Ended up with a 5 inch suspension lift

btn

I recently installed the OME 4” lift coil springs. They ended up giving me at least 5” of suspension lift over stock. I’d like to add a 1.25” body lift as well, but would that be a bit too high and unstable? Should I just stick with the 5” suspension lift and no body lift? The tires clear the fenders either way on full compression, so clearance is no issue. Thanks.

What are you trying to accomplish? 5 inches of clearance is enough to run 35s so assuming you also did everything else recommended why would you need that extra inch?

Reactions: btn
Did you measure you current springs? Or did you compare height from before to now?
It may be likely the stock springs had sagged 1” making a 4” lift have 5” of ride height change.
Measure the overall length of you front springs as your Jeep sits now. Anything over 12” is lift height from stock.

I measured the current Springs, using the standard of measuring from the bottom spring perch to the top spring perch.

What are you trying to accomplish? 5 inches of clearance is enough to run 35s so assuming you also did everything else recommended why would you need that extra inch?
I’m trying to go with a standard 4 inches a suspension lift and 1.25 inches of body lift that is accepted standard for 35 inch tires. So I’m thinking if 5 inches total spring lift gets me to the same overall height, adding the body lift might just be a unnecessary and add instability.

I’m trying to go with a standard 4 inches a suspension lift and 1.25 inches of body lift that is accepted standard for 35 inch tires. So I’m thinking if 5 inches total spring lift gets me to the same overall height, adding the body lift might just be a unnecessary and add instability.

It all depends on your goals for the build. We like to stop at ~4" of spring lift to make the drive shafts easier to deal with. We like the 1.25" body lift to raise up the undersidess and a few other changes. Stability concerns over an inch of height isn't really a concern as that can be mitigated through sway bars and good shocks.

Reactions: btn and JMT
I recently installed the OME 4” lift coil springs. They ended up giving me at least 5” of suspension lift over stock. I’d like to add a 1.25” body lift as well, but would that be a bit too high and unstable? Should I just stick with the 5” suspension lift and no body lift? The tires clear the fenders either way on full compression, so clearance is no issue. Thanks.

Add 170lbs in the rear and 170lbs in the front. Then you’ll be at ~4”. 😉

Yeah, it really depends on your build goals. If you want to raise the belly, you’ll need a body lift to create that space. There’s no reason to have 6.25” for 35’s, but it’s not the end of the world either. It’s really your call since it’s you have to decide where you want to go. If you are really light and pkan to add armor, winch, etc… you’re lift height will decrease.
200.gif

There is no accepted standard. The body lift is an easier way to gain extra clearance without changing the driveline but if you are already there with the springs you’re good.

There is no accepted standard

Apparently the Forum Regulations and Guidebook copies have not made it to everyone- Chapter 6, Suspension Lift Regulations states “no forum member shall run more than 5.25” (canadians can use metric) of combined spring and body lift without panel approval.”

See the violations section for penalties.

The 2023 Forum Reg.Book- Read it, learn it, live it.

Last edited:
I bought a 4" Currie lift and 1.25 JKS body lift at the same time. Installed the lift and it was over 4". It was clearing 35's with no rubbing. I figured I'd wait to see how much it would sag then do the body lift. 2 years later and still no rubbing so I never installed the body lift. As mentioned, as long as your driveshafts are happy there MAY not be a need for the body lift unless you're planning on a belly up skid.

Edit: Seems a lot of supposedly "35 inch" tires run a little small so maybe that's playing a part in one guy needing the body lift and the next guy has no issue.

Reactions: btn and primetime4
I bought a 4" Currie lift and 1.25 JKS body lift at the same time. Installed the lift and it was over 4". It was clearing 35's with no rubbing. I figured I'd wait to see how much it would sag then do the body lift. 2 years later and still no rubbing so I never installed the body lift. As mentioned, as long as your driveshafts are happy there MAY not be a need for the body lift unless you're planning on a belly up skid.

Edit: Seems a lot of supposedly "35 inch" tires run a little small so maybe that's playing a part in one guy needing the body lift and the next guy has no issue.

Tires of all advertised sizes run small. A 35” tire is still a 35” tire just like a cord of wood is still a cord and a 2x4” is a 2x4””. With tires the differences are really minor.