Engine and transmission dropped, help!

Halo15

Took skid plate off for muffler job. Lower plenty of times without issue. This time, engine dropped way to far without support - yea I f up. Now, it won’t go back up. If you jack up the trans/engine back into place it will just stay in the down position to the point that the whole Jeep will come off the ground. I’m screwed!!!

I’m thinking maybe rear shaft binding or something in engine bay catching due to how far it dropped. Motor mounts are intact but rubber bushings are stretched.

Any ideas how to get this back in place?

2000 Tj 5speed

Just guessing but here's where I'd start:
Transfer case linkage
Trans Shifter
Slip yoke on driveshaft if you have one
Did the engine rock back and wedge into the firewall?
What happened to the radiator fan when the engine tilted back?

When I dropped my skid, I used a fairly heavy ratchet strap across the frame and to the transfer case. (I had the Jeep on the lift)

Looks like the engine rocked back to the firewall. I already removed the fan so no binding there. No idea how to move it forward if that’s the issue

Looks like the engine rocked back to the firewall. I already removed the fan so no binding there. No idea how to move it forward if that’s the issue
I'm sure it rocked back to firewall, but does it look like wedged?
Investigate the transfer case and trans linkage and the slip yoke on the drive shaft.

It looks wedged to the firewall from the little I can see. If that’s the case, any ideas on how to unwedge?

It looks wedged to the firewall from the little I can see. If that’s the case, any ideas on how to unwedge?
Is it a stick shift? If so the shifter boot should unclip from the console and you can see where that is in relation to the floor. That might be catching

I'd think the engine would come back up and forward once you figure out what is causing it not to lift up.

Reactions: tworley
I’ll take a few pics when I get back to the house. Hopefully I can get this fixed.

Thanks all for the help.

Reactions: TJ Starting
Here are some pics of my engine and the drop back. Any help appreciated

D9B55609-9629-4B96-B3A0-ABD908019307.jpeg

5730D5B0-F173-4B47-A4ED-1D6FB89F9068.jpeg

73CA7344-12AF-40E1-9DA7-F4B83E0B2A2B.jpeg

810B1BD3-FD65-4E71-88CA-BE906F8B1145.jpeg

EC52648D-94BD-4C55-A8BE-19E0FCBC27F3.jpeg

Not to derail this thread but you do know that you don't have a radiator fan, right?

I'd look front to back and find what's pushing up. It could be a bent exhaust too.

Problem fixed!!

Rear shaft bound up when the engine/trans dropped preventing the unit from being lifted back in place. Had to remove the rear shaft to move it. Lesson learned on supporting the engine with skid off....

Thanks all for the input!!