ESP + ABS lights stuck "on". Any suggestions?

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
OK, so this is in reference to my wife's 2011 Jeep Liberty.

I was changing out her rear brakes and rotors yesterday, everything goes fine like normal but when i'm done, and take it for a test drive, upon starting up the vehicle the ESP and ABS lights in the cluster are illuminated and won't shut off.

I tried scouring the internet a bit and some people say if I did not open the bleed valve when compressing the brake piston, it would force something inward that would trigger the sensor.

I have no clue...and there was no info on what the solution was. Any ideas? Suggestions? Did I do something wrong by compressing the piston without opening the bleed valve? Has anyone encountered something like this before and have a solution?

OK, so this is in reference to my wife's 2011 Jeep Liberty.

I was changing out her rear brakes and rotors yesterday, everything goes fine like normal but when i'm done, and take it for a test drive, upon starting up the vehicle the ESP and ABS lights in the cluster are illuminated and won't shut off.

I tried scouring the internet a bit and some people say if I did not open the bleed valve when compressing the brake piston, it would force something inward that would trigger the sensor.

I have no clue...and there was no info on what the solution was. Any ideas? Suggestions? Did I do something wrong by compressing the piston without opening the bleed valve? Has anyone encountered something like this before and have a solution?

You're gonna have to dig up the exact procedure for doing the brake work. Some of them with ABS systems require a scanner to bleed the ABS pump and reset the ABS computer. I'm not familiar with the Liberty well enough to know.

Reactions: EJD
You're gonna have to dig up the exact procedure for doing the brake work. Some of them with ABS systems require a scanner to bleed the ABS pump and reset the ABS computer. I'm not familiar with the Liberty well enough to know.
Does that seem within the realm of possibility though of something that could trigger the ESP & ABS sensors?

I'll have to take it to the Jeep dealership. I probably won't be able to reset the sensors myself.
Thanks though, I do appreciate the insight.

Does that seem within the realm of possibility though of something that could trigger the ESP & ABS sensors?

I'll have to take it to the Jeep dealership. I probably won't be able to reset the sensors myself.
Thanks though, I do appreciate the insight.
I checked with my local Liberty expert today and he thinks you have a sensor issue either in the sensor or the wiring to it.

Reactions: EJD and Chris
Diconnect the - battery cable for about 10 minutes reconnect it and see if lights go out.
Actually replaced the battery today so the Liberty was about an hour without the battery installed, when I installed the new battery, the lights were still on. Good thought though!

I checked with my local Liberty expert today and he thinks you have a sensor issue either in the sensor or the wiring to it.
Thanks man, I appreciate the ask! Its just so weird how a sensor can be fine one minute and be bad the very next...do you suggest dealership? or DIY?