Estimate springs for use on coil-overs

Edit - before you (Sab) gets too upset, a good bit of the "you" usage above is generic.

I'm not at all upset. I find this forum to be one of the most informative forums I've ever come across. I'm one year into my solid-axle off-road experience with my LJ, and I've come up to speed very quickly almost entirely due to this forum. I appreciate everyone here, and I just want to contribute and participate!

I also think I figured out how this thread went sideways for me. I usually view new posts, and in doing so, I don't usually notice which forum the posts are in. I ASSumed this was in GD, but just realized it's in the How To forum. Moving forward, I'll pay more attention. Obviously, the GD section is more suited for wandering discussions. @mrblaine, I apologize for derailing your How To post, and to everyone else, the same apology.

On a related note, I do have some questions related to coil-overs, but I'll start a new post (later today - gotta get to work now).

I'm not at all upset. I find this forum to be one of the most informative forums I've ever come across. I'm one year into my solid-axle off-road experience with my LJ, and I've come up to speed very quickly almost entirely due to this forum. I appreciate everyone here, and I just want to contribute and participate!

I also think I figured out how this thread went sideways for me. I usually view new posts, and in doing so, I don't usually notice which forum the posts are in. I ASSumed this was in GD, but just realized it's in the How To forum. Moving forward, I'll pay more attention. Obviously, the GD section is more suited for wandering discussions. @mrblaine, I apologize for derailing your How To post, and to everyone else, the same apology.

On a related note, I do have some questions related to coil-overs, but I'll start a new post (later today - gotta get to work now).

The post has two intended results. The first is to help folks with an easy way to get springs under their rig and slow down the amount of excess springs purchased. Lot of places will trade springs with you if they are not scratched up, but they are hard to keep in pristine condition.

The second reason is to help folks understand what a spring does so that just maybe they will quit trying to define ride quality via spring selection.

Once you follow the general rules of thumb-
Don't let them fall out of the bucket.
Support the rig at designed ride height.
Small amount of preload on the stack.
Upper and lower within a reasonable range from each other.

Then it becomes obvious that there is a very narrow range of springs that will follow those rules.

It should be noted that most shocks have cross over nuts above the dual spring cup between the upper and lower springs.

If you go to the manufacturers website and get the spring specs, they give a block height for each spring. This is one from Eibach selected at random. The crossover nuts above the spring cup should be set slightly more from the top lock nuts than the upper spring block height to prevent coil bind.
1656076745368.png

Last edited: