EQ's '06 TJ

Equilibrium31

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Here's what I got so far:
Jeep.jpg
Jeep July 18.jpg

Jeep with top.jpg

So, I've had my Jeep since about '07, but I've only recently started to really have fun with it. I've finally bought my first house and now have a garage, which means that I finally have some space for tools and can dig deeper in learning how to wrench. However, this also means that my budget is pretty tight, so future upgrades may be a bit few and far between. This is still my daily driver, but I've been hitting up some trails in the area recently and would like my Jeep to be more capable so that I can jump into more stuff with confidence.

For the most part, this ride is stock, but I've made my first steps towards upgrading it as an off-road rider by adding a new winch (Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR) along with new front and back bumpers (EAG). MN law requires a front bumper, but I found a mount that holds the license plate over the winch fairlead and can be flipped up when the winch is actually used. I also replaced the stock soft top with a Rampage Frameless one, since it wore out pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Great blank slate to start from! Just be careful and don't end up down the rabbit hole like I did... I seem to have started spending everyone else's money for them!

It's amazing you've had it since 2007! You must have bought it when it was almost brand new, huh?

Great blank slate to start from! Just be careful and don't end up down the rabbit hole like I did... I seem to have started spending everyone else's money for them!

It's amazing you've had it since 2007! You must have bought it when it was almost brand new, huh?
I actually bought it used, but it was close to new. At the time, I also had the option of going with the JK style since that had just came out, but I just never liked the looks of them. I still think that JKs resemble Hummers more than Jeeps, at least in the 4-door style.

I've started warming up to the new style of Jeeps in 2-door at least, but I still love the TJ the most and it's taken me quite a while to really appreciate them for what they are.

As for the rabbit hole...yea, I know that I'm dipping my toes into a very expensive hobby, but off-roading is something that my better half and I enjoy together, so I've at least gotten support on pursuing this (to an extent :risas3:). My father-in-law is also a hobbyist mechanic and has rebuilt a 72 Chevelle, so going down this road also gives us something to bond over.

I actually bought it used, but it was close to new. At the time, I also had the option of going with the JK style since that had just came out, but I just never liked the looks of them. I still think that JKs resemble Hummers more than Jeeps, at least in the 4-door style.

I've started warming up to the new style of Jeeps in 2-door at least, but I still love the TJ the most and it's taken me quite a while to really appreciate them for what they are.

As for the rabbit hole...yea, I know that I'm dipping my toes into a very expensive hobby, but off-roading is something that my better half and I enjoy together, so I've at least gotten support on pursuing this (to an extent :risas3:). My father-in-law is also a hobbyist mechanic and has rebuilt a 72 Chevelle, so going down this road also gives us something to bond over.

Yes, I don't mind the 2-door models of the newer Wranglers, as they can look good (still not as classic as a TJ though!), but the 4-door ones I just can't bring myself to like... I think a Wrangler was only meant to have 2-doors.

I don't really blame you! I can't imagine owning a TJ for all those years and not modifying it. Hell, I'm sure my wife would be happier if that was the case, haha. She's never really been off-roading with me though. Once the kids are a little older, I'll take her, and then she'll probably be on-board with it once she tries it!

Yes, I don't mind the 2-door models of the newer Wranglers, as they can look good (still not as classic as a TJ though!), but the 4-door ones I just can't bring myself to like... I think a Wrangler was only meant to have 2-doors.

I don't really blame you! I can't imagine owning a TJ for all those years and not modifying it. Hell, I'm sure my wife would be happier if that was the case, haha. She's never really been off-roading with me though. Once the kids are a little older, I'll take her, and then she'll probably be on-board with it once she tries it!
I've generally been a pretty big city-slicker and never really knew where to take my Jeep for any off-roading. I also never really knew anyone else who was into that kinda stuff (most of my friends were gamers or just casual acquaintances from work who knew nothing about cars). I also never really grew up in a family where anyone worked on their own car.

And for a long time, I assumed that since I just had a regular, standard edition Jeep with no mods that I wouldn't be able to do much off-road anyways. Sadly, it just took too long for me to realize that Jeeps are pretty damn capable, even when completely stock. It's also a shame that I didn't realize this when I still live in Colorado. I may have been a broke college student back then, but there seem to be a lot more good trails in that area than there are around here. Almost anything decent is still a 2.5 hour drive away.

I've generally been a pretty big city-slicker and never really knew where to take my Jeep for any off-roading. I also never really knew anyone else who was into that kinda stuff (most of my friends were gamers or just casual acquaintances from work who knew nothing about cars). I also never really grew up in a family where anyone worked on their own car.

And for a long time, I assumed that since I just had a regular, standard edition Jeep with no mods that I wouldn't be able to do much off-road anyways. Sadly, it just took too long for me to realize that Jeeps are pretty damn capable, even when completely stock. It's also a shame that I didn't realize this when I still live in Colorado. I may have been a broke college student back then, but there seem to be a lot more good trails in that area than there are around here. Almost anything decent is still a 2.5 hour drive away.

Colorado would have had a lot of nice places, that's for sure. I feel your pain though. Even where I'm at in Oregon, the nearest place to actually go wheeling is probably 2 hours away. There's forest service roads and lots of places to explore within 1 hour drive, but those aren't what I would call "wheeling", more of exploring so to speak.

But at least you figured it out that your Jeep can do a lot more than you think it can. My issue is that aside from not knowing a lot of people to wheel with, it's hard to do even if I did know anyone. Our kids are 2 and 5 (and my wife is pregnant with our third), and they simply won't be pleased sitting in the Jeep for hours on end while we drive to a spot, wheel, and then drive back. Once they're a bit older we can get away with it, but at this age, it's tough!

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Colorado would have had a lot of nice places, that's for sure. I feel your pain though. Even where I'm at in Oregon, the nearest place to actually go wheeling is probably 2 hours away. There's forest service roads and lots of places to explore within 1 hour drive, but those aren't what I would call "wheeling", more of exploring so to speak.

But at least you figured it out that your Jeep can do a lot more than you think it can. My issue is that aside from not knowing a lot of people to wheel with, it's hard to do even if I did know anyone. Our kids are 2 and 5 (and my wife is pregnant with our third), and they simply won't be pleased sitting in the Jeep for hours on end while we drive to a spot, wheel, and then drive back. Once they're a bit older we can get away with it, but at this age, it's tough!
Yea, it's just a matter of time until they start begging you for the keys to do some wheeling of their own!

Yea, it's just a matter of time until they start begging you for the keys to do some wheeling of their own!

Maybe by that time I can get them a cheap TJ and build one up for them to wheel with. I'd be happy to do that once they're the right age. That might be fun to have another TJ for them to go wheeling in with us when they're older.

Maybe by that time I can get them a cheap TJ and build one up for them to wheel with. I'd be happy to do that once they're the right age. That might be fun to have another TJ for them to go wheeling in with us when they're older.
Yea, you can definitely get into some good bonding with family when you have a good project together. It's always hard to tell what your kids will be into when they get older, especially when they hit their teenage years, but hopefully they'll appreciate having a dad that's willing to teach and work with them on something like that. =)

Yea, you can definitely get into some good bonding with family when you have a good project together. It's always hard to tell what your kids will be into when they get older, especially when they hit their teenage years, but hopefully they'll appreciate having a dad that's willing to teach and work with them on something like that. =)

By that time cars will probably be driving themselves and gas will be $7 a gallon, haha!

By that time cars will probably be driving themselves and gas will be $7 a gallon, haha!
Maybe, but I'm sure we'll figure out how to put in one of the new, fancy electric motors in a TJ by then!

And regardless of whether your kids get into cars, I'm sure they'll appreciate having a dad that can design web sites and forums for them and their friends. Even at a young age, they may want you to make a forum for their Minecraft friends (kids still play Minecraft, right?) and you've certainly shown your aptitude for making a top notch forum here.

Maybe, but I'm sure we'll figure out how to put in one of the new, fancy electric motors in a TJ by then!

And regardless of whether your kids get into cars, I'm sure they'll appreciate having a dad that can design web sites and forums for them and their friends. Even at a young age, they may want you to make a forum for their Minecraft friends (kids still play Minecraft, right?) and you've certainly shown your aptitude for making a top notch forum here.

Oh I agree. I'll keep my TJ running at any cost, that's a guarantee. Even it it meant swapping in an electric motor (which would actually be really cool if you could get it to have any sort of real range).

I'm going to start teaching our oldest (almost 6) how to work on cars soon. I tried at 5, but she just wasn't ready or focused enough to want to learn, but I think she's getting there.

Minecraft... I've got two nephews (boys) who are obsessed with it. I don't see what the fascination is really, but then again, I'm past the point in my life where I'd be into video games like I was when I was younger.

Anyhow, thanks for the remark about the forum. A good part of it though is the members. Seems like there's a great bunch of people who hang out here.

Reactions: Equilibrium31
Well, I still haven't done anything big and I probably won't until next Feb when I plan on adding a lift and 32s. However, I took on a cheap little budget project for now by adding a winch switch to the cab.

I saw that 12VoltGuy sells switch panels and had heard good things about them...but I really couldn't justify spending $55+ on them. I also found some good cheap switches at a local computer store. The safety switch shown below even has a red LED in the tip of the switch lever, so I didn't have to add in a separate LED light.

LightSwitch.gif

And here's what it looks like with decent lighting. Similar to other setups, the red switch allows the small black switch on the right to power the winch in and out.

Switches.jpg

However, the one thing I had trouble with at first was finding a good way to wire into my Superwinch solenoid. Most guides I saw involved something like a Warn winch and wired directly into it. However, since I wanted to still be able to use my wired remote with the winch, I decided to Frankenstein the wired remote with an extension cord and then use that as part of my setup:

Remote.jpg

I soldered the wires together, but the heat shrink tubing that I used on the outside didn't quite seal up very tight (probably since I used a lighter in lieu of a heat gun), so I went over it with electric tape. It's kinda sloppy work, but I may redo it later if it needs.

By mixing the remote with an extension cord, I can still use the remote by just connecting the extension plug to itself. However, I'll normally just have the male end of the extension cord (the wire with the female end of the remote) going directly to the wiring in my Jeep.

For the wiring in the Jeep itself, I just used another extension cord going through the firewall with the female end of the extension cord accessible just under the front of the Jeep.

Engine Wiring.jpg

Firewall Pass.jpg

Connection.jpg

Winch Front.jpg

And while I was at it, I went ahead and replaced one of the power outlets with some USB ports:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6S2SNM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Been a while since I updated this thread, but I also haven't done a whole lot either.

However, this weekend, I put one some decals that I ordered online. The link to the Etsy store that these came from is below, but I had to request the door decals custom since there weren't any TJ door decals. I think the person running the store may add some later though since she made the template in the process of creating these:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GraphicForest

I have some new wheels being shipped and when they arrive, I'll be getting some Duratrac 31"s to go with them. I also will be getting a 2" OME in the near future, but that will probably be added later on.

Last edited: