Oregon Engine Mounts and 4.0 from Grand Cherokee

Rubinator

Hey guys, got a question from a buddy of mine, and I wasn’t sure if any of you knew or had a recommendation for him. I’m located in the Salem/Keizer area. Here’s what he asked, “My brother has this jeep and he blew the engine. The piston closest to the firewall exploded. He would like to put another straight six in it but the grand Cherokee we bought has the wrong motor mounts and we either need to fabricate mounts or get a different motor? Do you have any recommendations on a knowledgeable person with the facilities to be able to handle this task? If so please let me know its tragic to let that thing sit all broken. Or Nate was possibly thinking of selling the two jeeps? Please and thankyou. Hit me up if you think of anything.”

6B642CC0-3D9C-47D3-820B-E57B9810F290.jpeg

Dave at Jeep West can do it, as well as @Bonescc (Chris Sines). @pcoplin also might be able to do it if his new shop is done being built yet.

Dave is in Estacada, Chris Sines is in Oregon City, and @pcoplin is over in Mill City (not far from Salem).

Reactions: Rubinator
Did it seize, or just break the piston skirts?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for the late reply. It sounds like it broke more than just the piston. I haven’t heard much more about it, but it wasn’t sounding pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A broken piston skirt is common enough in the rear cylinder. It'll knock pretty good. May want to check before swapping in a whole new motor.

I've fixed mine with just a new piston and ring set, quick hone and install. But mine also only had 90k on it.

As far as the ZJ engine goes, I believe there's mounting differences between the TJ, and the XJ/ZJ. Better due your due diligence before buying something other than a TJ block.