Ethel - Budget Restoration

It looks like all the OEM STYLE are Shatter Resistant ABS Construction

I want to do metal because I am in utah and face mostly rocks.
Gotcha. I thought u meant there were oem metal flares offered on stock tjs. Had never heard of that. I have considered metal flares before. But ya. I like the stock look.

Gotcha. I thought u meant there were oem metal flares offered on stock tjs. Had never heard of that. I have considered metal flares before. But ya. I like the stock look.
I was typing faster than my brain. I have seen some Metal rear flares that look similar to OEM, but on your jeep the OEM style ones would look best. I like the flares a bit skinnier than OEM, but not sure they would fit with your tires.

Great job on your restoration. I am working on getting mine all completed. I should document it better.

I was typing faster than my brain. I have seen some Metal rear flares that look similar to OEM, but on your jeep the OEM style ones would look best. I like the flares a bit skinnier than OEM, but not sure they would fit with your tires.

Great job on your restoration. I am working on getting mine all completed. I should document it better.
You have a nice looking black tj too. I like the black on black. I considered that heavily.

You have a nice looking black tj too. I like the black on black. I considered that heavily.
My wife wanted a OEM stock TJ to put around in.. So I bought one with a 4" lift and 35"s... hahaha We took it up a canyon in utah over the weekend and she loved it. Glad I took the risk.

Reactions: Moab
I recently went with paramount auto flat flares and am pretty happy for $179. Good look and provides me more clearance.

Do those come thinner? Tjey look great on your jeep. My tires arent big enough.
A tad bit sleeker

2ED0AF8D-098F-43A3-9440-CD27CF5161BC.jpeg

0D24BCF0-47CD-499D-BCF5-B2D7D2FFF174.jpeg

So I finally got some help laying down sound deadener, heat shield and new carpet. As well as new 03-06 roll bar padding and covers.

HUGE thanks to (Brian) 06TJ35's !!! If you ever need work done on your Jeep in Socal. Give Brian a call. He's a great guy. And charges very reasonable rates.

We started with a layer of Second Skin sound deadener. https://www.secondskinaudio.com/ It comes in fairly large sheets. And didn't take as long as I thought it would. Second Skin is a direct competitor to Dynamat. Is as good if not better. And costs about half the price. Noice on Amazon is good stuff too. And even cheaper. Although I think it comes in smaller sheets. The larger sheets were definitely easy to work with.

View attachment 168177

Next we laid down heat shield. Which I thought was going to be hard to work with. But between the two of us - one cutting and one spraying adhesive and laying it down with the rollers. It conformed to every angle. And was easy to deal with. So glad I added this layer. It covers the entire bottom to block heat from the drive train and exhaust. I didn't bother with it on the wheel wells. Just the bottom. But look how nice it laid down. It reflects 97% of radient heat. They also give you aluminum tape to tape up the seams. Turns out really nice imho. www.carinsulation.com We'll see how well it performs this summer in the Socal heat.

View attachment 168172

View attachment 168173

Next was the ACC Essex carpet. It's the thickest pile you can get in a Jeep. And only costs around $250 or less. It's more of a luxury carpet. It's not something you'd put down if you wanted to hose your Jeep out say. Or you go mud bogging or stream crossings. It does come out. And could be sprayed down though. But with the sound deadener down. I don't think I'll be spraying my Jeep out.

It was a bit of a bitch getting the seats to re bolt down. With the sound deadener, heat shield and thick pile carpet. Brian had a heck of time with my Misch Big Boy brackets. But he eventually got it all tucked under and in it's right place. This is why I had Brian helping me. Or doing most of the work I should say. My back couldn't handle it.

View attachment 168174

View attachment 168176

This was a test fit to see how far we could go with the sound deadener and heat shield. You can also see my old faded roll bar covers. I replaced those below.

View attachment 168181

Next up was new roll bar padding and covers off an 03-06. It will fit a 97-02. But it does take some modifying of the styrofoam padding. Specifically where the front seat belts tie into the roll bar. You have to cut some foam away there so the brackets and covers will fit. Also you have to trim off about a third of the foam on the upper middle cross member on the roll cage. In order for the soundbar to fit far enough forward that the holes match up.

View attachment 168175

It took the better part of two days. Maybe 7 hours per day. To get it done. Again, that's with Brian doing the bulk of the work. I helped out with the heat shield, roll bar covers and a couple annoying things that came up. Like I removed the drivers side kick panel. The carpet was just not meant to go over it or under it. Removed it fits fairly nice. I did not adhere the carpet in any way. But I may use some spray adhesive like I used on the heat shield in the future. I figured I'd give the carpet time to settle in and shape to the contours of the pan etc. etc. See how it's fitting after a while. And then deal with any places that I think need better fitment.

I did run into a problem that I should have foreseen. The security trunk doesn't fit with all the layers under it. The side bolt holes don't match up anymore. It's basically a metal box that sits in front of the tail gate. When the taiIgate closes it creates a security lock trunk that can't be gotten into without unlocking the tailgate. I may have to remove the carpet under it. So that it will bolt up again. IDK. If I did that I would be certainly committing to the security trunk. Cause it would look like shit if I ever took it out. The carpet isn't tacked down back there. So I thought I might just remove a half inch cut along the lines of the bottom of the security box. Then it will seat further down. And hopefully get the bolt holes to line up again.

Now that my carpet and roll bar covers are all spanky new. I want to get some of those Caltrend seat covers. My front seats are not stock. They are 03-06 and this is of course a '99. Rear seat is original just not from my Jeep. But they don't match. And the fronts are sun damaged and smell like old man. I'm hoping if I clean them one more time and cover them with seat covers. They won't smell so bad.

The original carpet was disgusting. Old faded and seriously stained by god knows what. I think alot of the stink might be coming from there too. So hopefully this upgrade will not only make the interior sound and look better. But smell better too. lol.

I've currently got the soft top sitting in the sun. As soon as it heats up I'll put it back on. And take it for a test drive. I think the sound deadening is going to be substantial. And I can't wait to take the top back off. And drive it with it down. My new carpet and roll bar covers look great. As opposed to the icky, sun faded, dirty crap I had in there.

Again, thanks to Brian! He's been a huge help to me on my Jeep build. With my back surgeries he's made it possible to upgrade my Jeep in ways I could not have alone. Give him a ring if you need help with anything. He just graduated from mechanics school. He's done everything from a tune up on my Jeep, to brakes, to all these interior issues. For a very reasonable rate. And he's a kick ass dude to boot. :) I can't thank him enough.

EDIT - Looking back on my original pics of this Jeep. I can't believe how far it's come. lol. If only my paint looked as good as in my avatar. It looks good from 20ft away once it's washed. But it really needs a color correction/buff job. And some touch up. I will probably never get it repainted. But it would be nice to have it touched up and color corrected.

This came out awesome and thanks for sharing this build. I am looking to do the same or similar flooring upgrade on my rig. Quick question if you don't mind...

I saw on Rock Auto there are two options with Essex carpet (with and without Mass Backing). I am assuming you did your build without Mass Backing, right?

I am wondering if I did the mass backing if I could skip the sound dampening layer possibly. From the description of the mass backing it appears it could be good at sound dampening as it is a rubber composite, but I doubt it would be as effective as a heat shield. Any opinions or insights?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw this discussed later in the thread. Thanks for sharing this!

Last edited:
This came out awesome and thanks for sharing this build. I am looking to do the same or similar flooring upgrade on my rig. Quick question if you don't mind...

I saw on Rock Auto there are two options with Essex carpet (with and without Mass Backing). I am assuming you did your build without Mass Backing, right?

I am wondering if I did the mass backing if I could skip the sound dampening layer possibly. From the description of the mass backing it appears it could be good at sound dampening as it is a rubber composite, but I doubt it would be as effective as a heat shield. Any opinions or insights?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw this discussed later in the thread. Thanks for sharing this!
You could do mass backing and the heat shield I used.

You could do mass backing and the heat shield I used.

Thanks, I probably will end up doing this to make installation a bit easier! Which size roll of the heat shield did you buy?