Engine noise

JBell

I have a 04 tj 4 cyl. Can anyone help me figure out if it is supposed to sound like a sewing machine or is something worn out. It only has 82000 miles on it. Thanks

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It seems to be more noticeable. At higher speeds. But it generally does it all the time. Just the normal running of the motor on the highway sounds like a sewing machine. I figured lifters tapping. Oil pressure is good no lights on.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I've got the 2.5 liter, so not much help there. No lights and good oil pressure doesn't sound like anything catastrophic wrong. Get a chunk of tubing or a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can localize the noise. Lots of stuff will make noise under the hood if it's not happy. Distributors, belt tensioners, exhaust manifolds, air conditioning compressors. If the noise changes pitch or speeds up with increased engine RPM's, and the jeep is in neutral, focus on things attached to the engine. If it only happens when the Jeep is moving it may not be engine related.

Get under the car and listen all around the headers and exhaust. It sounds to me like that could be an exhaust leak.