EV thread

I had a 77 300D, non turbo, 5 cylinder 0-60 in 24.8 seconds (yes I timed it) but man that thing pulled my mothers horse trailer loaded with 2 horses back then. We even flew to the factory in Germany to pick it up and spent 4 weeks touring 13 countries in Europe before shipping it back to NY.

Stuttgart? Toured their facility 20 years ago and was impressed with what they were doing. All I could afford at the time was a good ornament souvenir.

Reactions: cliffish and Zorba
It was 33 F yesterday and we drove 324 miles. Averaged 23 mpg. I'm taking it to the dealer next week to see if something is wrong. The hybrid is averaging 25mpg city and highway since we bought it. Well off the 33/30 listed.

I looked at a site where people list their actual mileage and the lowest was 28 mpg. If the dealer says it's fine, I'm selling it and buying something more efficient. Like a 2000 Toyota Camry.

• Wow
Reactions: ColoJeep and BlueC
It was 33 F yesterday and we drove 324 miles. Averaged 23 mpg. I'm taking it to the dealer next week to see if something is wrong. The hybrid is averaging 25mpg city and highway since we bought it. Well off the 33/30 listed.

I looked at a site where people list their actual mileage and the lowest was 28 mpg. If the dealer says it's fine, I'm selling it and buying something more efficient. Like a 2000 Toyota Camry.

which one do you have? That mileage does sound low for a hybrid, guessing it's a truck or SUV?

I have 2 8th gen Civics, one with over 250K, and both average 35 mpg with a 50/50 driving mix. One just averaged 38 mpg on a trip with probably 80% highway driving at 75 mph. ;)

which one do you have? That mileage does sound low for a hybrid, guessing it's a truck or SUV?

2023 Hyundai Santa Fe. It should get 30 highway, 33 city. In the 5000 miles we've driven it it's average for the accumulated miles is 25 mpg 50/50 city and interstate. Our 2011 Honda Minivan averaged 22 mpg for the last year at over 150,000 miles. And my father in law's F150 gets better gas mileage on the interstate.

Huge dissapointment to say the least. On the interstate at 80 mph the van got 24 mpg loaded down with christmas junk, luggage, and 4 people. This thing gets 21-23 mpg with just the 2 of us. The van was way bigger and seated 8 if needed.

They sized the gas tank for better mileage so our range sucks too. The battery portion must not be working correctly and we're just dragging around the added weight with a smaller engine.

I may as well take the Jeep.

I have 2 8th gen Civics, one with over 250K, and both average 35 mpg with a 50/50 driving mix. One just averaged 38 mpg on a trip with probably 80% highway driving at 75 mph. ;)

my first generation Crosstrek gets 33mpg, mostly non-highway where I think it actually does better anyway, which I'm pretty happy with given it's AWD and kind of brick shaped. The Accord that it replaced did better on gas, especially on the highway.

A Honda of some sort is the odds on favorite for my next car purchase.

2023 Hyundai Santa Fe. It should get 30 highway, 33 city. In the 5000 miles we've driven it it's average for the accumulated miles is 25 mpg 50/50 city and interstate. Our 2011 Honda Minivan averaged 22 mpg for the last year at over 150,000 miles. And my father in law's F150 gets better gas mileage on the interstate.

Huge dissapointment to say the least. On the interstate at 80 mph the van got 24 mpg loaded down with christmas junk, luggage, and 4 people. This thing gets 21-23 mpg with just the 2 of us. The van was way bigger and seated 8 if needed.

They sized the gas tank for better mileage so our range sucks too. The battery portion must not be working correctly and we're just dragging around the added weight with a smaller engine.

I may as well take the Jeep.

Man that's atrocious, sounds like something may be wrong with that, though some of the advertised numbers I've seen for larger hybrid vehicles haven't been that impressive, certainly not for the increased cost. Tiny-ish purpose built hybrids do great as advertised, seems they tried to jam these systems into bigger vehicles without much thought, more of a gimmick.

I don't know what their numbers are now, but I remember when they introduced the Crosstrek hybrid it's mpg rating was only something like 2mpg higher than the plain gas one, that's ridiculous, I'm not handing over 8 grand extra just to have the little hybrid badge on the tale-gate. I'm not sure if they're even still making them, can't imagine they sold many with those shitty numbers.

Reactions: BlueC and ColoJeep
Ordered a new BMW several years ago. It will be the last. I can’t name a single thing I liked about it.

Which one? I’ve had a different experience: My wife has had a couple of X3s. Being from Detroit, I was biased against them from the start but they’ve grown on me. The electronics/nannies annoy me a little but there’s a button in the middle of the dash that turns them all off with one push. The current one has the 3L turbo straight 6 and the ZF 8spd auto. Very smooth, good power, nice sound and the best shifting auto I’ve owned. 27 hwy/21 city, actual. Handling is good for an SUV. Steering is precise and responsive albeit somewhat numb like almost all modern cars with electric power assist. The brakes are fine but could be better. EBC pads and rotors helped. We’ve had the current one for 8 years and 125K. It hasn’t been to the dealership or any other shop since purchased. Oil changes, brakes and tires are all it has needed. In a world where you can spend $100K on a pickup or a wrangler, I’m satisfied with the price. Also, they are assembled in Spartanburg SC. We will probably replace it with another in 1-2 years when they come out with the next generation.

Reactions: Apparition
Which one? I’ve had a different experience: My wife has had a couple of X3s. Being from Detroit, I was biased against them from the start but they’ve grown on me. The electronics/nannies annoy me a little but there’s a button in the middle of the dash that turns them all off with one push. The current one has the 3L turbo straight 6 and the ZF 8spd auto. Very smooth, good power, nice sound and the best shifting auto I’ve owned. 27 hwy/21 city, actual. Handling is good for an SUV. Steering is precise and responsive albeit somewhat numb like almost all modern cars with electric power assist. The brakes are fine but could be better. EBC pads and rotors helped. We’ve had the current one for 8 years and 125K. It hasn’t been to the dealership or any other shop since purchased. Oil changes, brakes and tires are all it has needed. In a world where you can spend $100K on a pickup or a wrangler, I’m satisfied with the price. Also, they are assembled in Spartanburg SC. We will probably replace it with another in 1-2 years when they come out with the next generation.

X1 so it’s definitely not the top of the line model. Cost in the ball park of a fully loaded Ford escape but had better maintenance plan since everything was covered and they had courtesy cars.

I wasn’t impressed with the interior nor anything about its handling and capabilities. Hated that knob thing in the console when I had touch screens in my vehicles.

The ex got it in the divorce so I heard all the issues of things not working from the daughter. Since then the ex has had an X3 and X5 hybrid so she must like them but for her it’s likely all about the emblem.

It’s not really a fair comparison to my other vehicles though. All of my trucks cost more. Everything else I own is 10 years older than it was.

I’ve had coworkers that had BMW cars which seemed much nicer but I never drove them and have no personal need or desire for a car anymore.

Reactions: Woodrow
X1 so it’s definitely not the top of the line model. Cost in the ball park of a fully loaded Ford escape but had better maintenance plan since everything was covered and they had courtesy cars.

I wasn’t impressed with the interior nor anything about its handling and capabilities. Hated that knob thing in the console when I had touch screens in my vehicles.

The ex got it in the divorce so I heard all the issues of things not working from the daughter. Since then the ex has had an X3 and X5 hybrid so she must like them but for her it’s likely all about the emblem.

It’s not really a fair comparison to my other vehicles though. All of my trucks cost more. Everything else I own is 10 years older than it was.

I’ve had coworkers that had BMW cars which seemed much nicer but I never drove them and have no personal need or desire for a car anymore.

That makes sense to me. We drove the X1 before she got her 1st X3 in 2012. Dynamically, that generation X1 at least, seemed significantly less well executed than the 3. Also, size-wise the 3 was/is the sweet spot for us. You’re right, I think, that the BMW interiors are generally a little spartan compared to others in class. I’m pretty lucky that my wife has never been into brand status. I think she’s over it now, but when she initially got the X3, the whole BMW thing (which is definitely a thing for some) made her a little self-conscious. I peeled off all the badging I could but there are roundels everywhere (wheels, hood, tailgate). In the end, she just really likes her car because it drives well and carries her stuff. After searching around for other options a few different times, I agree.

That makes sense to me. We drove the X1 before she got her 1st X3 in 2012. Dynamically, that generation X1 at least, seemed significantly less well executed than the 3. Also, size-wise the 3 was/is the sweet spot for us. You’re right, I think, that the BMW interiors are generally a little spartan compared to others in class. I’m pretty lucky that my wife has never been into brand status. I think she’s over it now, but when she initially got the X3, the whole BMW thing (which is definitely a thing for some) made her a little self-conscious. I peeled off all the badging I could but there are roundels everywhere (wheels, hood, tailgate). In the end, she just really likes her car because it drives well and carries her stuff. After searching around for other options a few different times, I agree.

Pretty sure ours was made in Germany so there’s probably some differences due to one being focused on the American market too.

I hated Mrs Apps Fusion hybrid too which was a really nice car at the time so I can be picky.

Reactions: Woodrow
Pretty sure ours was made in Germany so there’s probably some differences due to one being focused on the American market too.

I hated Mrs Apps Fusion hybrid too which was a really nice car at the time so I can be picky.

Yeah, I could see a guy like you being happy in an LS powered LJ on 40s. Oh, wait…

• Haha
1707943710209.png

Saw my first Cybertruck today. That thing is even uglier in person than it is in photographs - particularly ugly from the behind it rear view. I shudder to think what that thing probablty looks like in my rear view mirror!

• Love
Reactions: BlueC
Saw my first Cybertruck today. That thing is even uglier in person than it is in photographs - particularly ugly from the behind it rear view. I shudder to think what that thing probablty looks like in my rear view mirror!

Did you stop them and ask to check out their screens?

Well, that is something I will agree with him on.
They ARE over-engineered, and way more difficult to work on than expected.

Of the multiple BMW's and VW's i've owned (and still own) this statement is truth.

However, that is also partially the reason why they are just so damn nice to drive.

I tried to like German stuff. I am sure the high end stuff is very nice. One of the "nicer" new VW SUV's I've been in with probably 20k miles didn't blow me away (or really even impress me at all) over my wife's 285k mile 11 year old Yukon XL - granted GM has pretty much got that platformed nailed down.

Edit: We looked at getting something new/almost new and smaller. Drove a few things (very few vehicles meet my performance requirements) and determined almost every newer car rides worse and has more road noise than an 11 year old beater. Not looking to spend $30k+ for a downgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaximusLJR06