Engine behaves very weird if restarted 5-10 minutes after hot idle

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
Fellow TJers, I need your help. I am seeing an issue with my TJ that i reproduce with 100% probability.
This is the problem:
1. Sit in a parking lot with engine running (in park, basically a hot idle situation), relatively hot Houston weather, after driving to the store (or whatever), engine temperature at stable at 210 at all time.
2. Shut down the engine, remove the key
3. wait for 5 or 10 minutes.
4. Then restart the engine (the temperature gauge will show slightly higher that 210), and it will behave very bad. It will crank and start, but the RPM will be very unstable (jumping down to 200/300 area), like almost shutting itself down, will shake like crazy, and after a minute or two it will stabilize and run perfectly fine. No check engine lights observed at all.

If i do not wait at all with engine shut down (dont do the step #3), (like drive to the store, sit in the car for 5 minutes, shut down the engine, remove the key, and then restart the engine in less than a minute or 30 seconds) engine starts and runs perfectly fine. Somehow, restarting it when it is very hot, after letting it cool down for 5 minutes drives it crazy.
If i start the engine from cold, there will be some ticking when engine temperature reaches 150, but they disappear very quickly after heating up to 180, and then engine runs just fine. I am not experiencing anything except this ticking (that i dont even hear if I drive, it can be heard when you start the engine and stand next to it when it heats up)
I know my lifters might be bad, and might me be leaking, so is it possible that they leaked in this 10 minutes of wait? If they are leaking, why the same leak does not impact my engine as bad when i start it cold?
If i have a problem with my cooling system (i have replaced only the radiator so far, it is brand new), then Wouldnt it be reflected on overheats or something? I have not seen any signs of overheat so far, as it is always on 210 (after heating it up), no matter how hard i am pushing it (like 70MPH with overdrive off, runs like champ). I have measured the temperatures using external thermometer, the temperature gauge works just fine, and think that thermostat as well. Also, if water pump would have any problem, i think that it will never be able to cool itself down correctly, which it actually does perfectly fine.
The engine has 104K on it, and runs pretty strong usually, except this problem.

Any words of wisdom? Anybody have seen anything like this?

It sounds a lot like Heat Soak. The fuel in the fuel rail near the #3 injector vaporizes, so when you restart, there is vapor not liquid fuel in the rail. It starts, but runs rough, after a few seconds, liquid fuel gets in and it runs right again. You only get a CEL if you do this several times in a row.
The factory solution is to cover the #3 injector with sparkplug wire insulation. Below is a copy of it.
misfire cyl 3.PNG

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Tons of us have -Common issue. Mine does it all the time in warm weather- simply idle up a sec til the fuel is flowing and you are fine. Wrapping number 3 may help, but it is like using a sleeping bag in an oven. The intake and exhaust are on the same side of the engine- it is a furnace.

Reactions: John Cooper
On my trip to Colorado last month. When I would stop for gas it would do this. Just opening the hood while I filled the tank let enough heat out to stop the vapor lock.

Reactions: AndyG
It sounds a lot like Heat Soak. The fuel in the fuel rail near the #3 injector vaporizes, so when you restart, there is vapor not liquid fuel in the rail. It starts, but runs rough, after a few seconds, liquid fuel gets in and it runs right again. You only get a CEL if you do this several times in a row.
The factory solution is to cover the #3 injector with sparkplug wire insulation. Below is a copy of it.
View attachment 285808
Really appreciate your answer and help. Otherwise I would ton of time investigating what went wrong.
This would really scare my wife, if it would happen to her.
I will take it as a personal project to solve it as using heat shielding on the fuel rail. If I will succeed, I will make a nice how to guide in how to section, so fellow Jeepers have a solution for our common problem.
Already got from Amazon this kit:

Design Engineering 010378 Fuel Rail and Injector Cover Kit for Jeep (1997-2004, 4.0L Engine​

And this:

Heat Shield Sleeve Wrap Fiberglass, 1800 Degree Auto Hose 1" IDX10' Spark Plug Wire Heat Protectors Roll for Car&Auto Wire oom Brake Line Cable (Black)​

Will try them combined.

Tons of us have -Common issue. Mine does it all the time in warm weather- simply idle up a sec til the fuel is flowing and you are fine. Wrapping number 3 may help, but it is like using a sleeping bag in an oven. The intake and exhaust are on the same side of the engine- it is a furnace.
I will let you know if my wrap project will succeed:).

Fellow TJers, I need your help. I am seeing an issue with my TJ that i reproduce with 100% probability.
This is the problem:
1. Sit in a parking lot with engine running (in park, basically a hot idle situation), relatively hot Houston weather, after driving to the store (or whatever), engine temperature at stable at 210 at all time.
2. Shut down the engine, remove the key
3. wait for 5 or 10 minutes.
4. Then restart the engine (the temperature gauge will show slightly higher that 210), and it will behave very bad. It will crank and start, but the RPM will be very unstable (jumping down to 200/300 area), like almost shutting itself down, will shake like crazy, and after a minute or two it will stabilize and run perfectly fine. No check engine lights observed at all.

If i do not wait at all with engine shut down (dont do the step #3), (like drive to the store, sit in the car for 5 minutes, shut down the engine, remove the key, and then restart the engine in less than a minute or 30 seconds) engine starts and runs perfectly fine. Somehow, restarting it when it is very hot, after letting it cool down for 5 minutes drives it crazy.
If i start the engine from cold, there will be some ticking when engine temperature reaches 150, but they disappear very quickly after heating up to 180, and then engine runs just fine. I am not experiencing anything except this ticking (that i dont even hear if I drive, it can be heard when you start the engine and stand next to it when it heats up)
I know my lifters might be bad, and might me be leaking, so is it possible that they leaked in this 10 minutes of wait? If they are leaking, why the same leak does not impact my engine as bad when i start it cold?
If i have a problem with my cooling system (i have replaced only the radiator so far, it is brand new), then Wouldnt it be reflected on overheats or something? I have not seen any signs of overheat so far, as it is always on 210 (after heating it up), no matter how hard i am pushing it (like 70MPH with overdrive off, runs like champ). I have measured the temperatures using external thermometer, the temperature gauge works just fine, and think that thermostat as well. Also, if water pump would have any problem, i think that it will never be able to cool itself down correctly, which it actually does perfectly fine.
The engine has 104K on it, and runs pretty strong usually, except this problem.

Any words of wisdom? Anybody have seen anything like this?
That d/e kit will fix it,fixed mine ,u tube vids on it too!

I did the insulate #3 trick. It may have helped, but I've had the heat soak symptom a time or two even afterwards. I just rev it up for a moment to clear it. I'm wanting to install hood vents which reputedly solves the problem.

X2 on the DE kit. Took about an hour to install, my heatsoak issue went away almost entirely. On the hottest of hot days I still get a little rough idle for a minute or two but not nearly enough to be a problem.