EV in Jeeps Future?

Wrangler 4xe 5200lbs
Rav4 hybrid 3750lbs
RAV4 plug in hybrid is 4300 lbs and they have almost the same length. I was off on my Jeep weight though. I did the regular ICE version. Also the RAV4 is awd. And I know there are differences. I never said they were exactly the same. I was saying Jeep plug-in hybrid tech can be improved. How about the Land Rover Defender PHEV? Weighs more, shaped like a brick, good ground clearance, smaller battery, and yet manages the same mileage.

RAV4 plug in hybrid is 4300 lbs and they have almost the same length. I was off on my Jeep weight though. I did the regular ICE version. Also the RAV4 is awd. And I know there are differences. I never said they were exactly the same. I was saying Jeep plug-in hybrid tech can be improved. How about the Land Rover Defender PHEV? Weighs more, shaped like a brick, good ground clearance, smaller battery, and yet manages the same mileage.
Ah I had seen 3700 for the hybrid, I guess the plug in version is heavier. Weight is only half the issue though. The drag coefficient plays a large role in highway mileage. The numbers are not super easy to find, but it looks like the Wrangler is around .45 to a .48 possibly and the Rav4 somewhere in the low .3s and the Defender at .38. I'm afraid to get those cd numbers down the Wrangler would have to be a bit less Wrangler shaped.

Ah I had seen 3700 for the hybrid, I guess the plug in version is heavier. Weight is only half the issue though. The drag coefficient plays a large role in highway mileage. The numbers are not super easy to find, but it looks like the Wrangler is around .45 to a .48 possibly and the Rav4 somewhere in the low .3s and the Defender at .38. I'm afraid to get those cd numbers down the Wrangler would have to be a bit less Wrangler shaped.

If they make the wrangler more aerodynamic it’ll end up looking like the cybertruck with round headlights. That’s fucking terrifying :ROFLMAO:

I picture an aerodynamic Wrangler looking just like a Liberty.

Zoom zoom :LOL:

88F63850-384B-40B0-ABC4-8D7093EB62DB.png

The biggest problem with the Wrangler is that it is a brick. Drag goes up by the square of the speed and the Wrangler does not have a good coefficient of drag. Highway driving would eat through the battery fairly quickly.
I did the exercise of calculating and researching whether it was feasible to build a TJ with the technology available to us shade tree mechanics. As near as I can tell a TJ's energy consumption would be about about 500 watt hours per mile on the road.

Reactions: mrjp
I did the exercise of calculating and researching whether it was feasible to build a TJ with the technology available to us shade tree mechanics. As near as I can tell a TJ's energy consumption would be about about 500 watt hours per mile on the road.
Is that with a 4" lift and 35's? Seriously though; a Tesla Model 3 with high density batteries and an efficient motor is rated at 240 wH per mile. So with its huge battery, it gets around 300 miles of range. Based on your calculations, the range would be down to about 150.....and that would be if the battery was the same size and density, which would be a huge challenge.

If you are trusting the govt's mpge formula a Jeep getting around 14.5 mpg on gasoline would consume 2500 wh/mi. Well according to the mpge formula and online calculator I found.

EVs should be small cars from smart car to the small 4 doors lines like a Toyota Corolla.

Hybrids should be large 4 doors like the Camry and SUVs/minivans.

Trucks and large SUVs should be converted to NG and diesel.

The Jeep should at best be a diesel plug in hybrid. The more mechanical the diesel the better so they run and last forever. Longer lasting saves resources more than EV will. Even our current Jeeps get much better fuel economy and torque from small diesels.

We're the only country that would think of making an electric F150 or EV Jeep "save" the environment.

I'm out on a Coal/Natural gas/Inefficient Solar or Wind converted to electric powered Jeep. Aside from the physics you have to get around to make it actually work. It is more detrimental to the environment from birth to death of the vehicle and all the resources it uses. After all that, when you run out of power on the trail, where would you plug in? How many Solar panels will you carry with you to be able to charge it and for how long will you sit? Especially at night. Would you carry extra batteries? The Prius is as close to as good as it can get with any electric incorporated automobile. The Tesla is not everything it is claimed to be either.

That’s when you break out the 5500 watt generator and ten gallons of gas. Sit there for the next eight hours and recharge your battery.