Engaging 4WD high at speed?

Both are true automatic lockers. In 4x4 either/both will be an issue when on an icy surface.
They will for sure.

Dang these dependable sturdy lockers I have! 🥴

Literally all 3 of my personal vehicles are pure death traps on Ice, I should be dead. All solid axles front and rear, all with auto lockers Front and rear, one with limited slips front and rear. Maybe one will be my demise. In the meantime whenever I get into icy/shitty driving conditions Ill just continue to drive slow and careful. Not the way I would drive if open/open. Or, take my one of my lady's modern safety and traction savvy vehicles.

These snow/ice road threads though. Always good conversation! 🤣

Like motor oils or religion or politics.......

Reactions: reddvltj
Jerry, don’t you have Elockrs at both ends?
Have you run front only on snow/ice/wet clay?
I'm not Jerry. But my last TJ was a 2006 Rubicon that I did the full bypass on the locker switch and could control them how I wanted. I lived in Western Montana at the time.

Without being argumentative, what are you wanting know? I drove it with just the front only on just for fun sometimes, It still bucked when turning and would pull itself around when turning if you blipped the throttle.

I would say it was not ideal with front only on for icy roads. It rocked in deep snow, especially with both lockers engaged.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Without being argumentative, what are you wanting know? I drove it with just the front only on just for fun sometimes, It still bucked when turning and would pull itself around when turning if you blipped the throttle.

I would say it was not ideal with front only on for icy roads. It rocked in deep snow, especially with both lockers engaged.
Some get that, some others refuse to. :)

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
......It still bucked when turning and would pull itself around when turning if you blipped the throttle.

I would say it was not ideal with front only on for icy roads...
But better than both lockers?

The same principals that have taught Currie to run a Detroit front / Elock rear are in play in all grip environments. As you said, add gas and it pulled around the corner. Thats what happens when the rear non steer axle is allowed to turn at different wheel speeds (open/lsd). Instead of having the rear push you straight ahead because it doesn’t have enough grip to unlock the auto locker.

Everyone time this come up regarding auto lockers and snow/ice. It seems to come from people who are also locked out back. IMHO, a Detroit in the rear is the worst possible option of all the lockers.

BTW; the red clay in the Southeast has less grip than ice when it’s wet.

Last edited:
But better than both lockers?

The same principals that have taught Currie to run a Detroit front / Elock rear are in play in all grip environments. As you said, add gas and it pulled around the corner. Thats what happens when the rear non steer axle is allowed to turn at different wheel speeds (open/lsd). Instead of having the rear push you straight ahead because it doesn’t have enough grip to unlock the auto locker.

Everyone time this come up regarding auto lockers and snow/ice. It seems to come from people who are also locked out back.

BTW; the red clay in the Southeast has less grip than ice when it’s wet.

I'm waay too dumb and poor to wheel like John Currie and his Jeeps.

I'll take your word on the red clay, there is some red mud around here also up in the hills. I hate cleaning up after that mud. My Jeep doesn't have the sack my old Chevy does to play in it anyway.

My TJ Rubicon had the factory lockers, when the rear is unlocked it is still an LS. So I'm afraid I have no experience with having a true open/locked rear and locked front.

But, Ill make you a deal. My 79 Chevy on 1 tons and 38's has a twin stick NP205. The Dana 60 front has a Yukon Spartan locker. I'm gonna finish up my Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI install on it this weekend and it should be running again. Next time I'm in that dangerous Turd on some Ice, I will throw it in Front Wheel Drive only and report back to this thread. Should be like a giant Honda Civic I'm sure.

I cannot guarantee you that the front wheel drive only operation won't turn into reverse doughnut's with the Rev Limiter Bouncing. All safety precautions will be taken.

But, Ill make you a deal. My 79 Chevy on 1 tons and 38's has a twin stick NP205. The Dana 60 front has a Yukon Spartan locker. I'm gonna finish up my Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 EFI install on it this weekend and it should be running again. Next time I'm in that dangerous Turd on some Ice, I will throw it in Front Wheel Drive only and report back to this thread. Should be like a giant Honda Civic I'm sure.
It will drive like a FWD with an LSD. Both wheels churning!
Dropping the rear output with the twin stick isn’t the same. There is some added push / stability from the single rear wheel driving.
Don’t believe me, as @JMT too.

It will drive like a FWD with an LSD. Both wheels churning!
Dropping the rear output with the twin stick isn’t the same. There is some added push / stability from the single rear wheel driving.
Don’t believe me, as @JMT too.

Nice. I don't need to ask @JMT though. I was gonna meet up with him a few weeks ago and it fell through. he seems like a nice guy though and I look forward to wheeling with him and the North Idaho/Washington people soon.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't know you from Adam, but I'm fully aware of everything that you are saying already about drive modes, and lockers, and ice and mud. It just seems you have a hard on for a front locker only in your Jeep and that's awesome.

Nice that we can be light hearted instead of the usual forum BS arguing.

Nice. I don't need to ask @JMT though. I was gonna meet up with him a few weeks ago and it fell through. he seems like a nice guy though and I look forward to wheeling with him and the North Idaho/Washington people soon.

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't know you from Adam, but I'm fully aware of everything that you are saying already about drive modes, and lockers, and ice and mud. It just seems you have a hard on for a front locker only in your Jeep and that's awesome.

Nice that we can be light hearted instead of the usual forum BS arguing.
If anything I’m anti Detroit in a rear axle. Well, except for drag cars that is......