EV thread

But more than a dozen states also are looking to follow suit. Oregon will be the third state to adopt the standard. Vermont and Washington just adopted a similar standard.
I live in WA and am COMPLETELY unconcerned about this. Why? Because battery technology won't be developed far enough by then so it will be delayed and delayed and delayed some more. The Dumbocrat legislators are just trying to show "leadership" and pander to their base. The right is pretending that it's actually going to happen to make social media and political points by squealing about a bogeyman.

Reactions: Zorba
Now this is my idea of an EV commuter a Jetson ONE, but at $100k just a little out of my budget at the moment...
Already sold out on 2023 orders.

That looks fun. The speed and distance is all over the map when you look it up. I'm seeing about 60 mph and 20 minute flight time. Costs $90,000 which seems reasonable for a new product like that.

Kind of like a motorcycle for the sky and a high end motorcycle can run $50k.

Now this is my idea of an EV commuter a Jetson ONE, but at $100k just a little out of my budget at the moment...
Already sold out on 2023 orders.

A common theme emerges for me (my dislike of the potential for falling), but I wouldn't take that thing more than 15 feet up 🤣

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/20/por...-fuel-that-could-provide-gas-alternative.html

Porsche and several partners have started production of a climate neutral “e-fuel” aimed at replacing gasoline in vehicles with traditional internal combustion engines.

The German automaker, owned by Volkswagen, said Tuesday that a pilot plant in Chile started commercial production of the alternative fuel. By mid-decade, Porsche is planning to produce millions of gallons of the e-fuel.

Porsche expects to initially use the fuel in motor sports and at its performance experience centers, followed by other uses in the years to come. Ultimately, the plan is for the fuel to be sold to oil companies and others for distribution to consumers.

E-fuels are a type of synthetic methanol produced by a complex process using water, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Companies say they enable the nearly CO2-neutral operation of gas-powered engines. Vehicles would still need to use oil to lubricate the engine.

In the pilot phase, Porsche expects to produce around 130,000 liters (34,342 U.S. gallons) of the e-fuel. Plans are to expand that to about 55 million liters (14.5 million U.S. gallons) by mid-decade, and around 550 million liters (145.3 million U.S. gallons) roughly two years later.
The Chilean plant was initially announced with Porsche in late 2020, when the automaker said it would invest $24 million in the development of the plant and e-fuels. Partners include Chilean operating company Highly Innovative Fuels, Siemens’ renewable energy unit and others.

Company officials say e-fuels can act like gasoline, allowing vehicle owners a more environmentally friendly way to drive. They could also use the same fueling infrastructure as gas, compared with the billions of dollars in investments needed to build a network of charging stations for electric vehicles.

But entirely replacing traditional fossil fuels with e-fuels would be difficult and extremely costly. In 2021, about 134.83 billion gallons of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the U.S., an average of about 369 million gallons per day, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.
Still, production of such a fuel would allow Porsche and others a way to continue producing vehicles such as Porsche’s iconic 911 sports car with a traditional engine alongside, or rather than, a new electric model. While electric vehicles can offer outstanding performance, their driving dynamics differ from traditional engines.

Porsche officials celebrated the beginning of the e-fuel production with the filling of a Porsche 911 with the first synthetic fuel produced at the site.
“The potential of eFuels is huge. There are currently more than 1.3 billion vehicles with combustion engines worldwide. Many of these will be on the roads for decades to come, and eFuels offer the owners of existing cars a nearly carbon-neutral alternative,” Michael Steiner, Porsche’s director of research and development, said in a release.
Steiner and others reiterated Tuesday that the development of the fuel does not change the company’s plans to have 80% of its lineup consist of EVs by 2030.

Reactions: jeepguy03 and pc1p
E-fuels are a type of synthetic methanol produced by a complex process using water, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. Companies say they enable the nearly CO2-neutral operation of gas-powered engines. Vehicles would still need to use oil to lubricate the engine.

any combustion process is going to emit CO2 in basically the same proportion of fuel burned...so I guess it's carbon neutral because they're pulling CO2 back out of the air to make the fuel? But then you still have to put energy INTO the fuel for it to be available to take out, so can't be carbon neutral if it's coming from a coal or NG plant, and we already know solar and wind aren't going to generate enough. Only way it's both feasible and carbon neutral is if it's nuclear powered.

Reactions: ColoJeep
any combustion process is going to emit CO2 in basically the same proportion of fuel burned...so I guess it's carbon neutral because they're pulling CO2 back out of the air to make the fuel? But then you still have to put energy INTO the fuel for it to be available to take out, so can't be carbon neutral if it's coming from a coal or NG plant, and we already know solar and wind aren't going to generate enough. Only way it's both feasible and carbon neutral is if it's nuclear powered.

I don't know much about it.

Formula one is moving to it in 2026

https://www.kxan.com/automotive/f1-...ority) — Formula 1,design is to be introduced.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low

Tesla Leaves Man Stuck Outside in Cold After Winter Weather Renders Car Useless

Tesla-snow-817x429.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Apparition
I'm not sure I'd consider it useless. I've had doors freeze shut also. Usually one side will open.

I'm not sure how the doors open on a Tesla but in the video it looked like he was having a heck of a time. And yes I've had frozen doors before too but I had a handle I could pull on to open it.

I'm not sure how the doors open on a Tesla but in the video it looked like he was having a heck of a time. And yes I've had frozen doors before too but I had a handle I could pull on to open it.

The handles are goofy but there are other cars with similarly hard to grab handles.

Endless geothermal heat from the core is clearly the answer:

my favorite comment: "Removing heat from the mantle through millions of these geothermal bore holes, thus cooling the mantle. What could possibly go wrong?" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: