EMP Proof TJ

Pulling this one out of the archives:
Based on this article's estimate of a 13 hour heads up, TJ computer & power distribution box (fuses) pulled out & put in a faraday cage. Anything else to be concerned with? I know TJs are supposed to be hardened, but an ounce of prevention...
https://canada.timesofnews.com/tech...that-could-knock-out-internet-study-says.html

My understanding of EMP is piss-poor, but wouldn't it be as simple as disconnecting the electronics from the battery entirely so they're not powered down/energized?

Reactions: Chris
My understanding of EMP is piss-poor, but wouldn't it be as simple as disconnecting the electronics from the battery entirely so they're not powered down/energized?

Think of radios. When the signal hits an antenna it creates a very small voltage signal, which is amplified by the stereo to go to the speakers. A nearby lightning strike or EMP creates super-powerful radio waves where every bit of unshielded wire becomes an antenna that picks up voltage and sends it wherever it can go, potentially damaging sensitive components.

Disconnecting wires at the battery won't really help. Disconnecting wires at the electronic device will take away the long wires that are a big antenna, so that can potentially help.

If you're super paranoid... Buy a spare ecu and build a faraday cage inside a pelican case and keep it in the Jeep always available to swap in.

If you're super paranoid... Buy a spare ecu and build a faraday cage inside a pelican case and keep it in the Jeep always available to swap in.
This has been an idea of mine.
Any links on where to get a spare?
97 4.0 5sp
Thanks

I'd speculate that since the TJ is a smaller vehicle with more or less older motor and fuel injection system the wire paths are shorter and thus less antenna length to pick up damaging energy.

Love to see that report.

Especially since we all hang radios all over our rigs...and lights...wonder what all those extra wires would do for resistance to EMP. More wire would be bad I imagine.

-Mac

Every time I read or see something and think it is about the most ridiculous thing I've run into for a very long time, a thread pops up like this one and reminds that no matter how much silly I've seen or read, the supply is apparently boundless.
You just need to 'get on board' with it!

R.jpg

of bigger concern in a SHTF scenario is my TJ, if it happens to have a full tank, will get me about 170-200 miles before it's useless.

If you're really concerned about prepping your TJ for post apocalyptic use, you need to be swapping in one of those old school diesels that will run on damn near any liquid that burns. Otherwise all you're doing is buying a few extra hours of use.

Reactions: tombicon
even if you don't buy into the man-made EMP strike, the natural ones we get from the sun happen enough that it's likely we'll eventually experience one. The "Carrington Event" in 1859 created aurora visible in the Caribbean, set telegraph offices on fire, shocked operators, and brought networks down in Europe and North America.

We missed one of approximately equal size in 2012 by nine days...

Reactions: 707kevin
I doubt anyone specifically tested the TJ. If anything, they probably did what the EMP Commission did in the early 2000s. They took a bunch of vehicles that represented standard equipment in use and tested them multiple times. While a lot of them had minor issues afterward, only one wouldn't run. Small, closed systems tend to do fairly well with EMP.

I don't see any point in testing a TJ. Everything on it was industry standard at the time. It would likely do worse than most vehicles of the era because it doesn't have a metal roof, which provides at least a little shielding. You can't look at the $5 trailer lights on the back and tell me they spent extra money on above average electronics.

Reactions: srimes
_One Second After_ by William Forstchen is a great fictional book about a family dealing with the aftermath of a targeted EMP event. It's been a few years since I've read it and now I found out he has two more in the series that I'll have to get and read as well. In it the lead protagonist has an old Edsel and Mustang so he's one of the lucky few who can still travel.
+1 to all three books in this series. Some of the better ones in the genre

of bigger concern in a SHTF scenario is my TJ, if it happens to have a full tank, will get me about 170-200 miles before it's useless.

If you're really concerned about prepping your TJ for post apocalyptic use, you need to be swapping in one of those old school diesels that will run on damn near any liquid that burns. Otherwise all you're doing is buying a few extra hours of use.
Pretty much any vehicle will be useless eventually in such a scenario.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
TJ's are already EMP resistant. At least according to one report I read. The Air Force tested one, among other vehicles, at the range in New Mexico. It stopped, but started right back up with no discernable damage. The paper said that if the field strength got high enough to disable the vehicle permanently, the operator would be disabled as well. Nice thought, huh?
What actually happened was it started, then a bunch of women that wanted their garages back got mad about that and they scrapped the whole program. Chris has it archived. Was a bad scene.

• Haha
Reactions: 707kevin
My very first job out of college in 1973 was working for a company doing EMP hardening of Minuteman III launch control facilities. That was when I learned there was next to nothing known about EMP. There was a classified waveform that was their best guess at what they thought EMP might look like. In the following years I saw a house of cards built by beltway bandits who were paid many $M to further expand this guess. Yes, EMP was experienced after a high altitude nuclear burst. No, not much more is known about it, nor what it’s effects might be. It is a mathematical model based upon the sketchiest of data.