EV thread

My wife just got a model 3 for her commute to work. We got it because my wife is boujee and likes nice cars, but we were spending wayyy too much on gas for her Volvo S90. She also wanted HOV lane access which you need full electric car for in AZ. We also got the model 3 long range because we do so many road trips for track meets every spring and summer. The long range we got has an estimated range of 370 miles. Real world energy consumption on my wife’s commutes shows she would get 360 miles of range driving 65 mph to work.

Round trip, she drives about 100 miles each day going to work and to workout after. We’ve gathered this typical day uses about 24.6 kWh. Our yearly average electricity cost is $.0985 per kWh. So it is costs us $2.42 each day to go 100 miles. Compare that to our price of gas right now, $4 for unleaded, she is getting 165 miles per the cost of 1 gallon of gas. Adding all of this up with car payments and all that and we are saving money each month with the Tesla versus her Volvo S90. Not to mention the reduced costs of maintenance since we won’t need brakes or oil changes or any of that.

As far as driving the thing goes, I love it. It’s insanely fun to drive a car that is that fast and quiet at the same time. I know everyone likes the sound of cars but it is very pleasant zooming around town in quiet comfort as well.

See this makes sense. I just don't like the government putting a huge thumb on the scales. I drive 12 a miles to and from work instead of 100 and my wife works from home. So our fuel costs are low compared to insurance and taxes. I would pay more in property taxes per year on a new EV than gas costs me now. A new EV makes no economic sense so why not let me continue using up already deployed older resourses? I did finally turn over 10,000 miles on the Jeep since I bought it in October 2019.

A new EV only makes sense for me when they force out all other options and give me no choice.

Then they will do this on your house and EV charger, because you aren't sharing your electricity in a fair, inclusive, an non-racist manner. All they need to do is pass more laws forcing your charging system to be smart grid controlled.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...ed-out-of-thermostats-during-energy-emergency

Last edited:
Batteries suck for long distance driving and they're even worse for towing. They just can't store enough energy/lb. Batteries make more sense as you move to smaller vehicles and less required range.
They're good for daily commutes.
They're fantastic for running around town. Better than gas.
Going smaller, they make great golf carts.
Electric bikes are terrific. Far better than gas for most uses.
Same for R/C cars. Electric dominates.

I think the push for electric OTR semi trucks is stupid. And electric cargo ships are even dumber. It's just a terrible use of resources. Like the government paying off student loans for households making $200k.

When will the sates start charging extra $$ for EV ? Right now in CA gas tax is 18.4 cents for Fed and 53.9 cents for state tax per gallon plus sales tax :mad:

Here is a full breakdown of the added cost:
  • Taxes:
    Federal Excise Tax: 18 cents per gallon
    State Excise Tax: 54 cents per gallon
    Sales Tax (estimated): 10 cents per gallon
  • Fees:
    Low Carbon Gas Programs: 22 cents per gallon
    Greenhouse Gas Programs: 15 cents per gallon
    Underground Tank Storage: 2 cents per gallon
So what will happen to the sates income stream to the state when no one is buying gasoline, well you guessed it either the registration fees will be going WAY UP or there will be some other way to tax the EV drivers. After all what is going to pay for all the road repairs when these taxes are not being paid :unsure:

When will the sates start charging extra $$ for EV ? Right now in CA gas tax is 18.4 cents for Fed and 53.9 cents for state tax per gallon plus sales tax :mad:

Here is a full breakdown of the added cost:
  • Taxes:
    Federal Excise Tax: 18 cents per gallon
    State Excise Tax: 54 cents per gallon
    Sales Tax (estimated): 10 cents per gallon
  • Fees:
    Low Carbon Gas Programs: 22 cents per gallon
    Greenhouse Gas Programs: 15 cents per gallon
    Underground Tank Storage: 2 cents per gallon
So what will happen to the sates income stream to the state when no one is buying gasoline, well you guessed it either the registration fees will be going WAY UP or there will be some other way to tax the EV drivers. After all what is going to pay for all the road repairs when these taxes are not being paid :unsure:

They're going to start charging on EV, as soon as people are forced to continue to buy them. Hopefully it'll be market forces because they're so much better, more reliable and economical, but that's not how it works when government controls the market. The government owns a big sledgehammer and they can only smash things equally.

They're going to start charging on EV, as soon as people are forced to continue to buy them. Hopefully it'll be market forces because they're so much better, more reliable and economical, but that's not how it works when government controls the market. The government owns a big sledgehammer and they can only smash things equally.

Not true. They can absolutely smash things unequally. See: the disappearing middle class.

Batteries suck for long distance driving and they're even worse for towing. They just can't store enough energy/lb. Batteries make more sense as you move to smaller vehicles and less required range.
They're good for daily commutes.
They're fantastic for running around town. Better than gas.
Going smaller, they make great golf carts.
Electric bikes are terrific. Far better than gas for most uses.
Same for R/C cars. Electric dominates.

I think the push for electric OTR semi trucks is stupid. And electric cargo ships are even dumber. It's just a terrible use of resources. Like the government paying off student loans for households making $200k.

I agree with that. My wife was talking about an electric truck and I just don’t see it. If I get a truck I want to be able to tow. The range doesn’t seem to be there when towing electric. For a commuter car and for some road-tripping to bordering states the long range EVs seem like a good option right now. Curious what direction the gov will take to make up for loss in gas tax.

Reactions: rasband
I'll be honest this discussion has me looking at the F150 lightning for "my wife's truck". I really do like it, but I can't get the 10k lb towing without going for $80k (my build was $87k) or more. Technically we could probably get by with a bit less towing for her truck but for anything over $40k and an oversized truck, I'd really rather pass and just pickup another used 3/4 or ton truck, while I can still get them and not have any really limits on what I need to do before having to get a semi.

Maybe 1 day something will make sense for a smaller EV truck, which my wife and I really prefer, but they just don't make 1 tons in compact sized trucks.

I'll be honest this discussion has me looking at the F150 lightning for "my wife's truck". I really do like it, but I can't get the 10k lb towing without going for $80k (my build was $87k) or more. Technically we could probably get by with a bit less towing for her truck but for anything over $40k and an oversized truck, I'd really rather pass and just pickup another used 3/4 or ton truck, while I can still get them and not have any really limits on what I need to do before having to get a semi.

Maybe 1 day something will make sense for a smaller EV truck, which my wife and I really prefer, but they just don't make 1 tons in compact sized trucks.

I wonder when the Maverick will go EV?

EDIT: It's coming

1662063861267.png

I just looked online at the Rivian R1T. It looks fun, but reading the Vegan leather made me worried about being exposed to Monkey Pox. Though I'd totally own 1 if someone gave me the truck.

I just looked online at the Rivian R1T. It looks fun, but reading the Vegan leather made me worried about being exposed to Monkey Pox. Though I'd totally own 1 if someone gave me the truck.

I did read that there mileage goes down almost 50% when towing a heavy load

Reactions: BugoutJeep
…I won't buy a self defense pistol with "safeties" they are either additional items that will break or they give room to deadly habits). May as well come with a complimentary clown nose, hair, shoes and makeup.

I agreed with a lot of what you wrote but this is where we part ways. I love a 1911 grip safety, thumb safety and all…

Are EV's going to eliminate traffic jams like on the 405? How many cars are going to die sitting in traffic running the AC?
I see toll roads coming in the future.....

Reactions: BugoutJeep
I agreed with a lot of what you wrote but this is where we part ways. I love a 1911 grip safety, thumb safety and all…

1911 is a different animal and I should have stated for concealed carry and not just blanket self defense. My main backup self defense pistol is an AR style pistol.

Though there are compact 1911s and even a full size is very thin, I don't have one and I prefer them on a belt or mostly shoulder region. And if you want to access that pistol quickly, it needs to be cocked and locked and in those instances I do like a palm safety too. I guess I tend to carry 1911s for different reasons too. Typically I'd be on the farm or the road where I'm in a vehicle or on equipment and I like the thinness, I love the looks and it's heavy enough that you know it's there and you didn't lose it. Of course my other issue with the 1911 is that mine is nostalgic and I don't want to mess it up and at the farm I tend towards carrying my 10mm 15+1 or when hunting I like a magnum pistol round and my 1911 is standard 45 ACP which I don't have as much ammo to feed it.

I've carried pistols with safety levers before and I've drawn them and the safety lever was not where it was before it was holstered and that does 2 things IMO that if that's the only safety, then it doesn't feel that safe to carry with 1 in the chamber and 2 it's a distraction if you're going to draw and shoot quickly.

1911 is a different animal and I should have stated for concealed carry and not just blanket self defense. My main backup self defense pistol is an AR style pistol.

Though there are compact 1911s and even a full size is very thin, I don't have one and I prefer them on a belt or mostly shoulder region. And if you want to access that pistol quickly, it needs to be cocked and locked and in those instances I do like a palm safety too. I guess I tend to carry 1911s for different reasons too. Typically I'd be on the farm or the road where I'm in a vehicle or on equipment and I like the thinness, I love the looks and it's heavy enough that you know it's there and you didn't lose it. Of course my other issue with the 1911 is that mine is nostalgic and I don't want to mess it up and at the farm I tend towards carrying my 10mm 15+1 or when hunting I like a magnum pistol round and my 1911 is standard 45 ACP which I don't have as much ammo to feed it.

I've carried pistols with safety levers before and I've drawn them and the safety lever was not where it was before it was holstered and that does 2 things IMO that if that's the only safety, then it doesn't feel that safe to carry with 1 in the chamber and 2 it's a distraction if you're going to draw and shoot quickly.

Who knew they made EV pistols?

I wouldn't be surprised if nitro powders and other powders get banned. We may have to go EV energy arms.

I mean gun owners have been threatened with nukes and F15s lately, so I'm not really certain, but it kinda sounds like the leaders don't have my and my community's best interests in mind.

Reactions: Blondie70