What temperature does your Jeep run at?

No, it was from O'Reillys. Does it really make that much difference?

People lose their minds for OEM only parts on this board. Sensors especially. Given how cheap the part is to begin with, it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The song of "OEM only or it's trash" has been sung to death. It has some merit in some cases and I'm sure Mopar parts have a lower failure rate and better quality in many/most cases, but it's not like 90% of the el cheapo brand stuff doesn't work or breaks right out of the box like many people on here make it sound.

Just another case of some people preaching it, minions repeating it, and *POOF* internet "fact" is born.

People lose their minds for OEM only parts on this board. Sensors especially. Given how cheap the part is to begin with, it's worth a shot, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The song of "OEM only or it's trash" has been sung to death. It has some merit in some cases and I'm sure Mopar parts have a lower failure rate and better quality in many/most cases, but it's not like 90% of the el cheapo brand stuff doesn't work or breaks right out of the box like many people on here make it sound.

Just another case of some people preaching it, minions repeating it, and *POOF* internet "fact" is born.

Fact is also born when it is true, as most of the members have discovered on their own (including me) that the OEM sensors on Jeeps do make a difference. Try using Bosch O2 sensors, your Jeep will spit them out in no time, and there have been countless threads about bad or non functioning Crank, Cam,Oil press, Temp sensors, Tps and Iac controls on this forum alone. I did not tout OEM sensors until realizing it actually made a difference.

Last edited:
I am speaking from experience on both my TJ which I have owned and worked on for 20 years, and many other vehicles. There is nothing magical about Jeep parts. Please note that I didn't say there is no difference between Mopar brand parts and budget brand stuff. I said that the difference is frequently overstated on this board.

If it doesn't come with a bleed hole make sure you drill one. It's a 1/8" hole drilled near the top as it's mounted. There's a thread on it somewhere.
You could also buy the Stant 14209 which has the jiggle valve already in it. I've heard that people in a hurry prefer to drill a hole so I guess it doesn't really matter.

People lose their minds for OEM only parts on this board. Sensors especially.
Sensors especially are strongly recommended here since so many have problems with aftermarket sensors. Aftermarket sensors are a crapshoot, even good quality brands like Bosch O2 sensors are well known not to work well in our Wranglers.

When I couldn't get a Mopar oil pressure sender on a Sunday to fix my son's oil pressure gauge, I went to Autozone and picked one up. It took THREE oil pressure senders from Autozone that Sunday before I finally got one that worked properly.

Go ahead and say we're full of crap on that but few will agree with you on your claim. I didn't get this opinion until lots of bad luck with aftermarket ignition coils, radiators, starter motors, sensors, etc. I don't always use Mopar or the OEM brand but if it's a critical part yes I will.

Aftermarket sensors are a crapshoot, even good quality brands like Bosch O2 sensors are well known not to work well in our Wranglers.

There is nothing special about "our Wranglers" when it comes to OEM vs non-OEM parts. OEM parts likely have tighter quality controls compared to cheap imported budget brand parts, and that applies for our Wranglers the same as it does for imported Nissans or 50 year old Fords. I never said anybody was full of crap. What I did say was there is a tendency on this board to automatically blame the non-OEM part as the problem anytime it comes up, and that just isn't the case. I recommend and try to use Mopar parts myself for the most part.

How critical the part is has less to do with whether or not a non-OEM is worth the gamble than how it works. An enclosed thermister like the temp sensor in question is pretty simple with a relatively large production tolerance. A CPS however has a lot more going on requiring tighter quality controls and I'd be much more hesitant to go budget brand there, although I have and it was fine for years.

Your experience with the oil pressure sensors isn't invalid Jerry, but I'm also sure it's not the norm. The failure rate for the non-OEM parts is almost certainly higher, but not the 95% failure or inaccuracy rate people like to think it is. And it's no higher on our Jeeps than any other vehicle.

There is nothing special about "our Wranglers" when it comes to OEM vs non-OEM parts. OEM parts likely have tighter quality controls compared to cheap imported budget brand parts, and that applies for our Wranglers the same as it does for imported Nissans or 50 year old Fords. I never said anybody was full of crap. What I did say was there is a tendency on this board to automatically blame the non-OEM part as the problem anytime it comes up, and that just isn't the case. I recommend and try to use Mopar parts myself for the most part.

How critical the part is has less to do with whether or not a non-OEM is worth the gamble than how it works. An enclosed thermister like the temp sensor in question is pretty simple with a relatively large production tolerance. A CPS however has a lot more going on requiring tighter quality controls and I'd be much more hesitant to go budget brand there, although I have and it was fine for years.

Your experience with the oil pressure sensors isn't invalid Jerry, but I'm also sure it's not the norm. The failure rate for the non-OEM parts is almost certainly higher, but not the 95% failure or inaccuracy rate people like to think it is. And it's no higher on our Jeeps than any other vehicle.
You're definitely entitled to your opinion. Based on that I can only strongly suggest you stick with nothing but aftermarket sensors and parts. I just won't recommend that option to anyone else.

Reactions: TJ2 and TJ4Jim
Well, again, that's not what I said. I'll happily continue to use Mopar parts much of the time. But I will also not waste money throwing parts at problems as my first trouble shooting step just because it's not the OEM brand, and I'll continue advocating the same. If you somehow got your feelings hurt because you interpreted what I said as "OEM parts are a waste of money. Buy cheap crap!" you completely missed my point.

Well I did not intend to start an OEM vs. non- OEM feud. All I wanted was my engine to run cooler. I have some good tips to work with. 195 thermostat will be here tomorrow. At this point, I have replaced everything but the fan clutch and water pump. Fan clutch has good resistance when warm so we will see how the thermostat does. I might just get a water pump too. Not gonna tell you if OEM. 🤐 At 165k miles, this engine runs exceptionally well and I do not want to hurt it.

Well I did not intend to start an OEM vs. non- OEM feud. All I wanted was my engine to run cooler. I have some good tips to work with. 195 thermostat will be here tomorrow. At this point, I have replaced everything but the fan clutch and water pump. Fan clutch has good resistance when warm so we will see how the thermostat does. I might just get a water pump too. Not gonna tell you if OEM. 🤐 At 165k miles, this engine runs exceptionally well and I do not want to hurt it.

Hey, there is nothing wrong with using a Gates or an AC Delco water pump on a Jeep.

At this point, I have replaced everything but the fan clutch and water pump.
That means you are 100 bucks away from finishing the job. Your Jeep will not let you cut corners or save money. You may as well surrender and and go buy the clutch and pump. Why fight it? The only thing not new in my entire cooling system is the T-stat housing. I have been stunned and amazed that it has not melted down or exploded in defiance of my neglectful omission. Now, you might ask, what could possibly go wrong with a perfectly sound original equipment T-stat housing? I'll let you know when mine fails, it's demise is inevitable.

A cooler thermostat can actually make an engine run warmer in hot ambient conditions. The water actually needs time to cool in the radiator, if the thermostat stays open longer which is what a lower temp thermostat would do, it doesn't allow the water to stay in the radiator as long as a warmer thermostat and that can cause temps to creep up.
Installed a 195 thermostat and it has dropped the running temp by 10.

Well that is good news. I live in the middle east. Hotter than ball sweat. Lots of people and garages screw up their cooling systems with "improvements". I have seen as many as four electric fans (2 in the grill and 2 in the hood), plus every possible non-MOPAR radiator sold. No t-stats, 160° t-stats, etc. I have asked some who are original owners, did you have an overheating problem when the cooling system was stock and in good repair? Answer was always no. I have my system stock, with a MOPAR radiator and my sled runs to spec. Lots of people spend a lot of money to make it a lot worse. There are plenty of things to spend money on that are aftermarket and much better than OEM, just not the cooling system parts.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What tempature does your jeep run at? Mine gets up to 220. I have flushed the system, replaced the radiator (had a stripped drain plug), replaced the coolant, and replaced the thermostat with a 180. Does an external transmission cooler help with the tempature of the motor?

View attachment 180739

Mine gets really close to this when going up steep hills but doesn't run at this temp in normal conditions even when it's over 80 outside. Should I be concerned?