EV thread

_nc_ohc=WMReHsdrf54AX8uQ84i&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Drone delivery

Now THIS is a good use of technology - and no stupid smartphone involved. The pusher prop, use of an airfoil, and the launcher catapult is a VERY intelligent design. I'm sure there will be problems, but this makes a hell of a lot more sense than the gratuitous tech we're seeing everywhere today.

Reactions: Apparition
Source

"Ram's entrant in the EV pickup truck wars finally went fully official today (5 April 2023), as the brand's response to Ford's F-150 Lightning. And what a response this is!

The Ram 1500 REV targets a range of 500 miles (804 km) on one charge with its insanely massive 229 kWh battery.

If somehow you can locate a 350 kW DC charger, you can add 110 miles (177 km) of range in just 10 minutes.

As the Ram 1500 REV is referred to as a 2025 model-year, we don't expect to see any units on the market earlier than 2024, and most likely late 2024."

arenaev_002.jpg

arenaev_003.jpg

arenaev_004.jpg

arenaev_005.jpg

• Puke
Reactions: Zorba
GM can't seem to get out of its own way to not fuck shit up, heard they just killed off the Bolt, the closest thing they had to a bright spot in the EV wars currently unfolding worldwide.

Apparently their brilliant idea is to focus only on massive SUV/Truck type vehicles like the Hummer EV of which they've sold something like 2 this quarter. The Cadillac Lyriq is another of their disasters they'll be focusing more on, & eventually the Silverardo EV which, like the Ford Lightening, will probably be advertized with some great several hundred mile range, until you try & tow something & it plummets to less than 100 miles :LOL: .

If I didn't know any better I'd think their actual strategy is to get into bankruptcy court posthaste.

People, & I'm talking about the masses, at this stage in the game need cheap EVs, not 100K boats

I can't wait for the eventual demise of the EV.
Environmentalist will knock it because of the mining required to make the batteries and they'll act like they weren't pushing for EV the whole time.
Then we get to bail out the american auto industry again because that's all they will be making.

Maybe I should buy some stock in Toyota, they seem to be the only auto maker that's actually trying to solve the problem without making an even bigger problem.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
I can't wait for the eventual demise of the EV.
Environmentalist will knock it because of the mining required to make the batteries and they'll act like they weren't pushing for EV the whole time.
Then we get to bail out the american auto industry again because that's all they will be making.

Maybe I should buy some stock in Toyota, they seem to be the only auto maker that's actually trying to solve the problem without making an even bigger problem.

Toyota would do better if they'd make a diesel Prius. Then they'd have something.

GM can't seem to get out of its own way to not fuck shit up, heard they just killed off the Bolt, the closest thing they had to a bright spot in the EV wars currently unfolding worldwide.

Apparently their brilliant idea is to focus only on massive SUV/Truck type vehicles like the Hummer EV of which they've sold something like 2 this quarter. The Cadillac Lyriq is another of their disasters they'll be focusing more on, & eventually the Silverardo EV which, like the Ford Lightening, will probably be advertized with some great several hundred mile range, until you try & tow something & it plummets to less than 100 miles :LOL: .

If I didn't know any better I'd think their actual strategy is to get into bankruptcy court posthaste.

People, & I'm talking about the masses, at this stage in the game need cheap EVs, not 100K boats

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2023/04/gmc-hummer-ev-battery-pack-replacements-under-way/

GMC Hummer EV Battery Pack Replacements Under Way​

APR 25, 2023

As GM Authority previously reported, certain units of the 2022 GMC Hummer EV Pickup were recalled late last year for an issue related to improperly sealed battery packs, where an affected vehicle had battery packs that could allow water to enter and cause a short circuit. Thankfully, General Motors has now begun the process of replacing incorrectly sealed battery packs in affected Hummer EV Pickups units.

Affecting certain 2022 and 2023 model-year vehicles, dealerships are to replace the high-voltage battery packs. If gone unchecked, affected vehicles could lose propulsion while driving, thus posing an increased risk of a crash or serious injury.

It’s worth noting that GM has tagged this recall with identification number N22380031. In addition, The General makes special note that dealers are required to use a forklift to safely replace the battery in order to remain in compliance with applicable federal, state, providential and local laws.

Any customer that wants to check if their vehicle is affected by this recall can do so at the GM Owner Center website by visiting my.gm.com/recalls and entering their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Customers can also do the same by visiting the NHTSA’s website at vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.

As a reminder, there are two variants of the GMC Hummer EV – the Hummer EV Pickup and Hummer EV SUV. Despite both being based on the GM BT1 platform, each variant actually boasts its own power output. The Hummer EV Pickup Edition 1 produces 1,000 horsepower and roughly 1,200 pound-feet of torque, while the Hummer EV SUV Edition 1 develops 830 horsepower and about 1,200 pound-feet of torque. Both figures are sourced from GM Ultium battery and GM Ultium Drive motor technologies, which power all four wheels.

Both Hummer EV variants are produced at the GM Factory Zero plant (previously known as the GM Detroit-Hamtramck plant) in Michigan. The Hummer EV Pickup began production in November 2021, while the Hummer EV SUV began production earlier this year.

https://insideevs.com/news/660537/u... EV Pickup sales,the cumulative number is 857.

US: GMC Hummer EV Pickup Truck Sales Almost Stalled In Q1 2023​

Only two units were delivered, which is the worst result since its launch in Q4 2021.

Apr 04, 2023

The GMC brand reports 130,608 vehicle deliveries during the first quarter of 2023 in the United States, which is 7.6 percent more than a year ago.

Unfortunately, once again we don't have any good news about customer deliveries of the all-electric GMC Hummer EV Pickup. According to the latest report, deliveries almost stalled in Q1 and amounted to just two units.

That's a 98 percent decrease from 99 units a year ago and the worst result since the market launch when a symbolic vehicle was delivered in Q4 2021.

For reference, in 2022, GMC delivered 854 Hummer EV Pickups. Currently, the cumulative number is 857.

There is a reason why the ramp-up is so slow - actually, it was progressing in Q1-Q3 2022, but then it was paused. The reason is that the Factory ZERO in Michigan (Detroit and Hamtramck) started preparations to handle additional Ultium-based models (mainly the Chevrolet Silverado EV).

As we understand, the Chevrolet Silverado EV is a priority for General Motors right now, because it's a higher volume and higher value project. Not only that, the electric Silverado must be ready for prime time to compete with the Ford F-150 Lightning and other electric pickups.

The plant is being upgraded so the Chevrolet Silverado EV is expected to enter the market in late Spring. Meanwhile, GM says that Factory ZERO is building and shipping GMC Hummer EV Pickups and GMC Hummer EV SUVs, which means that we should expect a far better Q2.

Let's recall that the company closed reservations for the GMC Hummer EV Pickup and GMC Hummer EV SUV models in September, with more than 90,000 units reserved (backed by $100 refundable deposits). In October 2022, we heard that the Hummer EV duo is sold out for two years.

We hope that GMC will find a way to produce at least a few "thousand" per quarter or the queue will never end.

you got that right, the brain trust at Toyota has been sounding the alarm bell for years that EVs aren't going to work. Their strategy is (or seems) much better, which is a multi-faceted approach to the problem as each region of the world is different with different needs, infrastructure an so forth. ICE, hybrids, plug in EVs, hydrogen, diesel, CNG and so on, give people choices... If I live in Alaska an EV is probably never going to work for me for example. The invisible hand that is the free market will guide the entrepreneurs & money men that back investments in the future in the right direction.

I don't know where this whole thing is going but if it ends one day with the majority of us driving EVs I'm fine with that, so long as it was market-driven rather than gubment-foisted because the latter of the two never, ever works out well for the people.

No shit. If EVs are the future - and I really don't think they are anytime soon, huge vehicles and/or vehicles loaded with $50K of useless "technology" aren't the answer.

agreed, it seems though that American manufacturers long ago gave up the market for practical vehicles & went all in on big, fat, stupid/high profit choices only - great, when the economy is going well & they have a never ending stream of shitheads that need a fully loaded F-150 to carry air back & forth to their office job. But those days are not these days, maybe they'll return I don't know, but to continue to cede the entire market of smaller, efficient & practical cars that a huge chunk of Americans could really use to Japan & Korea yesterday & China tomorrow seems really stupid & shortsighted.

• Love
Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
The American car market is pretty much unique in the world. Basic transportation has never done well here. Everything is an overpowered Luxury car loaded with needless, expensive, and unreliable "technology". American's are so effete and lazy that they can't even roll their own windows!

Reactions: Blondie70
The American car market is pretty much unique in the world. Basic transportation has never done well here. Everything is an overpowered Luxury car loaded with needless, expensive, and unreliable "technology". American's are so effete and lazy that they can't even roll their own windows!

200.gif