Error Codes P0172 & P0175

RenoMathMan

I have a 2006 Jeep LJ with a 4.0 L6 running a Banks Turbo. I am having problems with a P0172 and P0175. From the long lists of common problems that could create the error, Is there a known single characteristic that causes this problem? Where should I start

Being as though these codes mean that your engine is running too rich, the first place I would start is your turbo. I'm not sure what you are using for fuel management with your turbo, but obviously it can't be stock as you need more fuel to run a turbo. I'd start there and make sure you aren't running too much fuel (which you may be). You could have damaged your O2 sensors in that case, in which case you may need new ones to accurately read the right info.

Reactions: lowranger
I replaced the O2 sensors., and the problem still there. The code is showing up primarily on bank one so I have not sure it is the Turbo. The management is with a Diablo Sport with a tune written by Banks. I did reinstall the tune, but no help.

On the later 4.0L there is a split exhaust so there are 4 co sensors, and 2 cats, giving 2 banks bank 1 cyl 1 2 3, and bank 2 cyl 4 5 6. There are even a few 4 cylinder engines out there with 2 banks.

I’m interested in the Banks set up so am curious about your perception. I’ve had turbocharged cars in the past and did some road tuning as well but it’s been awhile. Have you gotten input from Banks on what is causing the rich condition? There are several tuning situations that will make it rich like cool outside temps, throttle in, fuel pressure, etc. Regarding the fuel pressure, did the pump get changed and do you have a regulator? Also, what is the pressure reading supposed to be?

We are still going through the process. We cant access the Banks tune as it is locked and this is a Chrysler product. The codes come back up after about 20 miles. We are looking into the fuel pressure.

We are still going through the process. We cant access the Banks tune as it is locked and this is a Chrysler product. The codes come back up after about 20 miles. We are looking into the fuel pressure.
The banks tune was put in how? The last time I looked into custom air/fuel maps for the 4.0 you had to have either a piggybacked programmer for the ecu or a stand alone ecu like Motec

Reactions: StG58
The banks tune was put in how? The last time I looked into custom air/fuel maps for the 4.0 you had to have either a piggybacked programmer for the ecu or a stand alone ecu like Motec

Exactly. There is no way to "tune" the ECU on these TJs unless it's a piggyback unit (i.e. Split Second) or a stand alone ECU such as Motec. No other way to do it to my knowledge.

I run the Split Second piggyback on my supercharged TJ. It's amazing how well it works with the 7th injector.

The problem is solved. Dustin at Street or Sand in Reno Nv., was able to get into the tune and reduce the Fuil trim From +30 to +15 and the code is gone. How the tune got that much gas is the question.

Reactions: jae
So it was an issue with the tune. So in other words, it was dumping too much fuel in?

I could definitely see how that would set off all sorts of check engine lights.

I have a 2006 Jeep LJ with a 4.0 L6 running a Banks Turbo. I am having problems with a P0172 and P0175. From the long lists of common problems that could create the error, Is there a known single characteristic that causes this problem? Where should I start
Still resolved? I know quite a bit of us are interested in how that Banks Turbo has been treating you long term :D.