EV thread

We got the Tesla in August so now looking at some bills and data. Our electricity bill for this month is $60 more than it was without the Tesla in July. Our gas spending was $720 less. Net savings in one month was $660.

That's pretty awesome! The shifting economics are interesting, does it look similar even including all in cost (car payment, insurance cost, service, etc)?

They should be - but they're not. The choice between a $60K EV and a Diesel car that's paid for? Never mind the bullshit technology in the EV. Without it, the EV would probably be under $40K!

There’s a lot of bullshit technology in my diesel truck but it’s really and I mean really good at what I bought it for. And I could have had a nice EV for the price of it. My new LJ build has blown past EV prices too but again, it should be really good at what it’s built for.

Reactions: pc1p
That's pretty awesome! The shifting economics are interesting, does it look similar even including all in cost (car payment, insurance cost, service, etc)?
Total operating cost is less than what we had before including everything but not by a wildly significant amount. If Alex wasn’t driving 100 miles per day it wouldn’t be worth it. But that’s still crazy considering the tesla is twice the sticker price of our old car.

Reactions: rasband
Total operating cost is less than what we had before including everything but not by a wildly significant amount. If Alex wasn’t driving 100 miles per day it wouldn’t be worth it. But that’s still crazy considering the tesla is twice the sticker price of our old car.

That really is wild. And I bet in the long run you're further ahead than today, just knowing vehicle maintenance with age vs a Tesla's.

Reactions: starkey480
That really is wild. And I bet in the long run you're further ahead than today, just knowing vehicle maintenance with age vs a Tesla's.

Plus my money is going more towards paying off a car and less towards fueling every month which will give me more money when selling this car vs the old

Reactions: Wildman and rasband
Fdnl_7UX0BMz86B.jpeg

We got the Tesla in August so now looking at some bills and data. Our electricity bill for this month is $60 more than it was without the Tesla in July. Our gas spending was $720 less. Net savings in one month was $660.

Have you calculated in battery replacement costs, resale, initial cost, etc?

I'm not suggesting anything in particular, but when I keep pricing models that I could somehow use, I'm like starting at $85k, so that's a lot to make up over just repairing what I've currently got.

If I had an EV I'd totally be adding a bunch of solar too, just in case utilities ever start messing around with your charging. Solar isn't terribly expensive, besides the storage. It's not cheap, just not insane on a residential level, especially DIY. Depending on your net metering or whatever it's called I'd look into grid tied, but there's too many different laws for various systems. In my area, it's pretty much the wild west, but I'm not going to add anything that will unknowingly fry a utility worker.

The annoying thing depending on your usage for the vehicle, is that most people are driving or at work when the solar is producing, so all you could hope for would be to slightly offset your bill. Though it might not help much at all, since it produces when other solar produces. I think a buddy was looking into it and he decided to go off-grid, because there was so little benefit being on grid, plus he may have had some local regs about it. He actually got I think some used vehicle battery cells or something, unfortunately in 36V, but it's still kinda cool for just messing around.

I tend to like the idea of charging something like a golf cart or UTV (though not very widespread at the moment), so you can use it at night or simply use it as some energy storage and charge during the day when you're at work.

Have you calculated in battery replacement costs, resale, initial cost, etc?

I'm not suggesting anything in particular, but when I keep pricing models that I could somehow use, I'm like starting at $85k, so that's a lot to make up over just repairing what I've currently got.

If I had an EV I'd totally be adding a bunch of solar too, just in case utilities ever start messing around with your charging. Solar isn't terribly expensive, besides the storage. It's not cheap, just not insane on a residential level, especially DIY. Depending on your net metering or whatever it's called I'd look into grid tied, but there's too many different laws for various systems. In my area, it's pretty much the wild west, but I'm not going to add anything that will unknowingly fry a utility worker.

The annoying thing depending on your usage for the vehicle, is that most people are driving or at work when the solar is producing, so all you could hope for would be to slightly offset your bill. Though it might not help much at all, since it produces when other solar produces. I think a buddy was looking into it and he decided to go off-grid, because there was so little benefit being on grid, plus he may have had some local regs about it. He actually got I think some used vehicle battery cells or something, unfortunately in 36V, but it's still kinda cool for just messing around.

I tend to like the idea of charging something like a golf cart or UTV (though not very widespread at the moment), so you can use it at night or simply use it as some energy storage and charge during the day when you're at work.

No but the battery and entire drivetrain is under warranty for 120k miles. Gruber motors is near us and can do battery repairs for a few thousand. One of the safety nets that helped me get past that aspect. The battery should last quite a while. I believe the model 3 you can replace independent modules of the battery as well. I believe there are 4 or 5 of them.

Reactions: pc1p and BugoutJeep