) and it looks awesome. You literally can't even tell the crack was ever there.

They were $450 if I remember correctly, so not cheap, but I couldn't resist.

I've got a horde of other parts as well, though it's mostly sensors, fuel pumps, heater cores, and other random stuff.
Really that's not bad in the long run; those panels will only get more valuable with time! I guess I should start hording more parts, I'm falling behind you both ;)

I really wanna stock an OE fuel pump assembly but it's unfortunately been discontinued for my year and very tough to find. I read a post of Jerrys where he linked the actual fuel pump module, which is still available. I'm definitely gonna snag one of those soon!

Those cracks on your door panels are easy to fix with the right colored silicone. @AndyG did his recently (there's a thread somewhere) and it looks awesome. You literally can't even tell the crack was ever there.
I did read that thread, actually. It does look really good! Since my panels are faded and I plan to paint them anyways I figured I'd do a bit more of an involved repair with epoxy. My reasoning being I'm not sure paint would stick to silicone for long.

Reactions: Chris
Really that's not bad in the long run; those panels will only get more valuable with time! I guess I should start hording more parts, I'm falling behind you both ;)

I really wanna stock an OE fuel pump assembly but it's unfortunately been discontinued for my year and very tough to find. I read a post of Jerrys where he linked the actual fuel pump module, which is still available. I'm definitely gonna snag one of those soon!

I did read that thread, actually. It does look really good! Since my panels are faded and I plan to paint them anyways I figured I'd do a bit more of an involved repair with epoxy. My reasoning being I'm not sure paint would stick to silicone for long.

Oh yeah, start hording!

That fuel pump module is a good idea even if you can’t get the entire assembly.

I have a friend who painted his entire interior of his VW with that vinyl paint. He turned it from tan to black. I wasn’t expecting it to look good or hold up, but it turned out looking just like factory and has held up for at least 3 years now!

Color me impressed!

Reactions: ElectricWizard
That fuel pump module is a good idea even if you can’t get the entire assembly.
I've already experienced aftermarket fuel pumps, not a fan ;)

My buddy has an 87 XJ and the fuel pump crapped out at Bennett Pass this summer. We went up and camped to fixed it only to find it wasn't right and needed to be modified to fit. We ended up having to go up a week later after modifying it to finally get it done!

I have a friend who painted his entire interior of his VW with that vinyl paint. He turned it from tan to black. I wasn’t expecting it to look good or hold up, but it turned out looking just like factory and has held up for at least 3 years now!
It can look really good if done right!

I'm planning on using Color Bond Agate LVP paint, I've seen others results and it really is a good match to the factory color. I'd use that with an adhesion promotor and satin clear coat and everything should look factory :)

Reactions: Chris

Try looking at advanced auto, a couple of months ago they had some fuel pumps kicking around in their inventory. Not sure if they’re all gone.

For me at least. I believe that’s the right model. If there’s none near you and you really want it I could get it and ship it too you.

10BC29A9-2AAE-4BD1-95FA-5581543225FF.png

Last edited:
Try looking at advanced auto, a couple of months ago they had some fuel pumps kicking around in their inventory. Not sure if they’re all gone.

For me at least. I believe that’s the right model. If there’s none near you and you really want it I could get it and ship it too you.

View attachment 65741
Interesting, I checked their site a few weeks ago and it showed out of stock site-wide. None nearby but it does give me the option to have one shipped. I might have to jump on one soon :)

Reactions: tomtaylz
OK, I called the dealership in AZ this morning about the seals. They checked and don't have any :( They are going to check their parts network and get back to me.

I checked quirkparts on ebay and they have a set of door seals for $250 (left/right sold individually). You weren't kidding when you said OEM ones were expensive.