Emergency flashers not working after LED install

Snadler

Hello to all!
I am a new member.
I have a 2001 TJ I have been rebuilding and have an issue that has me stumped! I changed the front signals and rear tail lights and brake lights to LED’s. I have replaced the flasher unit with one for LED’s which solved the hyper flashing but the emergency flashers just buzz? Have tried 2 different flasher units rated for LED’s to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Admin move at your discretion.

Did you change the side marker lights in the fender flares to LED as well?

Yes I did. I installed new fenders with LED’s.

Try testing this then... swap those LED side markers out for the factory halogens if you have them.

My guess is that will fix is. The factory side markers use a "floating ground" and when you put LEDs in them, the system starts acting all sorts of wonky. Mine did the same thing until I replaced them with the factory halogen bulbs.

There is a way to fix it I'm sure, I'm just not good enough with electronics to know what the actual solution is.

Reactions: BoldlyGoing
Too comfy in my easy chair to go out and look, but is there a separate flasher unit for the emergency flashers? If so that would mean you need to change out the other flasher. If there isn't two then disregard this posting.

B

Hello to all!
I am a new member.
I have a 2001 TJ I have been rebuilding and have an issue that has me stumped! I changed the front signals and rear tail lights and brake lights to LED’s. I have replaced the flasher unit with one for LED’s which solved the hyper flashing but the emergency flashers just buzz? Have tried 2 different flasher units rated for LED’s to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Admin move at your discretion.
I just went through the same problem. I bought a cheap one off the shelf it did that.

Then i returned it and bought the 35 dollar one and it works perfectly.

My advice go to orileys and have them pull it up in the computer.

this is the one I used after the cheap one didn't work

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...er?q=Flasher-Hazard+Warning/Turn+Signal&pos=0

Try testing this then... swap those LED side markers out for the factory halogens if you have them.

My guess is that will fix is. The factory side markers use a "floating ground" and when you put LEDs in them, the system starts acting all sorts of wonky. Mine did the same thing until I replaced them with the factory halogen bulbs.

There is a way to fix it I'm sure, I'm just not good enough with electronics to know what the actual solution is.

Yes, the stock bulbs (not LED's) get grounded one way for the marker light and then the electrical flow and ground goes the other way for the turn signal. It's kind of a wonky setup but actually pretty simple. The shortcut around this is:

A) add a second LED- wire one from one wire to ground, wire the second to the other wire and ground (if one or the other doesn't work, just reverse your ground and supply wires- LED's are polarity specific)

B) pick a wire- tape the second off- one wire will feed a turn signal LED, the other will feed a marker light. Just pick which one you want.

image.png

I had the problem for more than 30 days while I had the original bulbs installed in the original fenders. The problem was still there. I was hoping matching the LED's in the side markers would fix it no luck.

I just went through the same problem. I bought a cheap one off the shelf it did that.

Then i returned it and bought the 35 dollar one and it works perfectly.

My advice go to orileys and have them pull it up in the computer.

this is the one I used after the cheap one didn't work

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/novita-technologies-4462/lighting---electrical-16777/relays-16479/lighting-relays-16560/flasher-hazard-warning-turn-signal-11491/25273eaec812/novita-technologies-13-5-amp-5-terminal-turn-signal-flasher/lm470/4542988/2001/jeep/wrangler?q=Flasher-Hazard+Warning/Turn+Signal&pos=0
I will order one of these today and give it a try once it comes in. Not sure if there is an Orileys near me or not?

Yes, the stock bulbs (not LED's) get grounded one way for the marker light and then the electrical flow and ground goes the other way for the turn signal. It's kind of a wonky setup but actually pretty simple. The shortcut around this is:

A) add a second LED- wire one from one wire to ground, wire the second to the other wire and ground (if one or the other doesn't work, just reverse your ground and supply wires- LED's are polarity specific)

B) pick a wire- tape the second off- one wire will feed a turn signal LED, the other will feed a marker light. Just pick which one you want.

View attachment 72569
I will try this after I try another replacxement flasher if it does not work. Thanks!

If you look at the pic I posted, you'll see how the stock bulb is actually across the marker and the turn filaments. It is not directly grounded. Just FYI.

I’d bet money this is the issue.

It’s the only reason I haven’t changed my front corner signals to LED. I heard lots of people dealing with nightmares.

Reactions: Chris

It’s the only reason I haven’t changed my front corner signals to LED. I heard lots of people dealing with nightmares.
I have had the problem before i changed the markers or the front signal bulbs. With only the rear changed the problem reared its head. Ultimately i think i will have to do the wiring modification that dbb1 was so kind to post the diagram for. I do want to try the flasher replacement first as I should have it in my hands by the weekend.

But, if I'm following you correctly, my suggestions for the front marker/turn signal won't help, as you had this problem for 30 days before you did the fronts. So, I would eliminate the fronts as possibly being an issue by putting the stock bulbs back in (even if only temporarily). Then work on the problem. Maybe the flasher? Maybe a ground issue at one of the tail lights?

But, if I'm following you correctly, my suggestions for the front marker/turn signal won't help, as you had this problem for 30 days before you did the fronts. So, I would eliminate the fronts as possibly being an issue by putting the stock bulbs back in (even if only temporarily). Then work on the problem. Maybe the flasher? Maybe a ground issue at one of the tail lights?
With all stock bulbs the signals and flasher work fine. When i put the LED's in just the rear the problem comes back and stays remains with the installation of the fronts. I have not re installed the original marker lamps back in as i just had them in last week (problem existed with orig marker lamps) before i changed the fenders to incorporate the LED marker lamps.

I changed mine to LED and that's when the nightmares began. Like I said, there's a way to fix it, I'm just not knowledgable enough with electronics to know what the fix is.

After returning them to halogen bulbs, all the issues went away. My headlights and taillights are still of course LED however.

This is what i did and the setup.
2002 sport.
The front headlights are halo lights wired into turn signals. (not my jeep)
Rear are stock lights.
Both front lights have socket removed. (No wires were cut)
Used side marker lights for new 3/4" LED lights. (Cut and spliced, soldered and shrink tubed)

Stock flasher did hyper flashing. (Did not test hazzards)

Bought cheap off the shelf flasher. Fixed hyper flash but hazzards failed. Loud buzzing/clicking but no light flash.

Bought new high quality flasher NOVITA LM470 (Pic attached) fixed the hazard issue. Works wonderful.

NOTE.... the cheap one and the good one were both made by the same manufacturer just different model numbers. Just because the look the same and say the same thing doesn't mean that they work the same.
1547671339325880532793527660569.jpg

Mine does the same thing, led tails only. Solution: Do not use flashers. I honestly cannot recall a time I have ever used flashers anyway.

Mine does the same thing, led tails only. Solution: Do not use flashers. I honestly cannot recall a time I have ever used flashers anyway.
As long as you are not in one of those places where they do "safety" checks before you can get it licensed.

As long as you are not in one of those places where they do "safety" checks before you can get it licensed.
Im shocked that California doesn't do that..... they don't care about your safety..... but god forbid you change the intake or exhaust then you are in trouble you might be polluting and that carries a death sentence (if the had one)