Essential Trail Gear / Tools / Spare Parts

Ive gotten a bit more relaxed with my gear. Standard tool set with an impact. a small box with a ujoint or two, couple ratchet straps and tree strap. Then a cooler with water and snacks

Can you hit me with the TJ specific list? I just bought a 36mm and a couple 13mm 12-point sockets.

My list is likely lighter than many. There are already a couple of trail tool list threads on here that are very specific that will be more helpful.

I carry the most common metric sockets & combos, flexible & solid extensions & wobblies, a multi-tip screw driver set, 8" adjustable wrench, channel locks, needle nose pliers, needle nose & regular vise grips.

Last edited:
I go deep into the Alaska backcountry, so my gear is heavier than most. I also do not trailer, so I try to make sure I can drive home.

The #1 thing to bring is a buddy. I do not wheel alone.

Gear:
Winch controller
Snatch block
Tree saver
Kinetic rope
30'x2" strap (for anchoring the rear end to a tree or land anchor if I'm winching someone else out of the mud)
Don't have it now but a 85-100' winch extension is on the list
Soft shackles x2
D-rings x2 (will replace with more soft shackles at some point)
Hi-lift
Scissor jack
Small collapsible shovel
Air hoses for tire inflation and deflation (plus onboard ARB compressor)
Jumper cables
Handheld GMRS x2
Ratchet straps
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Bear protection (usually 10mm)
Land anchor (sometimes)
Brush clearer (sometimes)

Tools:
Socket set including 36mm, extensions, ratchet wrenches, box wrenches
Pry bar, 3lb hammer
Needlenose, channel locks, vice grips, standard pliers, screwdrivers
Ball joint press (for ujoints)
Big adjustable wrench (jam nuts on control arms and track bars)
Valve core tool w/ extra cores
I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but I have an extensive trail toolbox

Parts:
Fluids- brake, coolant, power steering, engine oil
Both front axle shafts with ujoints installed
Driveshaft ujoints
Belt
Unit bearing hub
Wire & fuses (need to get a relay or two)
JB Weld
Valve stems
Zip ties
Control arm bolts & nuts (lost one last year and had to use a 3/8" extension as a bolt, never again. Upgraded to nyloc nuts)
Need to get bailing wire
I don't carry them now but I may start carrying a set of ball joints
I have TSL SX2s and a spare so I'm not worried about punctures/sidewall tears, but I need to get a plug repair kit for others

I have the glue tread and I tried to use it once. The slice was at the same location as a slightly raised letter on the sidewall and the sandpaper that they provide is good enough to scuff up the tire but not remove enough material to sand down a letter or anything that may be sticking out. Without having a flat surface it does not seal good. For me it did slow the leak down and allow me to get back to the parking lot with adding air every mile or so. I have had much better luck with just using multiple tire plugs. It would probably work if the slice was in a location where there was no raised letters, etc...

I did start carrying my cordless drill and a tire grinding head so that I could use that to make a flat surface in the future. I may purchase these slugs and throw them in the box. Also, not sure if it was mentioned somewhere, but Colby Valves are also a must have with you on the trail. I ripped off a valve stem during my last outing and within 5 minutes had colby valve installed and aired up.

Any new thoughts on glue tread?

Any new thoughts on glue tread?

I used it where there was a raised letter. I had the advantage of being at home, so I was easily able to sand down the letter to make it flush with the tire face. This was more preventative than corrective since it was not leaking air but I was leaving for Moab.

IMG_9647.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9653.jpeg

IMG_9657.jpeg

I have thoughts, just not sure which thought to go with.

I just remembered that I had the slugs in my bag, should have tried one when we were there. Got to remember what I have!

I did just buy some more glue for the glue tread, figured there is no sense in having everything but the glue.

• Haha
Reactions: Apparition
You do have to sand down the edges, as in bevel them, or the thick patch can and probably will catch on a rock and pull away partially from the sidewall.

I didn’t use the fast activator since I was at home, but I’d use it in the trail. Make sure and use enough glue. They warn against overusing the glue, but my experience says make sure there is plenty.