Engine swap, what to do next?

Yendra Built

I have a 2004 2.4 4 Cylinder Automatic Wrangler with a bad engine.
I have a 2005 4.0 6 Cylinder 6 speed manual in a rolling chassis with most of the wiring harness.

Chrysler changed the wiring harness between 2004 and 2005
many things are not compatible.
Most wire colors are different for the same component.
The plug from the body to the under hood area is not compatible.
The ECM computers have different plugs.
I have the 2005 ECM and the under hood harness but the under hood fuse panel is smashed.

I thought that when I found the 2005 engine and transmission in a chassis I had it made. I have rebuilt the engine, its done. All I have to do now is make fuel air mix go in the cylinders and go bang.

Parts that are different from 2004 to 2005
Idle air control
Fuel pump
Injectors, and more..........

30 years in an automotive machine shop, I can rebuild most anything!!!! I actually am thinking of a carb and a distributor to fix this.
Computers suck, anybody have any idea what to do next. I have both service manuals. Anybody have any suggestions??????

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3
I was on my way to doing that but your not easily going to find a manual transmission for that. I looked at doing a 4.3 with a manual and that's when I found the 4.0 and the 6 speed on Craigslist.

I'm to far into this to quit now, I would rather rebuild ANYTHING MECHANICAL than touch that computer wiring. I know from experience that all that stuff runs on smoke and once it goes pop and let's the smoke out its junk...😤

I feel your pain. Some like the challenge of rewiring a car. I don't like to even replace plug wires. Back in the day I could rewire a truck in half a day. But now, with all this voodoo computer crap.....
Only problem is if you slap a carb on it the damn transmission won't know how to shift. And the brakes won't know how to close. Do you have a 10 year old? Those kids can fix computers and crap like that in no time. Best of luck.

What I need now is a 2004 wrangler 4.0 manual I can pull parts off of in the area of Fort Collins, CO.
I will need the ECM
Engine wiring harness
Various pieces off the engine.