Electronic yellow box behind dash

Aaronroy

Can anyone help me understand what is the purpose of this yellow box that was mounted next to the steering column? And why there would be so many wire splicers?

0319191637_HDR.jpg

0319191637a_HDR.jpg

0319191637b_HDR.jpg

0319191637c_HDR.jpg

0319191637d_HDR.jpg

Maybe an alarm or remote start?

Could be a remote start? It seems to cut in to the wires heading toward the ignition switch. There is always a "no key" indicator on the dash. Maybe that could have something to do with it? If the sticker on the back weren't worn down, I'm sure I could just google whatever it is. The engine runs without it plugged in, so it's not an essential piece of equipment.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If you pop up the little cover seen in the upper left of the device in your first pic, does it have some DIP switches (tiny on/off switches)? If it does, I'm seriously betting remote start or remotely-controllable alarm system.
Either way, I'd just take it out.
If you do, grab yourself some DAP Clear Flexible Sealant and dab over the insulation "wounds" in every wire from which you remove one of those splicer connectors.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
If you pop up the little cover seen in the upper left of the device in your first pic, does it have some DIP switches (tiny on/off switches)? If it does, I'm seriously betting remote start or remotely-controllable alarm system.
Either way, I'd just take it out.
If you do, grab yourself some DAP Clear Flexible Sealant and dab over the insulation "wounds" in every wire from which you remove one of those splicer connectors.

The little cover is over a two-prong male connector. I actually pulled it apart and it has what looks like 4 relays on a circuit board. I can get another picture if it would help. I don't know enough to guess what that would do. But yeah, I'm thinking whatever the heck it is, I'm just going to pull it out and clean everything up. Since it's not essential to make anything work, I'm just going to throw it in a box and roll on! Thanks for the advice!