EV Hummer Crab Walk

Nightmare9

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is this really useful? Seems like a gimmick.

THIS seems more useful

jeep-hurricane-hemi.jpg

with rear steer you should have the mechanics to do both, it's just up to the manufacturer whether they provide the controls to do it. Historically the 4 wheel steer vehicles I've had a chance to look at closely do the crab walk thing at low steering angles (like lane changes), and then reverse to do the tight circle thing at high angles like u-turns.

My oldest child has this Hurricane Powerwheel. Same color too; replete with the fake four differential thingamabobs that look like those Bronco 2s from back in the day. Doesn't do that, though.

my kid has it too. Got it on craigslist for $25 with a stripped gearbox that I repaired with a $7 gear. Once I got it apart to see how the motors and gearboxes are arranged it gave me so many ideas on how easily it could have been made both 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer and now just seems like a pile of squandered opportunity.

Last edited:
my kid has it too. Got it on craigslist for $25 with a stripped gearbox that was repaired with a $7 gear. Once I got it apart to see how the motors and gearboxes are arranged it gave me so many ideas on how easily it could have been made both 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer and now just seems like a pile of squandered opportunity.
Never had any gear issues. I think the hi/low/rev is probably corroded, though. Sometimes leave it out on the back lawn to get wattered by the sprinklers. At times, it won't go anywhere (intermittent) and I've read that it's due to water getting in there and corroding the contacts. I've seen a host of forums and YouTube channels that alter those PWs. Can't say htat I've ever seen one with four wheel steering. That'd be a sight to behold.

Never had any gear issues. I think the hi/low/rev is probably corroded, though. Sometimes leave it out on the back lawn to get wattered by the sprinklers. At times, it won't go anywhere (intermittent) and I've read that it's due to water getting in there and corroding the contacts. I've seen a host of forums and YouTube channels that alter those PWs. Can't say htat I've ever seen one with four wheel steering. That'd be a sight to behold.

I think what happens is the screws that hold the motor to the gearbox work themselves loose and allow the gears to pull themselves far enough apart that the driven gear (which is plastic) gets eaten by the drive gear (which is metal). The other side was loose too but hadn't stripped yet; fortunately I caught it and tightened the screws (but was too lazy to go into the garage to get some loctite). Interestingly, the grease inside is very similar in appearance and consistency to the grease that was in my Smittybilt winch, which likely had the same country of origin.

I probably won't go to the effort of adding 4WD or 4WS but I am considering modifying it for 18V. We have a John Deere gator that's not made by power wheels as far as I can tell but is similar in size and features and it's way faster than the Hurricane, so I'd like to speed up the Jeep so it can keep up. My 2 year old is picking up on how to drive them so we'll probably start having races in the next couple of months as he gets tired of being passenger.

Reactions: ejay
Crabs go pretty much straight sideways, that GMC Hummer thing doesn't. It's kinda like me claiming I weigh what I did in high school now that I've lost 10 lbs even though I'm still 30 lbs heavier.

The power wheel thing is irritated me too. Last month a neighbor a few houses down that is moving put two Jeeps in the trash while I was walking the dog. We talked about them for a few minutes and he told me he'd throw them in his trunk and drop them off. I told him I'd rather leave them for someone with kids that could use them. A half hour or so later I saw them getting tossed on the top of an 8 ft tall load random trash on a beat up rusty pick up truck.

FWIW, if my wife posted here she would say that I'm never happy. She'd probably also ask if anyone knew what the hell I'd do with those Jeeps considering our kids are in their 20s.

I forgot about the GM four wheel steer system. My companies rubber tired/high rail loader uses a four wheel, crab, front, rear steer system. Guess who gets to fix it? The mechanical and hydraulic parts are a piece of cake. The electrics, whoo boy!

First of all their entire marketing department should be fired.
Second of all this isn't a suprising thing for them to do with a hummer.
The H1 (also the HMMWV) and I think also the H2s, etc have an identical independant suspension in the front and rear. The only difference is that in the rear the tie rods are attached to a fixed point instead of a steering set up. With modification, any hummer with that front and rear suspension design can be converted to 4WS.

Someone put an old camaro chassis on a hummer frame with 37 inch boggers and made it 4WS
Link