Ethel - Budget Restoration

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I was gonna name her "Black Betty" for my favorite Led Zeppelin song. But "Ethel" was my Native American Grandmother. The sweetest person in the entire world to me. So I went with Ethel.

Started out as a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0 6 cyl, 32rh auto trans, 140k, old Bestop soft top, half doors and sun baked fender flares. Old rims and tires. And lots of undercarriage parts needing to be replaced.

20181216_155005.jpg

20181216_155016.jpg

20181216_155032.jpg

20181216_155044.jpg

I dropped a grand on new undercarriage parts. I don't recall the entire list. But it included new control arms. And Rancho 5000x shocks. I also upgraded the tires and wheels to JK Moab take offs. JK Moab 5 spoke rims and new Goodyear Wrangler street tires.

20190102_181632 (1).jpg

You can see the Rancho shocks above. Wish I had painted them black though.

Then I upgraded to full doors and newer 03-06 seats. And Misch big boy seat brackets. For 4 more inches of space sliding the seats back. Got a Rampage Khaki soft top installed finally. Took a long time to realize I did not have the oem soft top frame for this soft top. But it's finally on. Also had to wait for a hot day. Doing it in the winter proved to be foolhardy.

20190412_162813.jpg

20190412_162825.jpg

I tried using Forever Black plastic dye on the flares. Didn't work. Just flaking off. Planning on removing the flares Monday. Stripping and painting them. And replacing them Tuesday. Using SEM plastic adhesion promoter. And SEM black trim paint. Also removing the old 80's side steps.

Have a Smittybilt rear bumper with tire carrier to go on. With a Smittybilt front tube frame bumper. And then hopefully some newer sidesteps. Then some Patagonia MT tires. Have sound deadener for entire tub and new ACC carpet. New LEDS for all the interior and exterior lights. Eventually would like to have an OME 2" lift.

Also sewed a new leather cover on my steering wheel.

20181229_131332.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got around to painting the fender flares. The biggest flaw in my Jeep at the moment. They look hideous. They started out that way. All of them were sun faded to the point they were grey/blue. I tried using a plastic dye called Forever Black that had done wonders on every other vehicle I've tried it on. But it does not like Jeep fender flares. The stuff never soaked into the plastic. And just flaked off all over the surface. Making them look like a bad antique-ing job!

@06TJ35's was nice enough to help me out. As my 3 back surgeries hold me back in repairs that require alot of back bending.

We got the flares off on a monday. And I immediately hit them with dawn soap and water, grey automotive scotch brite pads and water. Luckily the plastic dye came right off. I then hit them with adhesion promoter.

20190701_170435.jpg

I then put 3 to 4 coats of SEM trim black on each flare. This is at a couple coats. Only took one can to do all 6 flares. Biggest advice here is to replacement nozzles for your spray paint cans. The stock nozzles suck. And the replacements (normally used for art) send the spray in a more even flow. And lays more paint on the thing your painting. So you use less paint as well. They also have adjustable fan tips. Just like the ones on the SEM paint cans. But for whatever reason the aftermarket ones are way better.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=253074790739
Here they are after a couple coats:

20190702_114701.jpg

They turned out GREAT! More pics of them on the Jeep tomorrow.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
So I got the ugly ass flares painted. And the 80's fat side steps removed. Before and after pics below.

I used less than one can of SEM adhesion promoter and one can of SEM trim black. I prepped them with Dawn, then hit them with grey automotive scotch brite pads and water to get the black dye I tried to use on them off. Then wiped them down with acetone. One coat of adhesion promoter. And 3 to 4 light coats of the SEM trim black. They turned out beautiful. And being in Socal none of the fittings or nutserts were a problem. Not a single spinning bolt.

I'm so happy to have these done. This was the one major thing bothering me about the Jeep since day one. Those blue/grey sun bleached flares just made the whole Jeep look like crap imho. Very happy to have it done.

Next up is to replace or repaint the front and rear bumpers. I have a tubular rear bumper with spare tire carrier. But not the matching front tubular bumper yet. If I had both I would just remove the stock bumpers and put the new ones on. But in the meantime I may just paint the old ones. Until I can get the new front bumper.

It's pretty amazing how it's turning out. It was an ugly dog when I started. Sun bleached. And outfitted with so many worn out parts. And sun bleached top, flares and exterior. I think the three best upgrades were - full doors, late model 03-06 seats, and the new Rampage soft top in Khaki.

Next I think will be new led's inside and out. New sound deadener on the tub. And new ACC carpet in black. New Truck Lite knock off LED headlights. All of which I have ready to install. Oh. And I need a new clock spring. Airbags and horn are out at the moment. I'd also like to replace the Smittybilt roll bar covers and padding with OEM covers and padding. This Jeep was left out in the sun a fair amount and they are faded. Not to mention the Smittybilt padding is worthless.

Eventually I want to put Patagonia MT tires on it. I think that will really make it look like an offroad vehicle alot more than it does now. But I think I might wait until I can afford a OME 2" lift. So I can get slightly bigger tires than stock.

The full doors are a little rough. I think I'll eventually have them touched up and then have the entire Jeeps paint color corrected (buffed out).

Before all of my improvements to date:

20181216_155005.jpg

After:

20190706_120658.jpg

20190706_120636.jpg

20190706_120643.jpg

20190706_120648.jpg

20190706_120706.jpg

20190706_120711.jpg

20190706_120716.jpg

20190706_120726.jpg

Last edited:
If you didn't know any better, you'd think those flares were brand new!

Nicely done!

Thanks man! I think it was the aftermarket spray nozzles and keeping the can 12"+ from the flares. If you get it up high enough off the surface it sprays a nice broad coat that's even. If you get to close you get wet spots and runs. I've painted a lot of crap with spray paint. And am pretty good at it. But if you follow simple instructions it will turn out nice. Long sweeping strokes and keeping the can away from your part will usually give you good results.

So glad there finally painted. Now my bumpers look terrible and stick out. lol. Time to either replace them or spray them. :)

Reactions: Chris
Thanks man! I think it was the aftermarket spray nozzles and keeping the can 12"+ from the flares. If you get it up high enough off the surface it sprays a nice broad coat that's even. If you get to close you get wet spots and runs. I've painted a lot of crap with spray paint. And am pretty good at it. But if you follow simple instructions it will turn out nice. Long sweeping strokes and keeping the can away from your part will usually give you good results.

So glad there finally painted. Now my bumpers look terrible and stick out. lol. Time to either replace them or spray them. :)

I hear you! I'm a master of the spray can, seriously. When you buy a good quality paint though like SEM, it really helps.

Either way, you're right, now you just need to do the bumpers :LOL:

Could just have them done with a fresh powder coat too, I don't think it would be that much, as I've had so much stuff powder coated it's insane.

I hear you! I'm a master of the spray can, seriously. When you buy a good quality paint though like SEM, it really helps.

Either way, you're right, now you just need to do the bumpers :LOL:

Could just have them done with a fresh powder coat too, I don't think it would be that much, as I've had so much stuff powder coated it's insane.

Since I'm most likely going to replace the bumpers with tubular ones. I'll probably just paint the stock bumpers.

Reactions: Chris
Since I'm most likely going to replace the bumpers with tubular ones. I'll probably just paint the stock bumpers.
I had good luck with Rustoleum Black textured paint on my Dirtworx bumpers. Unless you plan to use the SEM you have left over...you should hit the rear bumper milk jugs, gas fill bezel, front sway bar cover, and license plate mount with the SEM trim black while you're at it - those can get pretty faded.

BTW, the TJ looks great after all your work!

Last edited:
I had good luck with Rustoleum Black textured paint on my Dirtworx bumpers. Unless you plan to use the SEM you have left over...you should hit the rear bumper milk jugs, gas fill bezel, front sway bar cover, and license plate mount with the SEM trim black while you're at it - those can get pretty faded.

BTW, the TJ looks great after all your work!

Yes. That's next up. Will make it look even better. This Jeep got left out in the socal sun alot. Most of my restoration has been dealing with sun damage.

Any particular reason you plan on tubular bumpers? Just curious.

1) Solely for the purposes of avoiding body damage in a slow collision. 2) I think when they're all on it looks cool on my black Jeep.

It takes so little to total a car these days. We've had 2 in the last three years. With seemingly minor damage. The tubular bumpers are cheap. Easy to replace. And will crumple in a collision. The bumper isn't even labeled a bumper. It's labeled a brush guard. Which is fine. As I basically wanted something cheap and that would bend before bending the frame. And maybe protect some sheet metal too. Replacing a cheap bumper is one thing. Trying to find a new used TJ (cause yours got totalled in a minor collision) over the span of a couple months is a whole other animal.

I spent so much time and energy finding used cars this last few years. After minor collisions. The cheap tubular bumpers and side steps is just a bit of insurance against having to go thru that again. Not to mention all the work I've put into this Jeep. It's irreplaceable.

I also like how they look. I find the big square sheet metal ones to be an eyesore on my Jeep. And the tubular ones to be more attractive. But again, my number one reason is to avoid damage to the actual Jeep. LA traffic here is brutal. Bumper to bumper for multiple hours in any one direction. And a front end/rear end collision is very common. A big tubular bumper sticking out the front is a great way to mangle a cheap bumper. But reduce the amount of sheet metal and possible frame damage.

Plus I was able to pick up a rear tubular bumper with spare tire carrier for a hundred bucks. And the front matching bumper is $200 new. (Although I've been looking for used too.) Cheap side steps are about $170. SO for a fairly cheap price I've got some body armor on my Jeep. Not to protect it during off road excursions. Simply to protect it in slow moving traffic. It may also help pushing brush out of the way. But that's just an added bonus.

Lastly, if I leave the Jeep stock. The only thing in front of the frame on the front is the flimsy sheet metal stock bumper. After that it's bent frame or damaged front grill and fenders. Radiator and who knows what else. Someone could back into me and cause enough damage to total it easily.

1) Solely for the purposes of avoiding body damage in a slow collision. 2) I think when they're all on it looks cool on my black Jeep.

It takes so little to total a car these days. We've had 2 in the last three years. With seemingly minor damage. The tubular bumpers are cheap. Easy to replace. And will crumple in a collision. The bumper isn't even labeled a bumper. It's labeled a brush guard. Which is fine. As I basically wanted something cheap and that would bend before bending the frame. And maybe protect some sheet metal too. Replacing a cheap bumper is one thing. Trying to find a new used TJ (cause yours got totalled in a minor collision) over the span of a couple months is a whole other animal.

I spent so much time and energy finding used cars this last few years. After minor collisions. The cheap tubular bumpers and side steps is just a bit of insurance against having to go thru that again. Not to mention all the work I've put into this Jeep. It's irreplaceable.

I also like how they look. I find the big square sheet metal ones to be an eyesore on my Jeep. And the tubular ones to be more attractive. But again, my number one reason is to avoid damage to the actual Jeep. LA traffic here is brutal. Bumper to bumper for multiple hours in any one direction. And a front end/rear end collision is very common. A big tubular bumper sticking out the front is a great way to mangle a cheap bumper. But reduce the amount of sheet metal and possible frame damage.

Plus I was able to pick up a rear tubular bumper with spare tire carrier for a hundred bucks. And the front matching bumper is $200 new. (Although I've been looking for used too.) Cheap side steps are about $170. SO for a fairly cheap price I've got some body armor on my Jeep. Not to protect it during off road excursions. Simply to protect it in slow moving traffic. It may also help pushing brush out of the way. But that's just an added bonus.

Lastly, if I leave the Jeep stock. The only thing in front of the frame on the front is the flimsy sheet metal stock bumper. After that it's bent frame or damaged front grill and fenders. Radiator and who knows what else. Someone could back into me and cause enough damage to total it easily.
I get all you're saying. My only concern is with the rear bumper. The inexpensive rear bumpers with swing-out tire carriers are known to be bottom-of-the-barrel quality as far as a tire carrier. Whatever works for you, though.

I get all you're saying. My only concern is with the rear bumper. The inexpensive rear bumpers with swing-out tire carriers are known to be bottom-of-the-barrel quality as far as a tire carrier. Whatever works for you, though.

I agree with you on that assessment. And if it gets to wonky I'll replace it with something better as I can afford it. Probably Dirtworx.

Remember this is a "budget" build. I'm using the best parts where I can. But some areas like this one I just want to get something on there to protect it as soon as I can. I can always get my money out of these cheap tubular bumpers if I upgrade. And as you can see I have a laundry list of other items this Jeep needs. That I have to budget for as I go along.

If I had an extra $750 to throw just into bumpers. I'd highly consider the Dirtworx options. And hopefully someday I will. But right now things like tires, sound deadening, carpet, led headlights, interior and exterior leds etc. are on the top of my to do list. And things I've already purchased. But have not gotten around to installing yet.

I spent a good portion of money on those parts. SO I'm in a bit of a slow down financially. As I have plenty of upgrades and improvements to perform. And will have to wait for more expenditures. But if I found a used set of Dirtworx bumpers I'd be all over that. ;)

So I have a new strategy. It's called poco loco. Taking it easy. Instead of trying to cram every repair or upgrade into a single evening or weekend day. I've taken to doing single small things one at a time. If I can't finish it in an hour or two. I just wait until the next day.

So today I removed and painted my gas cap ring, license plate holder in the rear and the Jeep cover thing above the front bumper. Hit them with Dawn, acetone and SEM adhesion promoter. This time I actually followed the directions. 15-30 minute dry time for the adhesion promoter. You have to paint within that 15-30 minute window. Then I hit them with three light coats of SEM trim black. 5 Minutes apart.

I think they turned out pretty good. They don't look as good against my faded paint. But once I get it buffed out the whole thing will look very good. I don't know what those white marks are in the pics. But those aren't really there on the license plate holder. Just from lighting I guess. But they looked like complete faded sh*t before. lol.

Bumpers are next. But I need to do those during the day on a day off. And get my compressor going.

20190713_173703.jpg

20190713_173721.jpg

I was gonna name her "Black Betty" for my favorite Led Zeppelin song.
Okay, I gotta ask: Where have you ever heard Led Zep do a version of "Black Betty"? I've never heard it done by them. Lead Belly is associated with the song, and Ram Jam did the version that everyone knows. Led Zep did "Black Dog". Is that what you meant? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just genuinely curious to know if you are aware of a Led Zeppelin version of "Black Betty", as I am a Zeppelin fan, myself.
Thanks,
Squatch

Reactions: matkal and Mike_H
Okay, I gotta ask: Where have you ever heard Led Zep do a version of "Black Betty"? I've never heard it done by them. Lead Belly is associated with the song, and Ram Jam did the version that everyone knows. Led Zep did "Black Dog". Is that what you meant? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just genuinely curious to know if you are aware of a Led Zeppelin version of "Black Betty", as I am a Zeppelin fan, myself.
Thanks,
Squatch

I meant the reference to "Black Betty" from the Led Zep version of "Black Dog". It's been a few years. My father had it on an album. And I used to listen to it all the time. Was one of my favorite songs growing up. :)