Engine vs. Motor

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've always referred to an ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) as an engine. However, I hear some people refer to an ICE as a motor.

I was under the impression that a motor was electric. Am I wrong, or is this just the liberal use of the word motor?

Okay, that's what I thought.

So why does everyone and their mother refer to it as a 'MML' or 'Motor Mount Lift' when it should really be called an EML?

I'm guessing that someone just started that once upon a time, and it spread like a rumor.

That's a good question Chris. Every auto manufacturer refers to their mounts as "motor mounts".
The Tesla has motor mounts. Other electric cars have motor mounts. All of the rest have engine mounts.

I know, it's one of those weird things I was thinking about tonight.

I guess motor mount just sounds better than engine mount, haha.

Glad I'm not the only one. I always want to correct people and say "EML" instead of "MML", but I guess that's just the lingo they we've come to know it by.

The way it was taught to me is that engines convert thermal energy into motion and motors convert other forms of energy into motion. Then I asked why do they call it a motor launch...the Chief teaching the class just got pissed and moved on.

Reactions: Chris
The way it was taught to me is that engines convert thermal energy into motion and motors convert other forms of energy into motion. Then I asked why do they call it a motor launch...the Chief teaching the class just got pissed and moved on.
Must be why everyone refers to Detroit as Engine City.

Reactions: StG58 and Stinger
"Get your engine running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure..." Yah, that doesn't work so well either. "Dude, you're such an engine head!" That sounds funny.

Sometimes, being technically precise with language is lame and makes you sound like a poser. Or is that poseur? Oh man, I crack myself up sometimes. (Everyone else just thinks I'm lame.)

It's an early morning after a late night.

Oh yeah... Those motorcars in England! You know, where they drive on the opposite side of the road :D

Reactions: Stinger
yeah the "my motor won't start" always gets me. I really want to say, well that's good because you want the motor (starter motor) to start the engine, not for it to start itself!!

Then you get to the drilling category. So you have drill bits and drill motors, the act you do with them combined is drill, as in drill a hole. But everybody reverts to calling the "drill motor" a drill.

Reactions: Chris
yeah the "my motor won't start" always gets me. I really want to say, well that's good because you want the motor (starter motor) to start the engine, not for it to start itself!!

Then you get to the drilling category. So you have drill bits and drill motors, the act you do with them combined is drill, as in drill a hole. But everybody reverts to calling the "drill motor" a drill.

Haha, didn't think about that one with the drill, makes perfect sense though!