Engine cutting out intermittently

Setbowl

97 TJ 2.5l
I’ve had a small issue for about as long as I’ve had it that I think is finally catching up to me. The original problem was that sometimes when I would start my jeep up (no matter the weather) and get onto the road it would act like it was stalling out and no amount of pressing the gas pedal would liven it back up, then all of a sudden it would liven up like nothing happened. This has been going on for at least the last two years and I haven’t really worried about it. Then the other day I went out and as I was in 5th gear going about 70 it all of a sudden cut out, I quickly dropped it into neutral and pulled off. Then I put it back into gear to see if it would do anything and it acted like nothing happened and drove off normal. This continued to happen on the drive on the highway about 3 or 4 more times, but didn’t completely cut out, just for a second. Last night I cleaned my IAC valve, then today I was going to the store in it and was going down my driveway and it cut out and will not start back up. I have no idea what it could possibly be, except maybe fuel pump or something in fuel delivery but have no idea.

97 TJ 2.5l
I’ve had a small issue for about as long as I’ve had it that I think is finally catching up to me. The original problem was that sometimes when I would start my jeep up (no matter the weather) and get onto the road it would act like it was stalling out and no amount of pressing the gas pedal would liven it back up, then all of a sudden it would liven up like nothing happened. This has been going on for at least the last two years and I haven’t really worried about it. Then the other day I went out and as I was in 5th gear going about 70 it all of a sudden cut out, I quickly dropped it into neutral and pulled off. Then I put it back into gear to see if it would do anything and it acted like nothing happened and drove off normal. This continued to happen on the drive on the highway about 3 or 4 more times, but didn’t completely cut out, just for a second. Last night I cleaned my IAC valve, then today I was going to the store in it and was going down my driveway and it cut out and will not start back up. I have no idea what it could possibly be, except maybe fuel pump or something in fuel delivery but have no idea.

Welcome.

Couple of things to try.

Should test your fuel pressure and your fuel rail should have a schrader test port, factory should be 49 psi +/_ 5 psi

When your in a no start situation listen for the fuel pump to prime for about 2 seconds (by drivers rear wheel) while someone turns the key to run. Try several times.

If you hear it prime then turn the key to run several times (without cranking) then try and start. If it does most likely a pump issue.

Reactions: macleanflood