Engine light

brown_mule

TJ Enthusiast
Well, my engine light came on last night and I need a bit of help diagnosing the problem. When I turn the key to the on position the light blinks 10 times after staying on for about 15 seconds.

I saw a write up on here about how to get codes. Well I pushed the odometer button and turned the key to the on position this is what showed on the odometer.

597e60167d04c60806151aa55c36a4ee.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To get codes to read out on your odometer, turn ignition key on, off, on, off, and on. You should get a read out code on your odometer.
On my 97, I have to hold my odometer reset button in while turning the key, then the gauges and lights will sweep and light up, then the odometer will read out the stored codes. if there are no codes, code 55 will be on the odometer.
On my 04, I would just do the key on, off, on, off, and on, and the codes would show, and would show "done" if there were no stored codes.

To get codes to read out on your odometer, turn ignition key on, off, on, off, and on. You should get a read out code on your odometer.
On my 97, I have to hold my odometer reset button in while turning the key, then the gauges and lights will sweep and light up, then the odometer will read out the stored codes. if there are no codes, code 55 will be on the odometer.
On my 04, I would just do the key on, off, on, off, and on, and the codes would show, and would show "done" if there were no stored codes.

I tried both ways and pushing the odometer button then turning the key is what seemed to work.
The number 8 scrolled across then the others codes flashed on.

X2 to all of the above.

If you clear the CEL and it doesn't come back and there are no drivability issues, then it was just a glitch.

Happens from time to time on all vehicles.

Well, I took it to my local Auto parts store who checked it out and said an O2 sensor needed cleaning. I took it off, cleaned it with a wire brush then disconnected the negative battery cable for 10min. We will see how it goes.

Reactions: Chris and derekmac