Enough of the ugly JKs! Here’s a nice one to make their image not so bad for you:)

Nicholas

TJ Enthusiast
ad4ff29105c51e61a192064dbab5a44c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mind the 2 door ones when they are done up nicely. I definitely don't like them as much as the TJ by any stretch, but they don't look bad.

I will say however that the JL looks infinitely better than the JK, that's for sure. The JK feels like the bastard of the bunch.

I don't mind the 2 door ones when they are done up nicely. I definitely don't like them as much as the TJ by any stretch, but they don't look bad.

I will say however that the JL looks infinitely better than the JK, that's for sure. The JK feels like the bastard of the bunch.

So the JK becomes the modern era YJ? I like that idea!

Reactions: Nicholas
So the JK becomes the modern era YJ? I like that idea!

It would seem that way! I'm just saying... when I look at the TJ, the JK, and the JL, the JK seems like the questionable one.

The JL is too modern for my taste (at least as far as Jeeps go), but the it looks infinitely better than the JK in my opinion.

Yea, there's been a JK Rubicon Recon that was on display at a dealership on my route to work that I really loved the look of. It's probably one of the best stock JKs I've seen:

upload_2018-10-1_11-47-58.png

Yea, there's been a JK Rubicon Recon that was on display at a dealership on my route to work that I really loved the look of. It's probably one of the best stock JKs I've seen:

View attachment 57530

The Hard Rock package that comes on those Recon models makes them look a lot better. The bumpers and hood make a big difference! Still not as classy as a TJ, but not bad by any means!

View attachment 57520

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a lotta rubber on that JK. Looks decent though.

View attachment 57530
Nice! Someday....maybe... The Recons have upgraded axles under them. Still needs half doors though. Rare as hen's teeth.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
That's a lotta rubber on that JK. Looks decent though.

Nice! Someday....maybe... The Recons have upgraded axles under them. Still needs half doors though. Rare as hen's teeth.
Yea, I played around with the Jeep.com website to grab a pic of a Jeep like the one at that dealership and when I was messing with the customization options, I noticed that you can only get 2-doors on the regular Rubicon and not the Recon. Not sure if that was available on earlier models though. Still, I didn't even realize that JKs could have half doors until that.

Yea, I played around with the Jeep.com website to grab a pic of a Jeep like the one at that dealership and when I was messing with the customization options, I noticed that you can only get 2-doors on the regular Rubicon and not the Recon. Not sure if that was available on earlier models though. Still, I didn't even realize that JKs could have half doors until that.
Wife's JKU has half doors. Soft uppers. Pain in the ass here on the wet side, but worth it six months out of the year. The vast majority of JK's around here are Unlimiteds, with full doors and a hard top. Went shopping for sliders (unobtainium) and a spare set of soft uppers. Gave up after six months. Can't even get new skins. Oh well. Cross that bridge when I get to it, I guess.

MOPAR has the RECON axles for JK's and TJ's. Very expensive.

Reactions: Equilibrium31

Have you seen them up close? I think a JK looks way better. The soft top is horrible, the rear view looks like a gypsy carriage. grill and integrated lights look more car like than ever, and the whole front is swallowed in plastics way more than JK. I stopped by a dealer Sunday, and when I want to open the door, the handle feels incredibly cheap, like it'd break in a month from the kids yanking on it. I pulled on it downward and it made a bit of crack. I immediately stopped, yikes...

Have you seen them up close? I think a JK looks way better. The soft top is horrible, the rear view looks like a gypsy carriage. grill and integrated lights look more car like than ever, and the whole front is swallowed in plastics way more than JK. I stopped by a dealer Sunday, and when I want to open the door, the handle feels incredibly cheap, like it'd break in a month from the kids yanking on it. I pulled on it downward and it made a bit of crack. I immediately stopped, yikes...

Yes, I've seen them up close but I haven't actually sat in one or driven one. I'm just saying that as far as design goes, I think the JL looks considerably better than the JK.

I'd never own either of course, as the TJ is where my heart is.

I was commenting on that months back though about how both the JK and JL were overloaded with cheap plastic that might look okay when new, but give it a few years and it will look horrible.

Yes, I've seen them up close but I haven't actually sat in one or driven one. I'm just saying that as far as design goes, I think the JL looks considerably better than the JK.

I'd never own either of course, as the TJ is where my heart is.

I was commenting on that months back though about how both the JK and JL were overloaded with cheap plastic that might look okay when new, but give it a few years and it will look horrible.

This angle here, ugh.. The plastics are very flimsy too.
attachment.jpg

Pros and cons to all of 'em. I love the TJ's styling but honestly, it's got the cheapest plastics of 'em all. When I test drove a JK the other day, it was never more apparent. the interior and exterior feels like really good quality. I mean everything in the TJ's interior is plastic but it's flimsy ain't as good quality. Not just the plastic but the JK's doors and tailgate were solid and strong, doors probably not as fun removing, lol. All felt quality. I was bummed because I'm going back and forth on keeping my TJR, as you probably recall.

While the TJ is great looker, if I had plastic fenders and door handles they wouldn't be all rusted out, The one fender back in '15 bubbled up with rust, cost me $1350 to replace. Now it looks like new, but still.. My handles are real rusted, I'm changing them if I keep her.

Now the JL, as soon as I saw the soft top and felt the cheap handle, I was like, that ain't happening. Even my 12 yr. old daughter commented that the handle was junk. I'm sure the JL is most capable and best mpg etc... all have pros and cons.

For the folks in the West, you guys are lucky not having to deal with the rust from the salt/brine for 6 months of the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Artemis and Starrs