• No

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Needs better structure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ScubaLantz

Supporting Member
Hello all,

I have a 2003 TJ 4.0L Manuel Sport. The engine problems started around a year ago when my ECU died, or at least that was my first diagnosis. I got one through Oreilys from a pick and pull and plugged her in and she ran fine. However after the replacement, I had two new codes. P1689 and p1899. The corrective action was to replace the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensors. The codes didn’t clear but the engine still ran reliably, with the exception that as I take the clutch out, the engine would stall if I didn’t give it some gas.
Fast forward about 9 months and the engine is now stalling on me regardless of give it gas or speed. Found out that the computer was from an automatic engine. So I got a good computer in the mail from a good company that refurbished ECUs. This did not solve my problem how ever. So I took it to a different mechanic, who diagnosed it a a fuel purge valve seizing. Replaced it and said it ran great. After I drove for about 25 mins, the car stalled again as I came to a stop. I now have the P0320 code.
The engine sounds great and starts great if it sits for a while. But after I drive for about 25 mins, it stalls out and won’t start, the engine may turnover slightly, but won’t start up proper unless it sits. Not sure if this is unique but I don’t know what else it could be.

If they were not Mopar sensors, then I'd recommend changing them out again. These Jeeps do not usually like aftermarket sensors, and can perform poorly when they are used.

Reactions: ScubaLantz
  • SENSOR CRANKSHAFT, Crankshaft position sensor P/N 4727451AA
So I ordered this part on amazon. Going to replace it on Thursday and see if I have any luck.

First- the codes after the replacement ECU:
P1899 is for a park/neutral sensor fault. So since you have a manual and the ECU was looking for an automatic, makes sense that code would be thrown. New, correct ECU should fix that one.

Frankly the other one P1689 is beyond my knowledge level.

Have you verified fuel pressure? Your description sounds like a fuel issue to me.

Did anything change other than the two new codes after you put in the auto trans ECM?

When you say the engine will turn slightly after it stalls- do you mean it will crank at full speed but not attempt to fire? Small attempts to fire but doesn't actually run? Or it cranks over slowly, lags, and never even spins up to full cranking speed?

What was the exact issue that made you change the ECM in the first place?

Did you keep the original ECM?

From what you've said so far I'd second TJ2 and say fuel pump, but there's a lot more detail you could add that could help.

First- the codes after the replacement ECU:
P1899 is for a park/neutral sensor fault. So since you have a manual and the ECU was looking for an automatic, makes sense that code would be thrown. New, correct ECU should fix that one.

Frankly the other one P1689 is beyond my knowledge level.

Have you verified fuel pressure? Your description sounds like a fuel issue to me.

Did anything change other than the two new codes after you put in the auto trans ECM?

When you say the engine will turn slightly after it stalls- do you mean it will crank at full speed but not attempt to fire? Small attempts to fire but doesn't actually run? Or it cranks over slowly, lags, and never even spins up to full cranking speed?

What was the exact issue that made you change the ECM in the first place?

Did you keep the original ECM?

From what you've said so far I'd second TJ2 and say fuel pump, but there's a lot more detail you could add that could help.
I didn’t keep the old ecu, it through a code that said it failed.

After the car stalls out, it won’t start again and the starter sounds fine but as it attempts to start, it stops almost immediately, with no RPM increase.

The most recent trip to the MECH said that the fuel pump was fine, but did replace the fuel line purge valve. I am also not getting any codes for fuel issues.

How do you check fuel pressure? Is there a gage attachment rig or something?