Engine sputtering and misfiring

Commish

Good evening Jeep experts. Jeep rookie here. Was trying to find a thread that was close to my problem.
1998 TJ 4.0. 51k miles.
Was miss firing and throwing a misfire code, reset that code, continued with a new code misfire multiple cylinders.
Changed all plugs (they were original plugs) with platinum, new cap and rotor that was pretty bad. Did this midday. took it for a ride. Ran like a champ. Great acceleration etc.
Parked it for a day. My wife took to work the next morning. She said it was sputtering and terrible take off. when trying to pull out in to traffic. It got better after it warmed up. Took it home at lunch, left home did it all over again.

It didn't throw a code. Started fine, and at lunch, it would have been warmed up.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance for you help!

I need some help if possible. I’m new to the Jeep community. My father has had a few jeeps and I have always loved them. I decided it was my time and I bought a 2000 Jeep tj 2.5l. It has a rough country 4@ lift with 35s on it. I’ve been riding it around for the past few weeks in the city and it drives pretty well. Other than accelerating I have had no issues. I was driving on the highway today and the engine light started blinking while losing speed. I could not push the jeep past 2000 rpms. The engine was sputtering and the gas that comes out of the exhaust came out in bursts. (not sure if that’s helpful) The Jeep was also not responding very well when I tried to accelerate. I’ve read a few posts and some spurious but I wanted to know if anyone has had this issue. Anyone have any insight?

Last edited:
Cat may have blown, collecting in muffler restricting exhaust. Pull O2 sensors and take a look with a borescope. Or try dropping exhaust and see if she will breathe better.

Good evening Jeep experts. Jeep rookie here. Was trying to find a thread that was close to my problem.
1998 TJ 4.0. 51k miles.
Was miss firing and throwing a misfire code, reset that code, continued with a new code misfire multiple cylinders.
Changed all plugs (they were original plugs) with platinum, new cap and rotor that was pretty bad. Did this midday. took it for a ride. Ran like a champ. Great acceleration etc.
Parked it for a day. My wife took to work the next morning. She said it was sputtering and terrible take off. when trying to pull out in to traffic. It got better after it warmed up. Took it home at lunch, left home did it all over again.

It didn't throw a code. Started fine, and at lunch, it would have been warmed up.

Any help would be great.

Thank you in advance for you help!

Did you ever figure it out?